What Do You Think U2 Will Play At The Super Bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopFly

War Child
They have about 15 minutes to go to town....let's say three songs. And it can be either what you WANT them to play or what you think they actually WILL play.

Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Ouf Of
One

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Something that will be easy for the Super Bowl Dancing Leaders to choreograph.

And they have a TOTAL of 15 minutes to put up stage, play and tear down. So really U2 is performing for 7 or 8 minutes. Two songs. Will have to rock to get football fans out of their chairs. So probably Elevation and then maybe something classic like Pride.

Although last year, Aerosmith brought all those extra people out. So maybe they may cose with What's Goin' On.

I say the usual 2 songs for a spot on TV.
Stuck and Walk On....but then again, superbowl halftime shows usually have more energy so maybe Elevation, yeah that's it, Elevation and POE/Walk On/Halleluhah or however you spell hallelujha...

Elevation would be amazing... if the stadium were filled with U2 fans. (It won't be.) And the REALLY BIG audience will be watching at home, so I expect a mix of the uplifting and the well known:

Beautiful Day
Peace On Earth / Walk On

They are going to do a 10 minute medley of "Red Light", "The Wanderer", "Big Girls Are Best", "Grace", and "Lemon"......

Larry will be dressed in full drag, showing his opposition to Bono's choice not to play "One"...

Actually, I think "Beautiful Day" and "One" were reported to be the choices...

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

In The Name Of Favre!
wink.gif

My picks

Where The Shreets Have No Name and Walk On!

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

I have this crazy idea that just POPped into my head. How about the band coming out of a giant lemon, then straight into Discotheque. Whad'ya think?

Originally posted by Danospano:
I sense a catfight is the emminent future. Amy and Angel? Please, spare no thoughts about ripping off each other's clothing.

Woo-Hoo

Lovely!
wink.gif

No - I wasn't intending for a catfight, I was just commenting that I don't think the set list is common knowledge as even the resourceful people around Interference are still speculating on the setlist.

I don't fight sisters (girls).

But you know - speaking of taking off clothing - we could all start talking more about the Interference calendar and what babes should be on it and for what month
wink.gif

Whatever on the cat fight. That certainly was not my intention.

I wiil try to remember the list I read this on, but John (band security) said in Miami this past weekend the band was working on a reworked version of Beautiful Day for this, and will also do One. They are not committing to any more songs than that, because they are afraid Bono will run over time like he did at Live Aid. They are under a very strict schedule. The reason I said this was common knowledge is because it had been discussed quite a bit in other forums and I was surprised no one here knew it. I just read numerous forums and don't have time at work to go back and reinvent the wheel. Take the info for what it is worth.

Amy

I hope they play Walk On instead of Stuck. Sorry, but I'm just sick of Stuck...

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

Originally posted by amybatt:
Whatever on the cat fight. That certainly was not my intention.

I wiil try to remember the list I read this on, but John (band security) said in Miami this past weekend the band was working on a reworked version of Beautiful Day for this, and will also do One. They are not committing to any more songs than that, because they are afraid Bono will run over time like he did at Live Aid. They are under a very strict schedule. The reason I said this was common knowledge is because it had been discussed quite a bit in other forums and I was surprised no one here knew it. I just read numerous forums and don't have time at work to go back and reinvent the wheel. Take the info for what it is worth.

Amy

Thanks for the info, Amy!

We shall see what happens!

I could totally see them doing "Streets"...everyone in the stands waving red glow sticks while Bono runs a lap around the stadium floor. Cheesy, yes, but isn't that what Super Bowl halftime shows are really about? And if my Packers make it to the Super Bowl...the cheesier the better baby!!!

[This message has been edited by atikicat (edited 12-06-2001).]

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

But you know - speaking of taking off clothing - we could all start talking more about the Interference calendar and what babes should be on it and for what month
wink.gif

Er, Interference calendar??! That could be a lot of fun!

Amybatt hit on something.

They did a re-worded version of "Beautiful Day" for some European football team or league, and this Super Bowl version may stem for that. They are also playing "Bass Trap" and "Walk To The Water."

~U2Alabama

How about the extended quodlibet on "Scarlet" and "Love is Blindness"?

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

good chance they will play something older, like Pride, New Year's Day or I Still Haven't Found...

I also think they may play What's Going On and bring someone out for a duet (just please keep to that, we dont need a choir of celebrities)

and I also think they'll play either Elevation or Beautiful Day (Walk On is less likely)

Halftime is 30 minutes, it take about 5 to set up, 5 to breakdown...Therefore, 15 minutes to perform at least two songs...maybe three. If they are the only group performing they will try to do something like 2 full song versions and maybe one medley comprised of two or three songs.

I'm guessing they will play 'Stuck in a Moment'. That's a sure thing, because I don't think they will release another single by January 30th.
The second song will probably be 'Walk On' (yawn). I've heard this song so many times it's beginning to lose its meaning. This could be the medley I was refering to earlier. 'Peace on Earth' perhaps, or maybe they'll do it with 'One' a la Irving Plaza last spring.
If they perform a third song I'm almost certain it would be 'What's Goin' On'. This would allow the producers to bring in celebrities from all across the board to join in a rousing, tearjerking finale. Can you picture this? Tom Cruise, Destiny's Child, Britney Spears, N'Suck, Julia Roberts, Robert Deniro?, Jay-Z, and Gwen Stefani, all packed onto the stage swaying to and fro, holding hands, singing their hearts out? I hope they don't, but it's closer to reality than you might think.
As for MY CHOICES: I'd love to hear 'Where the Streets Have No Name', 'Elevation', and 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses'. It ain't goin' happen, but a fella's allowed to dream, ain't he?
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally posted by amybatt:
They only have 11 minutes to play per the NFL. They've already said they're doing One and Beautiful Day. I forget which board I read this on, but it's common knowledge.

Amy

I wouldn't say that's common knowledge, else we wouldnt have threads discussing what we think U2 might play. I also have yet to read an interview stating the set list.

I sense a catfight is the emminent future. Amy and Angel? Please, spare no thoughts about ripping off each other's clothing.

Woo-Hoo

Back
Top Bottom