What did Paul Mcartney say about U2 at the superbowl ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2002, 07:58 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 07:01 PM
What did Paul Mcartney say about U2 at the superbowl ?

Some of you are referring to this but I missed the quote !
Thanks in advance !

Old 02-11-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Well since I've got the tape in my VCR I just went and looked and here's what was said:

FOX Sports Anchor: "I've got to ask you about the emotional halftime performance of U2"

McCartney: "Great, fantastic.... all the names... love it. Good Irish boys."

Because of McCartney's body language and the way in which he spoke, his comments could be interpreted as flip, but maybe not.

Remember, when Lennon died McCartney was also accused of being flip when a reporter asked him for his reaction to the murder and he responded curtly with something like, "It's a drag, man." McCartney had to explain that for a long time afterward -- and what he said was he didn't know how to respond to the question at the time. He was in shock. (I'm only using this to illustrate that perhaps McCartney isn't all that easy to figure out).

Also, to be fair, (to my knowledge) U2 have never been quoted with one word of praise for McCartney. In fact, I've never seen where U2 have said anything about Paul. Lennon, yes -- many times. Hell, their dream was to have Lennon produce a U2 album. But they don't talk about McCartney, which could be a reason he did not gush over them at the Super Bowl (this presumes he was indeed being flip).

Old 02-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/017966.html