What are your personal favorite U2 music videos so far and why ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 11:43 AM
What are your personal favorite U2 music videos so far and why ?

What are your picks of your very favorite U2 music videos made so far (that you think are their very best so far) and please say why, for any choice/s named.

Why, as in the superb cinematography, direction, editing and for the overall superb or witty visual execution of the idea, etc., based on U2's music or lyrics, or both.

If this has been well discussed here before, please give any links.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Sweetest Thing - it's just too sweet! So in terms of overall superb or witty visual execution of the idea, that gets my vote.

I also quite enjoy Elevation - it's just entertaining.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Beautiful Day is a huge favorite of mine, just perfect for the song.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 AM

I'm going to tell the truth- these are my favorites because Bono looks so hot in them

One bar
WGRYWH
Stay
Desire
WOWY
MW
Pride (version 2)
Stuck (European)
Two Hearts
TGBHF
What's Goin' On (blindfold, I know it's not U2)

I like ISHFWILF, Streets, EBTTRT, The Fly, BD, and The Unforgettable Fire because of their concepts and/or visuals (and Bono looks so hot in them )
Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Refugee

Even Better Than The Real Thing - The spinning camera and all the cool visuals just blow my mind. Also the video that introduced me to U2.

Numb - Simple video for a seemingly simple song. Smart concept too, with the whole idea of Edge sitting in front of a TV. A whole lotta Edge.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

WOWY - My first "real" intro to the band - I had seen SBS before, obviously, but this was just when they first hit it big here and they played this all the time on Mtv. (Plus, Larry looks )

EBTTRT - For the visuals, first and foremost.

One - The drag version. Very emotional, IMO.

Numb, Beautiful Day, HMTMKMKM, Electrical Storm, etc. I could go on, but those are my absolute favorites.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Streets

for the people dancing
Old 10-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
Refugee

One - All 3 versions......... especially Drag Version and The One with the word "one" on blank screen. It's so simple yet straight to the point and the drag version is just so emotional yet entertaining.

Please - love the entire visuals, which make the song ever more emotional. (They should have done something like this with "if god would send his angels")

Stay - Cool Concept.

Streets - I just love videos from JT and Rattle&Hum Era
Old 10-16-2003, 10:02 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 07:43 PM
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH!

Bwahahahahaha!

Cheers,

J
Old 10-16-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
Refugee

ONE - the one in the bar
because bono looks like THE MAN in that video, live footage.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #11
Acrobat

STAY is soooooo beautiful!!

Ive never seen the video of THE FLY... can somebody explain me how is it? Its one of my favourite U2 songs, I think a bloody red video would be nice for the concept of the song... like the hell...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:43 AM
"The Sweetest Thing" is my favorite video of theirs thus far. It's such an adorable video-I like how Bono goes all out to apologize to Ali, he puts her favorite things in there and everything. And I love it at the very end when he mouths, "I'm sorry". It's just a sweet gesture from Bono, and that's really cool.

Other videos I particularly like:

"Where The Streets Have No Name"-I like how spontaneous this video is, how they're just going right ahead with their performance, even though the cops are trying to shut them down. And everyone's there watching them. I wish I'd been there.

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"-I like how they're just hanging out downtown with various people. They're just out having fun. Which is cool.

That, and the little actions Bono makes, along with some of his facial expressions, tend to remind me of a guy I had a thing for in 11th grade. So there's a personal interest there as well.

"One", particularly the drag and buffalo versions. They make some really interesting statements, and the reasoning behind the drag version really brings home one of the many interpretations of what that song's about.

"Even Better Than The Real Thing"-All the visuals of it-it's a small peek into the whole concept of the Zoo TV tour.

"Mysterious Ways"-the shaky camera effects and the streching and wavy effects make it a very unique video. And I like the scenery-where are they at in that video? Looks like a fascinating place.

"Stay"-I like the whole concept of this video. I like seeing them as angels.

"Elevation"-I like the little adventure aspect of this video. I like the Good U2 vs. Bad U2 thing.

"Please"-Kind of a creepy video, but it's very stark, which adds to the sadness of the video's subject.

"Discotheque"-Simply here for the sole fact that the video cracks me up. There's just something very amusing about seeing the guys in the outfits that they're in. And that little dance at the end...LOL. Funny.

There's my list.

Angela
Old 10-17-2003, 12:24 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:43 AM
In no particular order:

Streets - cool.

Sweetest Thing - adorable, perfect for the song and what (who) it was written for.

Please - it's powerful in a sad, hypnotic way

Discotheque - hilarious and really relaxed atmosphere
Old 10-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #14
Refugee

One (bar), Stay, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, Elevation.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 AM
New Year's Day - the first U2 video I ever saw, the one that got me instantly hooked on the band. And on the Edge.

Streets - the rooftop performance looked totally cool (and when, oh WHEN are they going to release Best of 1980-1990 on DVD so we can see these great videos again?!)

Stuck In A Moment (football) - Very funny, very well done. Liked Larry as the enthusiastic Lemons fan.

Staring At The Sun - incredible lighting effects. Loved the bit where it looks like Bono's throwing a fireball.

Numb - Also very funny. It's nice to see a band that everyone criticized for being too serious in the 80's show that they do have a sense of humor. Also, Edge looked very hot.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:31 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Numb - Such a cool video, I could watch it over and over.

Beautiful Day - One of the best videos ever, IMO.

Discotheque - The Edge dancing :P and Larry trying to...
Old 10-18-2003, 02:11 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:43 AM
The Lemon video is one of my personal favorites. All the little commands that run across the bottom are hilarious. HAHA!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 02:17 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Discotheque...cos...well...LOL (see sig)

Please - I love the visuals
Old 10-18-2003, 02:19 AM   #19
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i'll say ebttrt, because it's such a visual experience. same with discotheque, it was like an updated version of ebttrt. then i also like lemon because it's so cool.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Refugee

Well... can't say I'm the best person to answer this, as I haven't seen too many videos, really... but I suppose...

The Unforgettable Fire- Not sure WHY I love this one so much, but it is definitely one of my favourites... it's just incredibly haunting.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For- Bono annoying Edge is far too cute. (Also, I noticed once, wearing my black JT t-shirt, that there was a guy in the background wearing the same shirt...)

Numb- This is such a great idea, and reading in U2 at the End of the World about how it was made was so funny.

Sweetest Thing- Bono just cracks me up.

I Will Follow- this makes me laugh for many reasons... Bono's bouncing... the fact that they only gave Adam one close-up shot, which Bono bounced into as soon as possible... Bono messing up his hair... Edge doing his own little hops... Larry looking so young...

There are so many I want to see though... Love Is Blindness; Lemon; Discotheque; Stuck In A Moment (the European version, anyway, I'm not much for football); Beautiful Day; Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.... and I could go on.