What did you think when they first came out with "The Sweetest Thing"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTB

Acrobat
To be perfectly honest, when I first heard it, I thought "My God, my favorite band has gone soft on me." and "What the Fuck is happening to them?" After all they've done with the tough beat in their songs, it just didn't sound like anything they would ever do. It sounded too ordinary. Like something you would hear any other band do on the radio. Not U2. I actually almost lost hope in them after that song. But I kept my faith and still love them as much as ever. I since know what the song is all about and what it means (Ali) and have actually grown fond of it over the years (not that fond tho). Still, this song will always remind me of when I thought i'd lost U2. Odd, but that's the way I felt at the time..

I'm sorry ZOOTB at what I'm about to say that may offend you, but it is not my intention. I just have a problem with fans who say they want to give up on a band, because of one song that is not to their liking. If I look at U2's back catalogue up to the making of 'The Sweetest Thing', we are talking about a pretty impressive listing of songs, and even if U2 had never released anything else again, we would be talking about a pretty impressive career.

I, for one, loved 'The Sweetest Thing' when it first came out, and still love the original version even today. I was thrilled when they played it on the Elevation Tour, and I don't think that too many bands could write a song like 'The Sweetest Thing', with it's tongue in cheek, heavy lyrical interpretation that Bono gives the song of himself in the wrong, but trying to throw blame out of embarrassment to his lover. So, great song, and I'm not one of bit embarrassed to see 'The Sweetest Thing' in U2's awesome collection of songs.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 04-23-2002).]

I loved the song - but I thought his vocal delivery was off in some parts.

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
I'm sorry ZOOTB at what I'm about to say that may offend you, but it is not my intention. I just have a problem with fans who say they want to give up on a band, because of one song that is not to their liking.
No problem. No offense taken. I'm all for opinions. And I'm sorry, but as big a U2 fan as I am, I probably would have given up on them if all they continued to play after "The Sweetest Thing" was "Easy Listening" songs, which was what I feared at that time. That's not why I fell in love with them. I fell in love with them during the "Rattle and Hum" era with the tough sounding Bullet, Silver and Gold, Desire, Etc; I can handle slow songs from U2 as well. I love "So Cruel", "Love is Blindness" and many more. But they still sound like U2. For some reason, to me, "The Sweetest Thing" just didn't sound like them. I went to the ZooTv tour, Pop tour, and 4 Elevations and I'm very glad that I didn't give up on them.

I never liked the song. When it first came out, I wasn't a major U2 fan yet. I just had Joshua Tree and I got the Best of 1980-1990 album. I remember being confused enough when Discotheque and its video came out, and then when Sweetest Thing was released to radio I thought "What the hell has happened to these guys?". I since have bought Pop and I like most of the album, including Discotheque, but I still can't listen to Sweetest Thing. I was glad that it wasn't played at the 2 shows I saw on the Elevation tour.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 04-23-2002).]

When I first heard the song I didn't even know it was U2! You should have seen the look on my face when I saw the video!! It's a good song, but yeah it kind of got me from left field. Is it my favorite song?? No, but it is a good "love" song! Besides it was for Bono's wife, so that is sweet enough!!

I first heard the song in about 1994, KROQ used to play it once in a while, and they used to also play Spanish Eyes, Everlasting Love, and Unchained Melody a lot around that time. I was like "WHAAAA" I never heard these U2 songs before and I didn't realize they were b-sides. I didn't care much for Sweetest Thing, it didn't seem like anything special, I think Spanish Eyes was the one I liked more because it was structured like a good U2 rock song.

I was suprised that the song was reprised in 98, and I actually like the 98 version better than the original. The light heartedness of the song didn't shock me at all, by that time I was used to the fact that U2 were a diverse musical act and are capable of putting out anything.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by The Arms of America:

I agree with words like rubber ball, and blue sky. And don't forget love. Very deep not like a "pop" song.

"Baby's got blue skies up ahead
But in this I'm a raincloud
You know she wants a dry kind of love"

well if you think about it, he's talking about her "sailing" through life with no problems, but he's a raincloud in her way. Whats more is, she knows and "you" know she wants a DRY "kind of love" which would lead you to think her furture does not involve him. Not exactly a sweet loveydovey song. I mean, you can sew it up, but you still see the tear.
wink.gif

------------------
"In my heart I'm not wearing any sunglasses baby"
Bono, to Larry, in response of being nervous on stage, 2000

*U2TakeMeHigher*

I loved it as a B-side but they played with it to release it as a single and I like the B-side version better.

I really liked those vinyl singles with the individual boys. Sigh - now I miss vinyl. Dang - as cool it is to have enhanced CD's - I really liked albums. It was mch easier to see the album artwork (a lost tradition).

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section to back you up.

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Originally posted by david:
I first heard the song in about 1994, KROQ used to play it once in a while, and they used to also play Spanish Eyes, Everlasting Love, and Unchained Melody a lot around that time. I was like "WHAAAA" I never heard these U2 songs before and I didn't realize they were b-sides. I didn't care much for Sweetest Thing, it didn't seem like anything special, I think Spanish Eyes was the one I liked more because it was structured like a good U2 rock song.

I was suprised that the song was reprised in 98, and I actually like the 98 version better than the original. The light heartedness of the song didn't shock me at all, by that time I was used to the fact that U2 were a diverse musical act and are capable of putting out anything.

Same here! Believe it or not, a Green Bay station played this song a couple of times in 1995 when they had an "Alterative Hour" on Sunday nights. This was before I collected B-sides, so I thought this was a new single.

the original version is so much better than the "Best of.." version. I was really surprised they changed it.

They did, however, do a great version of it on the Elevation tour.

I became a U2 fan in 98, and I never heard this song on the radio until earlier this week! (And I was so excited to hear it!) I personally like the Best Of version much better than the B-side version...its more polished, finished.
I'd read somewhere (the Into the Heart lyric book?) that it was considered one of their best songs. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do like it...its cute.

Does anyone know if this song is on the soundtrack to the new Cameron Diaz movie by the same name?

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I had similar reaction when I first heard it. But I loved it! I couldn't believe they really released a song that sounded like that after being immersed in the Joshua Tree at the time. Sweetest Thing was really different from anything I had heard from them before. Then I heard God Part II and realized they were on their way to something different. Then the Hollywood remix of Desire which I thought they couldn't have possibly be involved in. I heard that on my college radio station first thinking it was someone's personal remix. Then I realized that it was an actual U2 release and thought they were definitely not the same band anymore. Then I realized that's why I love U2 so much is because of the constant re-invention of the band but the same integrity. So, yes I had the same disbelief when I first heard Sweetest Thing but it was a good disbelief. (For the record, I don't really like the new remix of Sweetest Thing).

Originally posted by bearded morrison:
Sweetest Thing was really different from anything I had heard from them before. Then I heard God Part II and realized they were on their way to something different.

I love their diversity.

Well said Chris - as usual I completely agree with you.
smile.gif

BTW, Sweetest Thing may *sound* Pop, but "Pop" songs don't have those type of lyrics.

------------------
"In my heart I'm not wearing any sunglasses baby"
Bono, to Larry, in response of being nervous on stage, 2000

*U2TakeMeHigher*

I wasn't a big U2 fan at the time, but I liked it. It's bittersweet yet innocent, and I much prefer the Best Of version to the original.

Also, after listening to Bono's duet with Andrea Corr on "Summer Wine" I wish they re-recorded "Spanish Eyes", too. It's a lovely shimmering song but I find Bono's vocals incredibly dodgy and annoying.

well now I dunno if ya mean the original version on the Best Of, if so, I prefer the newer version and all in all when I first heard it I first saw the video as well, and just.....adored it!!!!!!!!

I found both song and vid cute..............
smile.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Mainstream but deeper. A love song with a hard edge.

No flame intended, but if Sweetest Thing has a hard edge, then PJ Harvey is really Celine Dion.

I did not like this song, still do not like this song, but I forgive the guys for letting it see the light of day. The video is enjoyable. Purely my opinion; crucify me, folks.

I thought "eh? this is....different..." when I first heard it, but it didn't take long for me to like it.

And I thought it was really good live. Very lighthearted and playful, and a great audience participation song. Plus, how often do you get to see Bono at the piano?
biggrin.gif
Too bad it dropped off the setlist pretty quickly.

This song actually brings back nice memories for moi. Not love-related
biggrin.gif
, but it reminds me of my first time in Europe...ah, Paris. A friend of mine kept singing it at the plane (haha, it wasn't even U2 singing), that it stuck in my head during the whole trip.
wink.gif

Anyway, The Sweetest Thing is poppy, but in the usual tradition of Bono not being direct in his lyrics. I do like the original version a lot better than the single mix though.

Back
Top Bottom