What band should U2 pass the torch to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
"In 1986 we were the biggest band, and then we turned our instruments over to U2, and then in a year, they'll turn over their instruments to another big band."

-Sting, on the Conspiracy of Hope tour with the Police, excerpt from the U2 Reader.

What band do you see fulfilling U2's shoes?

I honestly think Coldplay -- but not in a musical sense. Coldplay will write songs similiar, but that not of songs such as "Where The Streets Have No Name" or "One" -- but Coldplay will write material that will become admired by this generation -- and also Chris Martin's 'Make Trade Fair' campaign and involvement in current affairs do make him comparable to Bono.

Coldplay is a young band, don't judge too quickly.

It would be nice if it were that easy, but it's not.
U2 has held on to their status longer than any band I can think of, and haven't handed off anything yet.
Coldplay is great; we'll see what happens.....personally, Radiohead and Pearl Jam fit the bill a few years ago way better than Coldplay.

the thing is, there will never be another U2.......The Police were incredible, but only around for 6-7 years. U2 is still at the top of their game 25 years in.

Coldplay are awesome. They write beautiful songs that will no doubt stand the test of time (unlike the flavor of the week bands like Franz Ferdinand/ The Killers/ The Srokes...ect). Yep Coldplay are a young band...for the quality material they've put out it's hard to believe they've only released 2 albums! I definitely think they're right behind U2 for the "best band in the world" right now.

Their new album is supposed to come out this spring, and apparently they're experimenting with their sound, according to people who've heard previews, it's pretty mind blowing stuff.

The band that takes U2s place when it happens will do so based on their own merrits who knows if that band is around yet or not....and I havent put much thought into it because realistically i dont think its coming for at least another 2 albums from U2.

i wanna see what The Killers do on their next album, but right now i think they're the best new band, better than Franz Ferdinand or anyone else. Coldplay isn't fresh and high-octane enough. we need a punk rock group like the Killers.

discothequeLP said:
Coldplay isn't fresh and high-octane enough. we need a punk rock group like the Killers.

Coldplay has only 2 albums out though, remember. Judging from where U2 was at with "October," I'd say Coldplay is a much better band than U2 were at this point in their respective careers. It takes a while to develop as a band, and I disagree about the high octane comment too. Watch the "Coldplay Live 2003" dvd..there are some great rockers on there like "Moses," while songs like "Clocks," "Yellow" and "Politik" really come alive.

the killers are over-hyped bullshit.
that band can't tie u2's shoes.

Coldplay are great but I just don't see them filling U2's shoes. We'll see though.

Personally I don't see anyone in the near future, but tomorrow only knows.

BTW it won't be the Killers, you would have to be able to write lyrics if you were going to take that role and the man absolutely sucks with lyrics.

It's just a shame that the music industry today is no longer willing to develop the next 'great band' like U2.

All we have is this Franz Ferdinand/The Killers/Snow Patrol/Kings Of Leon drivel. A pity.

Axver said:
It's just a shame that the music industry today is no longer willing to develop the next 'great band' like U2.

All we have is this Franz Ferdinand/The Killers/Snow Patrol/Kings Of Leon drivel. A pity.

I think it's part industry and part band. None of the bands are willing to put their neck on the line. Plus we have this horible notion that anyone who embraces new media, or is brilliant with the business side somehow sells out.

Bands like Radiohead or PJ could easily have taken that spot, but both have purposely backed off from exposure. That's cool, that's their choice, but can you imagine the difference would make if when you turn on the radio or TV and heard the likes of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, and U2 on a regular basis instead of the shit we hear now.

Do Miss America said:
Bands like Radiohead or PJ could easily have taken that spot, but both have purposely backed off from exposure. That's cool, that's their choice, but can you imagine the difference would make if when you turn on the radio or TV and heard the likes of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, and U2 on a regular basis instead of the shit we hear now.

That would be absolutely sensational.

It's a shame that there are plenty of brilliant bands out there that don't have the spotlight while so many of the popular ones are absolute garbage. Besides Coldplay, I can't think of a seriously popular new band that is actually talented. I hope I'm forgetting someone ...!

Do Miss America said:
Coldplay are great but I just don't see them filling U2's shoes. We'll see though.

Personally I don't see anyone in the near future, but tomorrow only knows.

BTW it won't be the Killers, you would have to be able to write lyrics if you were going to take that role and the man absolutely sucks with lyrics.

hoorah someone finally agrees with my about their lyrics. hopefully that will improve because they have a decent sound

did not say they suck. but the lyrics need work i like the cd, but the whole i got soul but im not a soldier. gimme a break. thats crap. thats my opinon but close to a fact. they have tons of potential and i enjoy their cd as a whole

TheBrush said:

hoorah someone finally agrees with my about their lyrics. hopefully that will improve because they have a decent sound

Add my agreement to that. Their lyrics are utterly abysmal.

Axver said:

Add my agreement to that. Their lyrics are utterly abysmal.

You mean lines like these aren't great?

"I've got soul but I'm not a soldier"

"Somebody told me that you had a boyfriend, who looked like a girlfriend that I had in february of last year"

The funny thing is, even my friends who are usually completely indifferent to lyrics were telling me that the music I've been listening to lately "doesn't fuckin make any sense"...(the killers, franz ferdinand, modest mouse)

The Killers have great sound to their music, but it's so drenched in the 80's that I think they'll be a total fad. BTW, I do love "Hot Fuss," but I listen to it at face value cuz there isn't much depth to it.

I love the Killers and think they could be the next U2 easily as long as they stick with the music like U2. U2's early work was just like The Killers, U2 had shitty, stupid lyrics and Bono sounded like a fruit in the early days (the demos from 1978-1979). U2 formed in 1976 and made it 4 years later with 'Boy'. The Killers just formed about 2 years ago, and have way better songs and better following than U2 had after only 2 years of playing together .Lets see what they do on their next album before we criticize too harshly. If you have the chance to go to a Killers concert, GO. It was the best concert experience i've ever had, and i've been to Popmart and Elevation tour.

Last edited:
nuke126 said:
U2's early work was just like The Killers, U2 had shitty, stupid lyrics

The two lines ImOuttaControl just quoted from The Killers make Bono's early lyrics look like complete genius.

Hot Fuss by the Killers is the best album I have heard in a long long time. Best new band by far and I look forward to hearing more music from them in the future.

The Killers are class, the lyrics are not to a very high standard but hey I don't care it sounds good

Who will inherit U2??
Noone, no band will beat Achtung or joshua.period. C'mon, Achtung is 14 years old and Joshua 18 years old. When Coldplay/Franz Ferdinand/The Killers.../... have something like that, U2 can pass the torch

Who would/should U2 pass the torch to?

I really, really want to say Coldplay, and I love them to death, but they just haven't been able to hit a tone with me that makes me feel they could be the anthem-playing, show-stopping successor to U2. Maybe it's just their music is too mellow, even the up-tempo stuff. I'd almost rather see Keane do better if they can have a second successful album - with their first they've already demonstrated that they're more versatile than Coldplay.

Keane are good but could never do it. I've seen them live, they are Ok, but there's only so much you can do with piano and drums.

It's been said before Killers have a good sound but shit lyrics.

Coldplay lack the 'it' factor. Chris is just too plain boring for me.

Snow Patrol let's see what their next album fairs.

If only Keane and Coldplay could merge, bringing Keane's variety to Coldplay's stage presence.

Keaneplay!

Coldeane!

Koldplay!

Koldpleane?

discothequeLP said:
fuck you guys, i think the Killers are great

oh that's nice.

you've got such a way with words.

maybe you should write lyrics for the killers.

and then fart and call it music.

to no one, or at least to u2 themselves! every band has his own history, we can never say "this is the new band which can be the new one" and stuff like that. bands like led zeppelin, pink floyd, queen or u2 are simply unique. when they end, there isn't no one else following. every history has a beginning and an ending

There is no worthy band at the moment for the torch to be passed to. Rock music has never been so freakin dull. Can't wait for the next Nirvana to bring rock back to the front of the line where it belongs.

coldplay is the only band around that have talent and universal vision to handle u2's kingdom.
all the rest is just good to be hyped by the press for one year and then to throw away (if they don't break before, of course).

I'd also say coldplay. Keane is very good, but it's the same music as coldplay. I think the killers, snow patrol and franz ferdinand are hyped! They will never be as big as coldplay or radiohead. A couple of years ago there were Jet, the strokes etc. They were hyped too! Good music by the way!

Back
Top Bottom