What did you think when you first heard... Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chintito

The Fly
i thought it was a kinda lame. a cleaned up version of elevation with a lazy use of trend following guitars.

i laughed at a review that said it was the strongest U2 single since WOWY.

How wrong i was.

just like the rest of the tracks on the album this song has got legs that convert the air it breaths on to steroids.

never did think U2 coulda bettered beautiful day but this song makes BD sound like a baby sucking a pink dummy with flowery dots on it.

what were others reactions on first listen?

I was surprised (blown away) by the riff, but somewhere before the end, I saw the direction they went on the album. Repeating themselves, a little commercial, too. I thought about Metallica. :ohmy:
I haven't changed my mind since then.
Amd BD is so much better words cannot describe.

I really disliked it. I cringed at the spanish countdown and the whole 'Hello, Hello' notion.

Nevertheless, it grew on me very quickly, much like everything U2 does.

i thought it was great! loved the riff especially (i like it when U2 "rock out", so to speak).

suffered a bit from overplaying on the radio and Tv but still a good song.

I laughed in a good way the whole time.
Sounded like U2 are fuckin' around for 3 minutes.

When I first heard it I felt that Vertigo is a great song and it will be a very successful single. I was listening to it all over again, but I had feeling that it is too catchy and I will be bored after several listens. I was so wrong ;) I'm still listening to it and it's one of my favourites on the new album.

i thought that maybe it was toooo catchy and that id get sick of it after a while

but, i still like it

when it got its premiere playing in the UK the radio station i was listening to played the first 10 seconds as a 'taster' before cutting to adverts and i thought "oh my god...what is this...??" the whole spanish thing really didnt work for me. However after the break the radio show played the whole song all in one and i absolutely loved it!

I really don't see what's wrong with that Spanish!? :eyebrow:
I'm not even sure If I got it from the first time, but it sure didn't bother me when I did. It's ok. Maybe even good. :wink:
I guess it's a non-english word... :huh:

the only thing wrong with the spanish countdown is the insistance of everyone and their uncle to try and come up with a hidden meaning for it...

as for vertigo it's self... i must have listened to it about a million times when it first came out. i thought it made every song on all that you can't leave behind sound lame... and i really like that album.

then as the other stuff came out i grew tired of vertigo... only playing it now and again... until, that is, i got to hear it live and in person @ the Brooklyn Bridge show... where i fell in love with it again. pure energy.

you always have to brag about that brooklyn show dont you?

jackass

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
I really don't see what's wrong with that Spanish!? :eyebrow:

for me the spanish intro is just another thing i have to defend U2 for when my friends start questioning why i like them so much!! :mad:

I was in my car driving home from work - I put it on real loud and it blew my mind. I thought "U2 is rocking again":rockon: I thought it was completely different than anything they've done before. And finally, I thought that the song was real short. Vertigo goes by sooo quickly.

PS - the song is still great.

Vertigo is 3:13 secs. It really is "short". I feel that way everytime i listen to it. But listen this: Immigrant Song is ~2:25, and I don't get that feeling of shortness...:ohmy:
(and there's more examples....)
I guess it's the song-structure "problem".

yeah, for whatever reason, Vertigo seems to be over and i get so into the song that i never expected it to end....

Very catchy.
Beautiful day had me at "the heart is a bloom" while Vertigo had me at the count-in.
(though now I have mixed feelings about the "hola" and "donde esta?" parts)

Also: wow, I guess Edge is back. And they picked up the pace.

Last edited:
I played it on repeat for nine hours ... wait, might have been twelve. Yeah, I think it was twelve.

I guess that says it all.

I was like FOR FUCK SAKE, FINALLY SOME NEW MUSIC FROM MY FAVORITE BEND!:D

And had it on repeat for 2 whole days, until I eventually got sick of it, but now I've grown to love it again. :wink:

my initial thought on the first listen was whoa, that verse moved fast, i dont know if i liked it but i love my chorus

from then on out, and however many times ive listened to it since, its become one of my favroite songs by u2.

I thought it was interesting, but I liked it-good, rocking song. It sounded to me like a combination of some other U2 songs, and had a bit of a 60s feel at one point. I remember I immediately loved the part with "I can't stand the beats..." on out...I just loved the way that part was sung.

My dad downloaded the song at work and put it on a CD for me to listen to whenever I wanted, and so the more I heard it, the more I liked it.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom