What did Paul Mcartney say about U2 at the superbowl ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well since I've got the tape in my VCR I just went and looked and here's what was said:

FOX Sports Anchor: "I've got to ask you about the emotional halftime performance of U2"

McCartney: "Great, fantastic.... all the names... love it. Good Irish boys."

Because of McCartney's body language and the way in which he spoke, his comments could be interpreted as flip, but maybe not.

Remember, when Lennon died McCartney was also accused of being flip when a reporter asked him for his reaction to the murder and he responded curtly with something like, "It's a drag, man." McCartney had to explain that for a long time afterward -- and what he said was he didn't know how to respond to the question at the time. He was in shock. (I'm only using this to illustrate that perhaps McCartney isn't all that easy to figure out).

Also, to be fair, (to my knowledge) U2 have never been quoted with one word of praise for McCartney. In fact, I've never seen where U2 have said anything about Paul. Lennon, yes -- many times. Hell, their dream was to have Lennon produce a U2 album. But they don't talk about McCartney, which could be a reason he did not gush over them at the Super Bowl (this presumes he was indeed being flip).

Back
Top Bottom