What could U2 do to top the Achtung Baby reinvention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
You know how Bono looked completely different in the 90's and he was all over the media with his new look changing the general image of U2?

Well what if they did something similar with The Edge?

What if they made Edge the leading voice and face of U2?
What if The Edge and his antics were the centerpoint of attention? I just think it would be pretty dramatic for U2 to do. Kind of like Numb but for an entire album. His face on the media, his opinion asked, his mind picked. Bono would still be there but as a true 2nd voice. If you have any questions the man you want to interview is The Edge.

Just completely change everyones perception of the band U2.

The younger crowd would see The Edge and U2s new sound and they would give it a chance thinking it was some sort of new band instead of their dad's music.

Just a thought.

The only image overhaul the band needs is Bono.
He's become a parody of himself.

1. Cut that grease mop and trim the hair tight
2. Lose the shades and wear some rimmed glasses ala Elvis Costello rather than tacky wraparound sunglasses if you have to wear them at all (light sensitive, supposedly)
3. wear something colorful or exciting for once!!! Drab drab drab, I sound like a moron talking about fashion.
4. grow a Jim Morrison beard..... okay maybe I've gone too far.

I don't care that much about images really, I just think it's NOT helping matters of popularity/relevancy when you are sort of pinned down to a charicature like they are, specifically Bono. He's basically had that look for a solid 5 years, going on 6. I am poking fun at him, but I am serious that his image really has become a bit of an embarassment even for those woh don't care much about images. Really I never wanted Bono to become a certain "thing", ya know? DAvid Bowie is not one certain thing. Mick Jagger sort of is.

Whatever he wants to do, I think he's better served politically as well as stylistically (in reference to the relevance they covet) by ditching those motherfucking stupid ass sunglasses.

I respect the hell out of Bono, yet I don't know how he could see the Pope or the President with the stupid glasses on. In that VH1 Legends progam on VH1 he's wearing some nice glasses. Not dorky bicycle racing sunglasses, but glasses glasses, like they could be for reading.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to them being comfortable with who they are, where they are, what they do, their age etc. Not give a fuck about sales or hits or mega-tours or whatever. Put out whatever music they want, whenever they want, do a few shows here and there if they feel like it. I picture this Bono looking like Passengers-era Bono, and I dug that. After that album and seeing him around the place dressed like that, unshaved, the cap etc I thought "okay, this is going to get really cool now."

Hopefully that comfortable stage comes and they are happy to go there, rather than blow it all apart because a mega-hit/mega-tour attempt doesn't quite work out and they figure that once that is gone, that's the end of the U2 story. I see no reason why U2 can't make music until they seriously can't - just as long as they can let go of a few of their beliefs in that music.

But back on topic, Passengers-era Bono. Fuckin' cool.

(scroll down on the link to see the picture)

http://www.bonoonline.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=16&pos=19

Hmm, I'm not so sure how much I'd like the idea of a U2 album completely fronted by The Edge. For one thing, what the hell would Bono do other than backup? Strum a few chords? :lol: I, of course, don't know Bono personally, but I don't think he would take too kindly to being pushed into the background. What could possibly work is a roughly equal division of lead vocal tracks between Bono and The Edge. I've always wondered what that sort of album would be like. Interesting to think about.

As far as their image goes, Adam looks great right now, and Larry's looking okay (he's in desperate need of a hair trim, however.) The two band members that I think need a serious image overhaul are Bono and The Edge. I really, really think Bono needs to cut his hair short again. It looks okay when it's dry, but it looks terrible when it's wet. I mean, I could hardly believe it when I saw them in Toronto back in September! It's just as well he put that hat on for the encore... I know a lot of people didn't like the Pop look, but I think it really suited him. And, you know, when your hairline starts receeding, having long hair isn't a very good idea. I don't mind his sunglasses too much. If he has to wear them for medical reasons, I don't see the problem. Now, The Edge...the wooly cap is getting more than a bit old now. Surely there are alternate forms of headgear he could explore? :wink: Come on The Edge! You've worn swanky cowboy hats and berets, you can do better! Bring on the sombreros! (Joke)

But, of course, the image thing isn't all that matters. If they're comfortable with the way they currently are, I accept that, even though I mightn't agree with all of it. What does matter, at this point, is musical reinvention. I really loved HTDAAB, don't get me wrong, but I think they need to leave this current sound behind a bit. I'd love to see them delve deeper into the sound they formed for Love And Peace Or Else, or maybe even what they had going on for some of the MDH soundtrack. There's not all that much territory left for them to explore, but I think it would do them some good to at least try. I don't really think they tried to do that on HTDAAB, save for LAPOE, Fast Cars, and A Man And A Woman (even though I can't stand the latter).

Here's an overhaul...put out an album that actually sounds like what Bono promises! I hope this next album actually is a FULL guitar album, instead of just half.

Earnie Shavers said:

Passengers-era Bono. Fuckin' cool.

Totally agree, nothin looked forced there. I really think Adam looks great at the moment, kind of a more mature version of his Pop self. Larry always looks great, but the hair.....it aint right. The gel and weird form make him look alot older. Edge, I think edge is like Adam, pretty untouchable in a timeless kind of way....and the skullcap shouldnt change, its just relaxed, without the song and dance of a cowboy hat or something.

I picked up the Best of 2000 DVD in the shops the other day and looked at the pic on the back, it just shocked me how much better Bono wore a cowboy hat back then, its a side-profile pic and he just looks cool, effortless cool. In fact, they all did, it was a POP era pic, woithout the dress-up.

But basically, it really is BOno thats becoming a caricature of himself, but I'm sure 'he's the first to know it and Im sure its gonna be a sizeable change with the next album.....1, you shouldnt really have long hair when you're getting as old as he is. 2.definitly not when you're receding like he is..... and Im sure he's more than conscious of it, in fact i wouldnt be surprised if they're playing us up now for a big change. They have to.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a legion of peeps waiting to say the whole 'oh, who cares what they look like, stop being so superficial....only the music matters...' schtick, but just read the thread headline.

also, this is what u2 are, their image changes have been as significant as their musical changes....they both support each other, and usually make for a really exciting end product...

..the best a rock band can be.. :wink:

I always thought baddest ass look Bono ever had was when he did the speech for Sinatra at the '94 grammies and later accepted the grammy for Zooropa and said "fuck" on American live television.

Of course, this was the pre-cursor to the Passnegers look, so either or, he looked like a badass. Even during POPmart, minus the silly/stupid costumes, I really dug his hair I think that short cropped hair suited him really well (think Year in POP special) he looked good enough to eat. (yeah, I said it..... think True Romance opening dialogue about Elvis, only insert Bono) :wink:

Last edited:
LemonAid said:

But basically, it really is BOno thats becoming a caricature of himself, but I'm sure 'he's the first to know it and Im sure its gonna be a sizeable change with the next album.....1, you shouldnt really have long hair when you're getting as old as he is. 2.definitly not when you're receding like he is..... and Im sure he's more than conscious of it, in fact i wouldnt be surprised if they're playing us up now for a big change. They have to.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a legion of peeps waiting to say the whole 'oh, who cares what they look like, stop being so superficial....only the music matters...' schtick, but just read the thread headline.

also, this is what u2 are, their image changes have been as significant as their musical changes....they both support each other, and usually make for a really exciting end product...

I'd like to think Bono would want to change it up for the sake of being fresh but I am not convinced of it. Same with the music, this sort of thing goes hand in hand with the change some of us really look forward to. This isn't a bloody PLEBA thread of course, it's more about a new creative direction represented by images rather than the image taking meaning in and of itself.

The Zoo era was ushered in by an obvious musical change and an obvious image change. The POP era, same, even with ATYCLB was a sonic and image overhaul.

I fear they take this certain 'vein' of creative energy and run it into the ground and do one more album and tour with this same feeling, sound and image. Even more than the sound, the whole "feeling" of the last 5 years "feels" the same. Some would call bullshit on that because you can't quantify or qualify a feeling, but I promise you it's in all honesty.

To me in hindsight, it was truly what doomed POP and even to an extent really inhibited the Rattle and Hum era. People get tired of the same schtick, same sound, same look. Sure, we say "it makes sense for them to change it up" but history tells us that they don't get the message that easily. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong. More interesting musical ideas and a fresh face on the band would do nothing but help both the bands goals of staying fresh and relevant and adding more to their musical legacy, creatively not just in popularity but maybe both.

The only real change that I want is for them to make music that makes the world stand up and pay attention. I don't want "good" songs or "fun" or "nice" songs, or "pretty cool" songs. I want music that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. I want music that is timeless. I want music that will still sound great in 5 years, 10 years, 30 years. U2 has a lot of this type of music in their back catalog. Unfortunately not as much in the more recent history of the band.

Maybe those days are gone. Maybe "Vertigo" is the best they can muster up these days. Maybe the "Bad's" and the "Streets" and "The Fly's" and the "One's" are a thing of the past. Maybe they were different men back then, and they can never create like that again. Maybe we will just have to settle for bette-than-average pop/rock songs from here on out.

I am holding on to hope, however, that they have another true masterpiece left in them. And no, ATYCLB, though a decent album is no masterpiece. HTDAAB, improves greatly on it but still something is just missing. I have to believe they can still do it. They can still push themselves in new directions.

Yes, it is definately time to "dream it all up again."

bono is the sunglasses and the sunglasses are bono.

anyone who's got a problem with 'em really needs to get over it... he's been wearin' 'em for goin' on 14 years now. it would be like telling steven tyler to lose his microphone stand. mick jagger to get some of the fat taken out of his lips. slash to shave his head. whatever other cool to semi-cheesey rock star trademark you can think of... it just ain't happenin'

The thing is, Bono wore the sunglasses in the nineties as a parody of rock stars. Now he's become that parody.

typhoon said:
The thing is, Bono wore the sunglasses in the nineties as a parody of rock stars. Now he's become that parody.

That is, sadly, just too true.

U2DMfan said:
I always thought baddest ass look Bono ever had was when he did the speech for Sinatra at the '94 grammies and later accepted the grammy for Zooropa and said "fuck" on American live television.

def. his best look ever.

PopMart Bono was such a badass, if he could somehow channel that look into something new, that would be kickass

I still think Bono's the man, but to listen to him call Bush as the Mirrorball Man back in 92, then see him talking to Bushie Jr., it just puts a weird taste in my mouth.

I think they should try and market Adam and Larry more because most of my friends tune out U2 because of Bono, and the girls fawn over Larry lol

Some great points here, so far. Definitely Bono needs a MAJOR image overhaul!!! He looked great all along up until and including Beautiful Day! After that, it's become too stale and his shades have grown bigger and multi-colored, for some reason. :huh: I won't even talk about the awful hair. :no:

Completely agree with artsy Passengers look... or even unshaven Pop look! :up:

About the music, they need to become 'interesting' again. Nuff said.

Oh and... Edge should go back to fucking around with his guitar!

Not just chimey nostalgic riffs...

we want Street Mission style extended solos. :wink:

U2DMfan wrote: The only image overhaul the band needs is Bono.
spot on! boner unfortunately completely turned into a comic character of himself. furthermore the other three of the band should remove him from the brakepedal. imo he is the main-culprit for the lame sound of their last two albums.
for the next album i hope adam, the edge & larry go metal to the pedal....they should proceed as a TRIO :sexywink:

Zootlesque said:
Some great points here, so far. Definitely Bono needs a MAJOR image overhaul!!! He looked great all along up until and including Beautiful Day! After that, it's become too stale and his shades have grown bigger and multi-colored, for some reason. :huh: I won't even talk about the awful hair. :no:

Totally agree, looking back at beautiful day video and he still looks deadly, just badass understated rock star in black...

...it became visible RIGHT after that, the start of 'charicature bono' ....even as early as the promo work for ATYCLB....on rooftop in dublin, grammy's 2001...etc.....and then, most offensively in Stuck and Elevation videos...was just, too far....too plastic or somethin...

...I actually thought he looked pretty cool in Vertigo video, but its worn off quickly...

Typhoon Quote:

couldnt be more correct sadly. Its come to that.

I just thought the mid 90's look was so naturally cool, cause it wasnt Bono trying be the skinny ass, long-haired rock star he sometimes wishes he was.....he had the perfect look for his face and physique....just suited him totally, and those Corbijn pics of the time totally brought it out....he looked like he could kick your ass!

I'm not worried tho....they simply HAVE to change the look for the next time, no question about it. They know this, and its gonna happen. :|

jacobus said:
furthermore the other three of the band should remove him from the brakepedal. imo he is the main-culprit for the lame sound of their last two albums.

i agree with that, except for the last two albums being lame :wink:

I think a trip-hop album like Tricky's stuff would be out there. That or an all-acoustic album that's really stripped down and has a Celtic feel to it.

jacobus said:
spot on! boner unfortunately completely turned into a comic character of himself. furthermore the other three of the band should remove him from the brakepedal. imo he is the main-culprit for the lame sound of their last two albums.

I'm not sure if you're being serious. So I'll ask the question......are you being serious? :hmm:

why the hell does bono need to change his looks? its upto him how he looks, not you, not me, not anyone else but himself, how would you like it if someone turned to you and said, hmm you could loose this or that,

jeesus christ, its his life, let him lead his life the way he wants to

coemgen said:
That or an all-acoustic album that's really stripped down and has a Celtic feel to it.

I think there are a lot of us who'd love to see U2 break out some celtic sounds, but as for being stripped down or all-acoustic, I'd have to vote no.

I think they could capture some celtic vibe with full electric and even some loops and synths etc. the Afro Celt Sound System has done it, although I wouldn't want U2 to do THAT sort of thing, just an example.

I think it's there to be had, think POP but more organic, tinged with a decided Irish flavor and The Joshua Tree a little more sonically elaborate and with the same Irish flavor. Somewhere in the midst of that.

IMO it would be the perfect album to close out this trilogy which is supposed to be a return to 'form' or the band as a 4 piece, what better statement of 'return to influence' could they do besides a celtic album? They've never done it before, they've been running away from "Irish music" for 25 years more or less. At least that is my impression.

And I think for one, Americans might eat that shit up and it might be a commercial success, maybe not. Will they do it? I wouldn't place money on it.

KUEFC09U2 said:
why the hell does bono need to change his looks? its upto him how he looks, not you, not me, not anyone else but himself, how would you like it if someone turned to you and said, hmm you could loose this or that,

jeesus christ, its his life, let him lead his life the way he wants to

Like it or not, Bono makes his career and loads and loads of money off of fans like you and me. I am not going up to Bono and telling him to lose the stupid ass shades, and if someone did so I'd be the first to call them a jackass. I am saying, and others are saying it as a fan on a fan board talking about opinions on an opinion board.

So while we shell out loads of money for tickets, albums, t-shirts, the whole deal, I don't hold that up to the band and accuse them of over charging me, even if it gets ridiculously high for a band already as rich.

The only thing I ask in return is the expectation, Bono says it himself "it's a deal we make with our fans, our end of the deal is to NOT be crap".

So when they are crap, in some regard expect to hear about it on this board. Either get used to it or go make your own sunshine shrine to U2, all praise, all the time.

I reserve the right to call Bono a charicature of himself, because quite honestly it's beyond fucking obvious. His persona has become a crap cliche. I say it because it BOTHERS me, not because I sort of take secret pleasure from digging on Bono.

KUEF, try and learn to read criticsm from fans who love the band as much and probably more than you and find something new to add besides sticking up for a band who'd tell you they don't need you to do so in the first place.

They can't top that reinvention, musically. I don't see it this late in their career.

That said, image overhaul is due for Bono and Edge - Adam looks different, sure with Larry it's pretty much only the hair length but it's Larry so that's a big step.
Bono should stop trying with the long hair, it hasn't worked in 2001 and it doesn't now and shave! - those two combined make him look old. What was so wrong with the BD/Electrical storm haircut?

Edge, it's time he tried something other than the jeans+T-shirt combination. While the beanie is a repeat of Elevation and Zoo TV, I don't know - it really seems to work for him more than any other hats I've seen him wear. Perhaps becoming his trademark like the shades for Bono?

First off, I'd like to say everyone here is pretty much on the same page and are hungry for "the change".

As someone stated a minute back, Bono is a parody of himself. Almost to the point of embarassment. Im a relatively new fan. I was picked up during the Beautiful day/Walk on period. I went out and got their g-hits and it quickly snowballed from there.

Listening to their back catalogue, it was obvious there were two u2s. Reading fan books and mags, it was obvious they changed in the middle of their run. I didnt need message boards to tell me that. Beautiful Day sparked the curiosity, UF JT AB and PoP fed it.

Now theres this new U2. The vulnerable one. The one that looks up for a reaction instead of the one that just keeps on unfazed.

The musical skill of the band is tremendous now. Theyre capable of things far greater than Achtung baby, Joshua tree. Think about all theyve learned up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom