What do with think of REM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Phes

The Fly
REM is a band likened to U2.
I've read many times, if you're interested in U2 then we recommend you try REM too.

I don't mind em.

What's everyone else's opinion on that?

I like them and always have, but I can't understand them always being compared to U2 like they are the closest comparison in the music world. I just don't see it, they are not the same.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

I never have owned any REM CD's, but I have heard their singles on the radio and have seen those videos. I can't think of any of those songs that I don't like, however, I don't know much about the band. Overall though, I'd say they are pretty good. I would like to get some of their CD's.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

REM are one of my fave bands too im
not as keen on the new stuff as much tho
the best song they have done is
Everybody hurts it still manages to make me cry

------------------
a vampire or a victim it depends on whos around

Dont let the Bastards grind you down

Absolutely LOVE REM. U2, REM, Springsteen-the only music I've listened to for most of my life and have never gotten tired of.

And I must agree about 'Everybody Hurts'-for my own personal reasons, it holds so much meaning.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

REM is way cool. I do prefer their older stuff though. I was a big fan when I was a teen. I saw them twice in concert.. once I was in the 3rd row! It was really cool for a 15 year old. lol.

I havent really listened much to their new stuff.. just what I hear on the radio. Spose I should though. I'm too wrapped up in U2 though at the moment and feel my money should be spent on U2 stuff. Hee hee.

------------------
These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill...

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

REM was destined for greatness until the album Green. They have been mediocre to terrible since then. Every album before Green is a borderline masterpiece.

Michael Stipe just got stranger and stranger. This is just my opinion of course - but I liked REM best when I didn't understand what he was singing...sort of like the Cocteau Twins and what made them so charming...now that I do understand, I wish I didn't.

They still pull off a good song every now and then. "I've Been High" off the new album is a good song on a rather boring album.

REM draws comparision to U2 because there have always been two great bands together in the history of music:

Beatles and Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin and The Who
The Clash and Sex Pistols
Nirvana and Pearl Jam
Blur (Maybe Radiohead would be better) and Oasis

Since REM and U2 are both about the same age they get compared to one another naturally.

I was a big REM fan when I was younger. I saw them twice live. I was not impressed. Michael Stipe read the lyircs of a sheet for most of the show. Ah, i guess I haven't listened to anything they put out in the past 5 years or so I can't say how I feel about them now.

Originally posted by ocu2fan:

Since REM and U2 are both about the same age they get compared to one another naturally.

They are even more the same age as Bon Jovi and the 80's hair metal bands but they are never compared with them. Must be more the musical style though I don't see it much. The one that really bugs the shit out of me is the comparison with Depeche Mode, I really don't like DM and I don't see or hear a connection.

------------------
Pop is not a dance album- it's a dense album, but not a dance album.

I love REM but I must say that I like their Green - New Adeventures in Hi-Fi period better than their early 80's stuff. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is one of the best albums ever in my opinion. Up and Reveal are both mediocre albums by their standards. None the less REM is one of my favorite bands along with U2 (my fav), The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, and The Smiths.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

REM definitely is one of my other favorites besides my Dublin boys. I do think it kind of fell apart for awhile there in the 90's but Reveal [their latest] is great in my opinion.

U2 and REM get compared alot for several reasons-- college bands in the early 80's that broke out in the late 80's, political activists [I registered to vote at a booth at my first REM show, signed lots of Amnesty petitions at U2 shows], were MTV pioneers, about more than just marketing

I'm with R.E.M. like I was with U2 during the Zoo tour...taking a hiatus.
I like them before Bill Berry left...I don't like them much now but I'm not ready to give up on them completely...
Despite the claims that the band shares songwriting credits...its pretty well known that Berry wrote some of their better songs...like "Everybody Hurts' and "Man on the Moon' and "Perfect Circle"....they lost more than a drummer when he left...they lost a great songwriter...I just don't think they have been able to regroup very well since then..
however...I have bought their last two albums...I'm not ready to call it quits..

dream wanderer

REM with Bill Berry is very nearly as great as u2. After Berry left the band was gutted. They're so talented that if you pick and choose you can still find strong material on the last two cds but it just isn't the same.

MAP

I don't own any of their CD's, but I have loved some of the hits they have on the radio. I like their ethereal, dreamlike feel especially. Vapourous as opposed to U2's aquaeousness(I still don't know if that is a word, better find out once and for all, lol).
Are you Australian Mr.Phes? I'll always pleasantly associate REM with heading off to an Archie Roach/Ruby Hunter performance, not knowing I was about to have the most powerful musical experience of my life.......so far.
REM, Archie, U2, all good

I like REM, but I prefer their older stuff like Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant. i have all their albums, but since Green, I've bought them all used. I saw them back in 86 in a smaller place(about 700 people) and saw them again in 88 and 95. They never impressed me much live, but I imagine I'll always give them a listen.

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
REM was destined for greatness until the album Green. They have been mediocre to terrible since then. Every album before Green is a borderline masterpiece.

Michael Stipe just got stranger and stranger. This is just my opinion of course - but I liked REM best when I didn't understand what he was singing...sort of like the Cocteau Twins and what made them so charming...now that I do understand, I wish I didn't.

They still pull off a good song every now and then. "I've Been High" off the new album is a good song on a rather boring album.

Monster, Out of Time, and the New Adventures of Hi-Fi suck and aren't masterpieces!!!???

surely you must be joking... I hope. 3 of the best albums of the 90s right there

R.E.M. did one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and one that I think U2 should cover (since R.E.M. covered "One," and it's quite beautiful): "Nightswimming," from Automatic for the People. If you are familiar with the song, couldn't you just hear Bono singing it?

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Good band, overrated band.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Sorry Apple - I disagree, I thought those albums were shite. In a decade that generally sucked as far as good music - claiming to be one of the best albums of the 90's is not saying too much.

The Smiths broke up in 87, the Stone Roses turned into Dave Mathews (or worse), the Cure wussed out...really - if it were not for Achtung Baby and two great Oasis albums, there wasn't much I liked. All of this changed my opinion of rock music. I went from a great college radio fan into a sports talk show listener...REM let me down...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom