What does it mean to be a U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annie_vox

Refugee
I like to make this question to people. Now I make it to you. Why do you consider yourself a U2 fan? What does it mean? I know everybody has a diferent way of being a fan. But what about you? Have all the cds and singles? Follow them around the world? Know everything about them?

If you feel love for the band, and think you're a fan.. then IMO you are.. :)

I don't like people argueing over who's a bigger fan, in my opinion, everybody is a fan of the same level, only some people have met them more, been to more shows, that kinda stuff.. it's more a matter of money.. than a matter of affection.
it's not like people don't WANT to go to shows, or meet the band..

Galeongirl said:
If you feel love for the band, and think you're a fan.. then IMO you are.. :)

I don't like people argueing over who's a bigger fan, in my opinion, everybody is a fan of the same level, only some people have met them more, been to more shows, that kinda stuff.. it's more a matter of money.. than a matter of affection.
it's not like people don't WANT to go to shows, or meet the band..

I think that's the best answer I could get because that's how I feel too;)

You're a true fan when you pay $40 for a u2.com membership. Thats love!

partygirlvox said:
You're a true fan when you pay $40 for a u2.com membership. Thats love!

so practically what you're saying is that I am not a true fan, because I'm unable to get money across over the internet and therefor can't be a member of that site, nor a premium here?

this is what I mean with the neverending argue on the bigger fan thing... it's all :blahblah:

Right GG, I couldn't make it to any shows on the Vertigo tour because I couldn't afford the expenses, but does that make me less of a fan than those who saw, like, 20 shows? Heck no! My love for U2 knows no end.

ETA: I don't think I'm a "bigger" fan than anyone else either. If you love U2s music, you're a fan, simple as that. It's just to what degree do you express your fandom, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
Right GG, I couldn't make it to any shows on the Vertigo tour because I couldn't afford the expenses, but does that make me less of a fan than those who saw, like, 20 shows? Heck no! My love for U2 knows no end.

:yes: glad somebody sees my point :)
it's in the human nature to compete, and always put people in boxes, but still I don't think it's right..
We're all U2 fans, otherwise we wouldn't be on this site in the first place, and we're all members here who share the love for the band. that's a thing that makes us equal, and why should others be different because they've had more luck/money?

:heart: U2!

Galeongirl said:

so practically what you're saying is that I am not a true fan, because I'm unable to get money across over the internet and therefor can't be a member of that site, nor a premium here?

this is what I mean with the neverending argue on the bigger fan thing... it's all :blahblah:

I think she was being sarcastic, b/c the site totally sucks and (IMHO) is not worth getting paid $40 to join.

To me, the definition of a U2 fan is one who enjoys U2's music. Simple enough.

But why can't someone be a U2 fan even if they didn't like one of their albums? I don't think "fan" has to equal "loving everything an artist has ever done."

Maybe I'm reading into much into the "never swayed, stayed true" comment. :shrug:

Galeongirl said:

chill. it was a sarcastic remark.

corianderstem said:
But why can't someone be a U2 fan even if they didn't like one of their albums? I don't think "fan" has to equal "loving everything an artist has ever done."

Maybe I'm reading into much into the "never swayed, stayed true" comment. :shrug:

Yeah I agree with you;) I've been a fan for about 6 years. Indeed I have all the albums but I can't say I know every song they ever made because I don't have all the b-sides etc... There are other bands that I like a lot and I enjoy going to their concerts. I love music ater all, but when it comes to U2... nothing can be compared... I'm glad I'm a fan...

Back
Top Bottom