What did you listen to after 11/9/2001?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What song did you listen to after 9/11/2001?

• Sunday Blooday Sunday

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Like A Song

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rejoice

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Wake Up Dead Man

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Walk On

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Others (including songs by U2 or other artists)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Nothing at all

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Don't know if this had been asked before or if this is even too personal.......
However: What song did you listen to at the first days after the incident of the 11th of September last year?

I was abroad at the time.

I think Peace On Earth was the first thing I sat down and listened to.

I was on my honey moon in Florida. I didn't listen to a lot until I got back home but I would say Walk On was my most listened to song after that.

A month Later I went to Boot Camp and I didn't listen to anything for about 10 weeks. that sucked ass.

"One"..surprised that wasn't a choice.

acoustic "stuck" came on the radio and I cried like a moron

I don't think I listened to anything at all for a few days. I couldn't, for some reason. I really can't remember what the first thing I listened to was, but I know I started listening again to Neil Finn's new album, One Nil, which I had bought not long before--I'd been listening to it a lot in the previous two weeks or so. It felt weird, though. It felt sad because I had already started to associate that album--which I loved and love--with a normal, beautiful early autumn.

Ooops, I thought the whole previous night about what songs could be taken for the poll.......apologizes for missing One, Peace On Earth and all the other songs that I obvously didn't thought of....
I listened to SBS in the night of the 11/9 until I fell asleep at about 2 in the morning, I guess....that's why I also thought about Like A Song......

On the night of 9/11, the only thing I heard, after watching CNN all day, was the sound of commercial aircraft and helicopters circling the city I live in - after an air travel ban had been placed.

I got so terrified I stayed up all night praying and crying. And then watched CNN straight for the rest of the week.

CNN is great for fostering a state of terror. I'm a Canadian but I look at their website often because it's very up to date. But if I read it too much I get paranoid. I think that's their intention.

scatteroflight said:
CNN is great for fostering a state of terror. I'm a Canadian but I look at their website often because it's very up to date. But if I read it too much I get paranoid. I think that's their intention.

I would highly doubt that it's their "intention" so much as it is a pretty natural thing for an all-hours news source to try to keep coming up with fresh stories. Unfortunately, that usually amounts to hashing and rehashing the same thing over and over. :|

Peace on Earth, once I could handle it or when I needed to cry again. SBS or BinBS when I wanted to blast some sonic rage. American Skin and Land of Hope and Dreams by Rev. Springsteen. :) The line that kept going thru my head first and most was the beginning of SBS (I can't believe the news today) and Lennon's line "I heard the news today, oh boy."

A few other lines that got me through it (as if I lost anyone or anything...LOL...I had it easy!)

You know they're out there, the lunatic fringe

Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all! United we stand! Divided we fall!

I promised myself it would change me permanantly. :sad:

I don't think I even listened to anything until the concert on tv on that friday;
"peace on earth/walk on" u2
"long road" eddie vedder
"fragile" sting
I think that was one of the most emotional moments in recent memory for me.

I think after the shock of it all I retreated to music, especially U2, to kind of get a grasp on this new reality that we were all living! I say a lot of the early stuff from U2 plus the last album help calm me down and just cope with all of it!! That's when I really realized how much music really means.

I got very VERY into ATYCLB, which I had rather recently purchased...then it's all I could even listen to for weeks. The last 4 songs on the CD (PoE/WILATW/NY/Grace) made me cry, soothed me, and spoke for me.... I felt like they were put together on the album the way they were for a reason, especially after what happened on 9-11. To this day I still feel there was some Divine hand in it, and I will probably never be able to listen to that album without thinking about 9-11 and what I was going through, and thinking about, at that time.

I remember -

Bob Dylan's new album came out that day and "high water" seemed to strike a major chord with me. It conjured up images of people and places falling apart and ideas crumbling like a little row boat trapped in some tempest. There was also a big rush for gasoline and I had the song blaring while I waited in line to fill up my tank. The more I listened to it I figured out that it was mostly about the indignity and insanity of Man. It also created an idea for a short story I wrote in creative writing. I'd like to attach it here for the first time. May not be the place for it. But I don't really think it matters.

Our teacher asked us to write about our point of view either in a story, an essay, or some sort of art. I decided to write a story. You will notice hints of the song "New York" by U2 in it among other things. Please enjoy. Any feedback is lovely. Remember, I wrote this about a week after the tragedy.

===================
Alpha Ville Under Water
by: Brett A. Evans

I?m a storyteller. For years now I?ve been sharing tales of destruction, rebellion, and evolution. I try to stick with the facts, but truth can be lost in the cross-talk at times. I see things differently. I hear different voices. Different songs. But today, I saw images that will always be burned into my memory. Things that make me want to stay awake, for the nightmares are too much. Today, I saw it coming, I saw it going, and I heard a song that will forever scream in my ears.

It?s a kind of town where you can?t sit still. The mornings come too soon and the nights never end. To coin a phrase: It?s not a city; it?s a state of mind. Freedom, you want it ? you got it. Choices? Hallelujah, you?ve come to the right place. It?s a kind of town where the style changes as fast as the minutes go by. Yeah, but don?t get me wrong. It?s got its problems. Downtown traffic ? gimme some air driver, gimme some air. Late night walks in the park? I think not. Unless you?d like to end up with less than you?d already lost. But there?s one thing that has never been a threat. Water. Sure, it gets rain, but no floods, no high water, nobody floating by on top of their car. Today, that all changes.
Early frosty morning. Air crisp with the buzzes and scuffles of traffic. People (ants) walking down below the line of view of the two largest buildings ever built in man?s creation. World Trade buildings. Finance not flowers. People work in there, bud, no one really knows exactly what goes on ? but it sure is high up there. Today, that all changed.

Air planes. Tools of travel. Necessities of business and vacation. Millions of people use them every day. So why ? why does this day have to be any different. No reasons are given at this time, but the day is different. These planes are different. Low flying air planes. No one in his or her right mind could predict this future. Not the ones with crystal balls or playing cards. No one. These planes, split the sky, tear through the clouds and into our buildings. Finance not flowers kid. These planes tear through the buildings and leave wounds of smoke, glass, and steel. Tomorrow will never be the same.

Yeah, I know that there was more than one place that was struck by maniacs in these hi-jacked air planes ? but with total respect, I was not there, and those are not my stories to tell ...
In a New York Minute there are cameras, telescopic lenses, journalists, press, government officials, screams, rants, raves, running, and a flood. A flood that washes away our feeling of security, our hope, our faith, our calm way of handling problems. High water way above our heads now. People drowning in a flood of their own livelihood, their own blood, their own town. King Kong never did the damage that these onslaught of planes caused.

Hours (more like centuries) go by, and the water keeps rising. Those wounds split open every vein of the building with fire and brimstone. We?re talking unholy stuff, bud. You sit there watching the TV thinking of how it feels. I felt the heat, the dust, and the smoke. I heard the song. Remember? That devil tune that will forever be ringing in my ears. The song of a thousand unheard cries. Under that rubble, confusion, and pieces of broken spirits ? there were voices. Calling out, singing for freedom.

What next? Wait for the flood to pass. Flowers on the side of the road, now remember the Towers of finance. Candles for each person lost. Hell, I thought the city was going to burn down from all of them. Flags with stars and stripes drape over rescue workers. All in the name of Love.

Now, we have to rebuild. We can?t let our town go on hold forever. Revenge? Maybe, who knows? War? We don?t need it. What is it good for? Don?t take my word for it though, mister - I?m just a storyteller.
===================

Thank you,
- The Zoocifer -

I couldn't listen to any music that week. I live in NY and was in a state of shock and disbelief. I couldn't sleep for the next few days because at night I thought I heard an airplane flying overhead when in reality I was just hearing things or sometimes it would be a military aircraft protecting NYC.
When I did listen to music it was U2 and mostly the album ATYCLB.

At first U2002revolution!:
I thought I'd better write that date, because Eurpeans might be strange in writing their dates, but I learnt in school that some Americans use that way of expressing dates as well and with this I didn't wanted to confuse Europeans AND Americans.......But even in New York City there was this way written on cars full of dust of the WTC....... :( However, tell me what's the official American way and I will think on it. 9/11/ or what?

And now to Zoocifer's story:
The whole story is great and I enjoyed it - I know that the topic isn't that good, but the way it is written is so cool.

Posted by Zoocifer:
Flowers on the side of the road, now remember the Towers of finance.

I love that comparisson.....

I wrote a poem of that incident right in the night after seeing this all in TV, but it sounds a bit like SBS and I don't want you to crack up of laughing. :)

Thank you all for responding! :yes:

Please became really meaningful for me in the months after 9/11...I was listening to it in the car one day and the end of the song hit me like a ton of bricks...

September
Streets capsizing
Spilling over
Down the drain
Shards of glass
Splinters like rain
But you could only feel
Your own pain

October
Talk getting nowhere
November
December
Remember
Are we just starting again

Please...please...please...
Get up off your knees, yeah
Please...please...please...
Please...

I listened to ATYCLB a lot, but mostly I wanted something quiet and soothing ... I listened to some Craig Armstrong, Rachminanoff's Piano Concerto #2, among others.

It took me about a week before I could listent to ne form of music. I think that once I started to listen to music again I listen to SBS, Bad, One and Walkon a lot!

On the way down to a makeshift office in Jersey from NYC on 9-11, my friends and I stopped by a Target to buy some clothes for the next few days and I immediately went to the CD rack in search of a new copy of ATYCLB. of course, it was sold out.

So when I finally got back, Walk On. Hearing it on the CD was so comforting. Seeing it performed six weeks later in Madison Square was uplifting. It has become my new all-time fave U2 song for so many reasons.

Tech said:
I think after the shock of it all I retreated to music, especially U2, to kind of get a grasp on this new reality that we were all living! I say a lot of the early stuff from U2 plus the last album help calm me down and just cope with all of it!! That's when I really realized how much music really means.

Amen.

I don't recall listening to music that exact day.

I do remember waking up for work 2 days later to my alarm clock radio playing Beethoven's sombre "Moonlight Sonata", and it really set the mood.

For that entire week, local radio stations and Much Music were playing somber songs. I even remember watching the VJ's crying on air... it was incredibly surreal... and sad.

The following day I was at work, and the radio station we listened to was announcing "the new U2 song", but all they were playing was U2's "Peace on Earth" with the recorded voices of New York citizens, George Bush and other "Oh My God! The buildings just collapsed" soundfiles.

I thought it was very tacky too add those voices, but the song by itself really hit home. The lyrics were almost too perfect...

Heaven on Earth
We need it now
I'm sick of all of this
Hanging around

Sick of sorrow
I'm sick of the pain
I'm sick of hearing
Again and again
That there's gonna be
Peace on Earth

Where I grew up
There weren't many trees
Where there was we'd tear them down
And use them on our enemies

They say that what you mock
Will surely overtake you
And you become a monster
So the monster will not break you

And it's already gone too far
Who said that if you go in hard
You won't get hurt

Jesus can you take the time
To throw a drowning man a line
Peace on Earth

Tell the ones who hear no sound
Whose sons are living in the ground
Peace on Earth

No whos or whys
No one cries like a mother cries
For peace on Earth

She never got to say goodbye
To see the color in his eyes
Now he's in the dirt
Peace on Earth

They're reading names out
Over the radio
All the folks the rest of us
Won't get to know

Sean and Julia
Gareth, Ann, and Breda
Their lives are bigger than
Any big idea

Jesus can you take the time
To throw a drowning man a line
Peace on Earth

To tell the ones who hear no sound
Whose sons are living in the ground
Peace on Earth

Jesus in this song you wrote
The words are sticking in my throat
Peace on Earth

Hear it every Christmas time
But hope and history won't rhyme
So what's it worth

This peace on Earth
Peace on Earth
Peace on Earth
Peace on Earth

I refuse to answer the poll as all I listened to were:

-police and fire trucks outside my apartment racing to the site
-EMS workers and ambulances taking bodies to the nearby hospital
-army loudspeakers telling me to evacuate my neighborhood
-people screaming

I was in school, and the majority of students went home early. I went right into my room, put Sunday Bloody Sunday on repeat, and watched the news. ...But after both buildings collapsed, I couldn't take it anymore. I don't remember listening to any more music from U2 after I turned off my stereo.

This thread just reminded me of so many memories on that day and that week. Everything is so vivid again...

Back
Top Bottom