What does the 269 stand for in Hawkmoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
Because I'm a dirty girl and my mind is usually in the gutter, I thought it was for 2 (as in people) for a 69. I guess that is the cleanest way to put it.

Anyone actually know the answer?

Its at least in part for an interstate system in the U.S. Bono indicated that the song was written as they were riding in the tour bus (which even during Joshua Tree they were still using to a certain degree). Bono said the rythym of moving along on the highway was how they came up with the basic song structure. There could be more to it, but I think thats at least part of it.

J_NP said:

Interesting, but most of those are just fan theories. I know I read an interview where it was Bono and/or Edge back during the Rattle & Hum release time who talked about how they came up with the music while going down the highway on the bus and the perpetual feel or motion of that inspired the music for it. I also thought they based it on an interstate number they were traveling on. I may have read the number part though in an article about the band and not an interview with the band. So it may be speculation by some writer also. :shrug:

Ok, just consulted "Into The Heart". According to that Hawkmoon is named after a place in Rapid City, South Dakota and it was Edge that indicated this. They also indicate the 269 is indeed the number of takes it took to complete (according to Joe O'Herlihy).

youtwohearts said:
Because I'm a dirty girl and my mind is usually in the gutter, I thought it was for 2 (as in people) for a 69. I guess that is the cleanest way to put it.

:lmao: Are you serious??? My, that's creative thinking....

Re: Re: What does the 269 stand for in Hawkmoon

shika said:

:lmao: Are you serious??? My, that's creative thinking....

talk bout creativity
Imagine in the words

Like a city needs a name , I need your V.....

:lmao:

youtwohearts said:

:lol:

Told you you were wrong :sexywink:

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I'm pretty sure that when he was writing it, he saw a highway sign that stated a town called Hawkmoon was 269 miles away

If you'd gone to the U2FAQs.com link, you would've read that there is apparently no town in the US (where Bono is said to have written the song) called Hawkmoon or Hawk Moon.

It's the number of times it took to mix the song as previously stated as far as I am aware

Edge said in a magazine they were driving through Rapid City, North Dakota and Bono saw a sign that said Hawkmoon and it started there. Of course....

There is no Rapid City, North Dakota. Most likely he meant Rapid City, South Dakota.

Between Minneapolis and Denver is the only route that would come close to there. They did play both of those dates consecutively in November 1987, so it makes a little sense.

Now, there is no Hawkmoon anywhere in America, but there is a Blackhawk outside of Rapid City, SD. So my guess is it started there with Blackhawk Moon and after some Bongolese, it became Hawkmoon because it was easier to sing.

Just go straight to the page of a recording engineer from the Rattle and Hum mixing process - this guy is fricken' hilarious! :laugh:

http://www.bobvogt.com/high_bias/rattle_and_hum.htm

In the end, Jimmy was doing his deal where he would get 3 or 4 major guys to mix the studio songs, then pick the best (most didn't know). I worked with Don Smith, on "Hawkmoon 269" in the Mix Room, and he smoked it. The song was called "Rolling Thunder" the whole record and then renamed. The 269 comes from the fact that there were 269 seriouslly mixed takes of the song by a bunch of engineers on Agfa 468 1/2" tape, until Don's final, and he was proud.

Also

Robbie took the bass track from the sync head and ran it through a delay on most songs, because Adam was way late with the kick (i.e. sucked).

LOL

Back
Top Bottom