What did you listen to after 11/9/2001? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What song did you listen to after 9/11/2001?
Sunday Blooday Sunday 10 17.24%
Like A Song 0 0%
Rejoice 1 1.72%
Wake Up Dead Man 1 1.72%
Walk On 16 27.59%
Others (including songs by U2 or other artists) 19 32.76%
Nothing at all 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Normal What did you listen to after 11/9/2001?

Don't know if this had been asked before or if this is even too personal.......
However: What song did you listen to at the first days after the incident of the 11th of September last year?

Old 06-24-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Normal

I was abroad at the time.

I think Peace On Earth was the first thing I sat down and listened to.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 12:52 AM
I was on my honey moon in Florida. I didn't listen to a lot until I got back home but I would say Walk On was my most listened to song after that.

A month Later I went to Boot Camp and I didn't listen to anything for about 10 weeks. that sucked ass.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"One"..surprised that wasn't a choice.

acoustic "stuck" came on the radio and I cried like a moron
Old 06-24-2002, 11:47 AM   #5
Refugee

Normal

I don't think I listened to anything at all for a few days. I couldn't, for some reason. I really can't remember what the first thing I listened to was, but I know I started listening again to Neil Finn's new album, One Nil, which I had bought not long before--I'd been listening to it a lot in the previous two weeks or so. It felt weird, though. It felt sad because I had already started to associate that album--which I loved and love--with a normal, beautiful early autumn.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:55 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ooops, I thought the whole previous night about what songs could be taken for the poll.......apologizes for missing One, Peace On Earth and all the other songs that I obvously didn't thought of....
I listened to SBS in the night of the 11/9 until I fell asleep at about 2 in the morning, I guess....that's why I also thought about Like A Song......
Old 06-24-2002, 12:01 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
On the night of 9/11, the only thing I heard, after watching CNN all day, was the sound of commercial aircraft and helicopters circling the city I live in - after an air travel ban had been placed.

I got so terrified I stayed up all night praying and crying. And then watched CNN straight for the rest of the week.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #8
Refugee

CNN is great for fostering a state of terror. I'm a Canadian but I look at their website often because it's very up to date. But if I read it too much I get paranoid. I think that's their intention.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight
CNN is great for fostering a state of terror. I'm a Canadian but I look at their website often because it's very up to date. But if I read it too much I get paranoid. I think that's their intention.
I would highly doubt that it's their "intention" so much as it is a pretty natural thing for an all-hours news source to try to keep coming up with fresh stories. Unfortunately, that usually amounts to hashing and rehashing the same thing over and over.

Old 06-24-2002, 12:38 PM   #10
you are what you is

I don't know anymore
probably a lot of Miles Davis
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
11/9/2001
grrrr! i hate how Euro(?) ppl do there dates, i always get confused. when i 1st looked @ this thread i thought to myself "what happend on 11/9" .lol.
anyway, i voted SBS. as well as other stuff!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:31 PM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Peace on Earth, once I could handle it or when I needed to cry again. SBS or BinBS when I wanted to blast some sonic rage. American Skin and Land of Hope and Dreams by Rev. Springsteen. The line that kept going thru my head first and most was the beginning of SBS (I can't believe the news today) and Lennon's line "I heard the news today, oh boy."

A few other lines that got me through it (as if I lost anyone or anything...LOL...I had it easy!)

You know they're out there, the lunatic fringe

Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all! United we stand! Divided we fall!

I promised myself it would change me permanantly.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think I even listened to anything until the concert on tv on that friday;
"peace on earth/walk on" u2
"long road" eddie vedder
"fragile" sting
I think that was one of the most emotional moments in recent memory for me.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:32 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Lots of October and ATYCLB!
Old 06-24-2002, 07:21 PM   #15
War Child

I think after the shock of it all I retreated to music, especially U2, to kind of get a grasp on this new reality that we were all living! I say a lot of the early stuff from U2 plus the last album help calm me down and just cope with all of it!! That's when I really realized how much music really means.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:17 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I got very VERY into ATYCLB, which I had rather recently purchased...then it's all I could even listen to for weeks. The last 4 songs on the CD (PoE/WILATW/NY/Grace) made me cry, soothed me, and spoke for me.... I felt like they were put together on the album the way they were for a reason, especially after what happened on 9-11. To this day I still feel there was some Divine hand in it, and I will probably never be able to listen to that album without thinking about 9-11 and what I was going through, and thinking about, at that time.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Normal

ATYCLB and Best Of, and War -- just for "40".
Old 06-24-2002, 10:43 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:52 PM
I remember -

Bob Dylan's new album came out that day and "high water" seemed to strike a major chord with me. It conjured up images of people and places falling apart and ideas crumbling like a little row boat trapped in some tempest. There was also a big rush for gasoline and I had the song blaring while I waited in line to fill up my tank. The more I listened to it I figured out that it was mostly about the indignity and insanity of Man. It also created an idea for a short story I wrote in creative writing. I'd like to attach it here for the first time. May not be the place for it. But I don't really think it matters.

Our teacher asked us to write about our point of view either in a story, an essay, or some sort of art. I decided to write a story. You will notice hints of the song "New York" by U2 in it among other things. Please enjoy. Any feedback is lovely. Remember, I wrote this about a week after the tragedy.

===================
Alpha Ville Under Water
by: Brett A. Evans

Im a storyteller. For years now Ive been sharing tales of destruction, rebellion, and evolution. I try to stick with the facts, but truth can be lost in the cross-talk at times. I see things differently. I hear different voices. Different songs. But today, I saw images that will always be burned into my memory. Things that make me want to stay awake, for the nightmares are too much. Today, I saw it coming, I saw it going, and I heard a song that will forever scream in my ears.

Its a kind of town where you cant sit still. The mornings come too soon and the nights never end. To coin a phrase: Its not a city; its a state of mind. Freedom, you want it you got it. Choices? Hallelujah, youve come to the right place. Its a kind of town where the style changes as fast as the minutes go by. Yeah, but dont get me wrong. Its got its problems. Downtown traffic gimme some air driver, gimme some air. Late night walks in the park? I think not. Unless youd like to end up with less than youd already lost. But theres one thing that has never been a threat. Water. Sure, it gets rain, but no floods, no high water, nobody floating by on top of their car. Today, that all changes.
Early frosty morning. Air crisp with the buzzes and scuffles of traffic. People (ants) walking down below the line of view of the two largest buildings ever built in mans creation. World Trade buildings. Finance not flowers. People work in there, bud, no one really knows exactly what goes on but it sure is high up there. Today, that all changed.

Air planes. Tools of travel. Necessities of business and vacation. Millions of people use them every day. So why why does this day have to be any different. No reasons are given at this time, but the day is different. These planes are different. Low flying air planes. No one in his or her right mind could predict this future. Not the ones with crystal balls or playing cards. No one. These planes, split the sky, tear through the clouds and into our buildings. Finance not flowers kid. These planes tear through the buildings and leave wounds of smoke, glass, and steel. Tomorrow will never be the same.

Yeah, I know that there was more than one place that was struck by maniacs in these hi-jacked air planes but with total respect, I was not there, and those are not my stories to tell ...
In a New York Minute there are cameras, telescopic lenses, journalists, press, government officials, screams, rants, raves, running, and a flood. A flood that washes away our feeling of security, our hope, our faith, our calm way of handling problems. High water way above our heads now. People drowning in a flood of their own livelihood, their own blood, their own town. King Kong never did the damage that these onslaught of planes caused.

Hours (more like centuries) go by, and the water keeps rising. Those wounds split open every vein of the building with fire and brimstone. Were talking unholy stuff, bud. You sit there watching the TV thinking of how it feels. I felt the heat, the dust, and the smoke. I heard the song. Remember? That devil tune that will forever be ringing in my ears. The song of a thousand unheard cries. Under that rubble, confusion, and pieces of broken spirits there were voices. Calling out, singing for freedom.

What next? Wait for the flood to pass. Flowers on the side of the road, now remember the Towers of finance. Candles for each person lost. Hell, I thought the city was going to burn down from all of them. Flags with stars and stripes drape over rescue workers. All in the name of Love.

Now, we have to rebuild. We cant let our town go on hold forever. Revenge? Maybe, who knows? War? We dont need it. What is it good for? Dont take my word for it though, mister - Im just a storyteller.
===================

Thank you,
- The Zoocifer -
Old 06-25-2002, 12:47 AM   #19
Acrobat

Location: In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has had its day
I couldn't listen to any music that week. I live in NY and was in a state of shock and disbelief. I couldn't sleep for the next few days because at night I thought I heard an airplane flying overhead when in reality I was just hearing things or sometimes it would be a military aircraft protecting NYC.
When I did listen to music it was U2 and mostly the album ATYCLB.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:27 AM   #20
Refugee

I listened to New York, among other songs..