What bands inspiring the new record?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
And what does stripped down mean to U2?

There was that whole Whitre Stripes, Vines, Hives, etc. thing going on and probably dead now...

I was assumming these bands' music was going to be an influence. I sort of hope not. Maybe some energy but... sonically... I hope not.

I'd like to hear cool minimalism and not the minimalism of Electrical Storm or Walk On...

But will my wishes be granted?

The next U2 album will be harder edged than ATYCLB, but don't expect to hear The White Stripes or The Vines when you hit play on that marvelous first day of release. What you will hear are simple, yet intricate guitar riffs - and trust me, *cool* riffs - which will be high in the mix. You'll hear Adam on this record, too - but nothing too complicated. This will be a great, high energy record. There will be ballads, too, but the album will be nicely balanced, not bogged down. Also, on this record, you'll find U2's new gift for the "tune" firmly established. Simple tunes. Tunes that rock. It may not be the most innovative U2 record of all time, but it will have some experimentation, and a couple tracks that will blow you away. This will be the next logical conclusion of E-Storm. This is where U2 have been heading all along, but this won't be the last album.

Highlights will include:

* 'Original of the Species'
* 'All Because of You'
* 'One Step Closer To Knowing'
* 'Full Metal Jacket' (provisonally titled)

This album might have the most songs of any U2 release thus far, with a total of 12 or 14 tracks (you didn't think they were going to keep all those ATYCLB b-sides to themselves, did you?). Luckily, many of the ATYCLB "b-sides" are really first rate tracks that didn't fit into the intended vision of ATYCLB. A few of them will fit on this record, though.

I gaurantee that once you hear some of these new songs, you'll be ecstatic.

U2 will be spending the next few months on and off in the studio, working on new songs that haven't even been written yet. They should be finished recording by August. Expect the album in November, 2003. Trust me: this album will deliver.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Edge is talking a lot about quasi-punk bands like the Mooney Suzuki and BRMC. He's the creative force, wherever he is musically when they go into the studio is the direction they always go. So I would expect some pretty straight-forward harder edged songs on the next record.

YEES!

Michael Griffiths said:
The next U2 album will be harder edged than ATYCLB, but don't expect to hear The White Stripes or The Vines when you hit play on that marvelous first day of release. What you will hear are simple, yet intricate guitar riffs - and trust me, *cool* riffs - which will be high in the mix. You'll hear Adam on this record, too - but nothing too complicated. This will be a great, high energy record. There will be ballads, too, but the album will be nicely balanced, not bogged down. Also, on this record, you'll find U2's new gift for the "tune" firmly established. Simple tunes. Tunes that rock. It may not be the most innovative U2 record of all time, but it will have some experimentation, and a couple tracks that will blow you away. This will be the next logical conclusion of E-Storm. This is where U2 have been heading all along, but this won't be the last album.

Highlights will include:

* 'Original of the Species'
* 'All Because of You'
* 'One Step Closer To Knowing'
* 'Full Metal Jacket' (provisonally titled)

This album might have the most songs of any U2 release thus far, with a total of 12 or 14 tracks (you didn't think they were going to keep all those ATYCLB b-sides to themselves, did you?). Luckily, many of the ATYCLB "b-sides" are really first rate tracks that didn't fit into the intended vision of ATYCLB. A few of them will fit on this record, though.

I gaurantee that once you hear some of these new songs, you'll be ecstatic.

U2 will be spending the next few months on and off in the studio, working on new songs that haven't even been written yet. They should be finished recording by August. Expect the album in November, 2003. Trust me: this album will deliver.

Just my opinion, of course.

You seem so sure about what you are saying! I like you, Michael Griffiths ;). I hope you are right - you just used all my words to describe the new album.

"Guitar" album quote bothers me...

What were War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and even Pop? These were influential/ ground-breaking "guitar" albums Unless "guitar album" means less Larry, Bono, and Adam in the mix and the Edge sounding/ playing like Satriani or Vai, then its more annoying sensationalism, alah Pop, ATYCLB.... Bono's quote bugs the hell out of me. Why did he have to say that?

IMO to make a truly great guitar album in the 21st century is pretty hard IMO, unless the Edge has discovered a new scale, come up with dozens of new alternate tunings, etc... Are they setting themselves up for a fall considering an album with just power chords and delay/ echo won't cut it anymore after his statement.

The Edge is an effects whiz but after ATYCLB, I wonder whether or not he can be as "innovative" or "creative" with the likes of Morello, Coldplay's Buckland, etc... around and doing some fun things with the guitar. Adam has said that "nowadays, Edge tends to do his homework and discipline some chord sequences." Will that be enough?

By the way Mooney Suzuki album wasn't that impressive to me but I guess I need to listen to it some more. Where did you guys hear U2/ the Edge liking this band?

BRMC is the bomb and represent an aspect of guitar minimalism that I think might influence the Edge. Wall of sound, baby!

Well, Bono is known to exagerrate when talking about a new album, but when he says a great guitar record, I think the band realized that with ATYCLB the guitar was pretty subdued, pretty conventional stuff for the Edge, I mean just listen to Walk On for example. It doesn't get much more Edge-like than that.

He has said that the Edge is really breaking out the guitar again and that he is making some "ridiculous sounds" so you never know. Could be extraordinary. we shall see.

God, they're so cute. :bono: :adam: :larry: :edge: Got everyone guessing... :scratch: When in reality they sooooo know what they are doing.. :bow: But we really know it. I just love it.. just messing around again. What a jokester:lol: Don't you just love these guys?? :love: :sexywink:

Last edited:
I love how Bono always makes this ridiculous claims about every record and ends up contradicting/making new predictions every couple of months or so.

I never trust in Bono when it comes to albums predictions :shrug:

Anyway, he also said that they were being influenced by Coldplay, right? If I remember well he said something about a song in the lines of Clocks with the pianos and the stuff.

U2 inspired Coldplay and now they are the inspiration of U2!

PopFly said:
I love how Bono always makes this ridiculous claims about every record and ends up contradicting/making new predictions every couple of months or so.

I totally agree.

teehee said:
I never trust in Bono when it comes to albums predictions :shrug:

Anyway, he also said that they were being influenced by Coldplay, right? If I remember well he said something about a song in the lines of Clocks with the pianos and the stuff.

U2 inspired Coldplay and now they are the inspiration of U2!

I don't see how you can be inspired by a band who already copied you or you'd just be rehashing yourself. People say that Clocks is a ripoff of The Unforgettable Fire and if you listen to them both you can hear that. So if you copy somebody who copied you, you're repeating yourself and they don't like doing that! So it all goes around in circles! But that was just a lame rumor anyway and probably isn't even true. U2 would never admit to copying anyone or give secret info to some dumbass off the street. I think somebody made that rumor up to see how far it would go.

I like the Vines and White Stripes and that kind of stuff. I just think maybe U2 are too old to jump on that bandwagon but I wouldn't mind if they did!

Last edited:
Well, Coldplay is not a copy of U2, I guess they have had more influeces, and the fact that U2 are listening to them while recording this record doesn't mean they are copying them, just being inspired by their music.

Coldplay is heavily influenced by U2. There is no denying that. Just listening to the guitar and Buckland's philosphy on guitar makes it so apparent. With that said, I Coldplay is its own monster. They're grabbed an aspect of U2's music (as well as other people's music) and have run with in their own direction. No "copying" there IMO.

Anyways... U2 have always been influenced by other bands. Oasis for instance (which I think they have acknowledged). However I think the Oasis influence is a dead end IMO. Positive aspects of being influenced were the Clash's hold over U2 in the past. I just hope they don't look bad "borrowing" from others....

Back
Top Bottom