What do people think is the most "interesting" guitar track on the HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Bono's comment on HTDAAB lacking sonic sophistication got me to wondering/ thinking.

What would be considered the song on HTDAAB that is sonically the most interesting/ or maybe innovative/ or creative? Personally, I'd have to say COBL/ City of Blinding Lights hands down.

I know the Edge isn't known for complex play but he gets props for cleverness and good taste a lot of times. I'd give a reason why I chose COBL but I'd like to hear other people's opinions. COBL isn't my favorite song from the album and to be honest I think maybe Vertigo and Crumbs COULD fit the bill but they have some glaring "weaknesses" for the category. So what song from HTDAAB is sonically the most interesting or maybe most creative coming from the Edge. Thoughts?

Love And Peace Or Else... I guess. at least for that final rising crescendo guitar part and the drums explosion.

But nothing off of HTDAAB or ATYCLB sounds that innovative, interesting or creative... compared to their past highs!

Original Of The Species.

He's got a George Harrison thing going on in that song.

He's never played like that before.

There's also some wacky stuff going on in A Man And A Woman.

No, not the acoustic.

Listen to the chorus, then the bridge.

Last edited:
the 2nd acoustic gutiar on AMaaW is pretty cool.

Crumbs is just :drool:

i love the slide part in SYCMioYO

my FAVOURITE though is the intro riff for CoBL. . . :drool: :drool: right after the huge, intense buildup of a chorus, the simplicity of the bass, drums, and that amazing slide part is fucking spectacular

I'd say LAPOE

maybe cause it's my favorite from the record.

But mostly for the same reasons Zootymagooty already listed.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE...because it is their best song since 1997. its the monolith on the bomb. and its great to hear the tumbling guitar solo at the end. bravo! :rockon:

MrBrau1 said:
Original Of The Species.

No, not the acoustic.

damn, ive never paid attention to that before, that guitar is crazy. its almost like it starts to surround you at some parts.

Most interesting - probably Love and peace. It's not sounding like anything in his past IMO.

MrBrau1 said:
Original Of The Species.

No, not the acoustic.

:up:

I have thought for a while that the guitar parts of Bomb were a little repetative when it came to the solo parts.

However I love Crumbs it has a fantastic intro that repeats during the chorus.
I also love the solo part on Miracle drug which I think is Edge's finest moment on the album as it is followed by his verse.

The most innovative and different part of the album has to go to love and peace. To find out this song was played on an accoustic was very surprising. Edge has got sounds going on there that you wouldn't think were possible to dreate with an accoustic.

On the subject of ABOY. I think the album version is dull but the single version is excellent, Strange what a remix can do to a song.

definitly Love and Peace......for the last couple of minutes, just great.

Also, beginning and back electric track to ABOY.......the acoustic doesnt do much for me tho.

For texture? ...One Step Closer.....:drool: but they've done that kinda thing before....

U2girl said:
Most interesting - probably Love and peace. It's not sounding like anything in his past IMO.

That and it Freakin' EXPLODES out of your stereo :D

I have to go with Love And Peace....The ending is simply amazing live and I don't find the song sounds much like any of their other songs.

I still think the Edge should do a funk song on the next album. Chili Peppers style

While the guitar work on Bomb isn't revolutionary, there's some very good stuff there.

I love the beginning of Vertigo, when the scratchy sound breaks into the main riff, and then at the end, where there's a kind of acidy-sounding overlap, if you listen carefully. Love and Peace is a great one...Miracle Drug and Crumbs are my other favourites. There's also a pretty impressive hook on STYCMIOYO.

It's hard not to sound like you are saying the playing is regressive or redundant when you say there isn't that much "interesting" going on. But some of it is certainly high quality, and I don't think the aim was ever to have Edge blow people away with his parts but to just compliment the greater sound of the song with what he knew how to do best.

The obvious pick for some of us is probably AMAAW, which is some unique playing and sounds that Edge and U2 had not done before. The COBL chorus guitar is MONEY, but it's reminiscent of I Will Follow and probably 5 or more other songs. So while I could call it "interesting" because it sounds cool, it's hardly anything so interesting it warrants special attention. It really just compliments yet another song on a songs album.

MrBrau1 said:
Original Of The Species.

No, not the acoustic.

:yes: I second both of those.

Original wins for me, LAPOE second. Also Miracle Drug has some great stuff going on though it's not paticularly revolutionary U2-wise, but that bridge (with the slide-guitar) and then the exploding solo is :drool: and Vertigo is criminally underrated on these boards. U2 doesn't do riff-rockers like that, really. Yeah they have Hold Me Thrill Me, The Fly, Disco, ect., but there's something so straightforward and aggressive and simple about Vertigo that makes it awesome.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fast Cars yet, though I guess it wasn't technically on the album. But that Spanish/Mideast vibe (I can't decide which one prevails!) isn't really like anything U2's ever done and it's really Edge's guitar that gives the song that feel (along with Bono's almost rap vocals).

I hear the stuff in A Man and A Woman as well as Original but Edge has done some of that stuff before (for AMAW) in the War album. The main riff for Original is great but very U2-esque and the guitar play before it is definitely very Beatleseque which is good in its own right but unfortunately I would say "derivative." I feel the same with LAPOE in terms of how I feel about Vertigo except I dislike the solo. Didn't Edge use play through an accoustic guitar for Discotheque?

I thought the way Edge played slide for COBL was pretty clever as well as the sounds he was getting. Maybe there is an I Will Follow-esque riff but its not THE riff that defines the song b/c there are so many things going on in the song with the slides and the little bits he plays in between.

COBL is the BEST guitar TRACK! Best song? Arguable!

For me, it's Love And Peace Or Else by a landslide! I love the guitar in that song...particularly the exploding solo in the outro.

Back
Top Bottom