What are U2's "second rate" songs to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
In another forum, a small number of my boisterous detractors (as compared to the overwhelming silent majority who enjoy my posts) took offense to the fact that I referred to The Ocean, Electric Co, An Cat Duh/Into The Heart, and Zoo Station as "second rate U2 songs."

For my own categorizations, the first rate U2 songs are the "immortals" - WOWY, Streets from JT; Pride & Bad from UF; One from AB; NYD and SBS from War. These are the first rate definitive U2 songs, among a few more others.

Second rate U2 songs are those that can't quite meet up with the first rate and aren't bad enough for third rate. I'd say 80% of U2's songs may belong here - including the songs I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Third rate U2 songs to me are usually the b-sides or forgettable album tracks: Love Rescue Me, Things To Make And Do, Holy Joe, Wild Honey.

So I'd like to ask the rest of you guys - what to you constitute second rate U2 songs? Can you give some examples? I am still stumped as to why the noisy minority nitpicked my comment about second rate U2 songs being abundant in the Vertigo tour.

Cheers,

J

that is way too subjective a task. One person's trash is another's treasure. The criteria to judge what "rate" a song is is far too vague and open to interpretation. What makes a song first rate? The fact that it was a single on the radio? Has been played hundreds of times in concert? By that measurement, Pride, a song I relatively despise (I know, I know, just my opinion) is leagues ahead of Acrobat, which is one of my favorites and way more sophisticated production-wise.

Most of the songs off of Boy, War or October are third rate. I still don't understand how they'd rather play one of those instead of "Bad" or "Lemon" or any other awesome song. :madspit:

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
Most of the songs off of Boy, War or October are third rate. I still don't understand how they'd rather play one of those instead of "Bad" or "Lemon" or any other awesome song. :madspit:

You're third-rate.

Bad is overdone and Bono can't sing it properly anymore. I'd rather hear The Electric Co. now.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Most of the songs off of War are third rate.

Yeah right ... Keep dreaming !!
Most of the songs off War ... are "classic" U2 songs ...
in fact ... the whole album is practically "classic" ... and "classics" are nowhere near third rate.

BrownEyedBoy said:

They were not "third rate" (whatever that means) in '81, '82 or '83. They were some of the greatest pop rock songs of the early 80s. They suffer by comparison to the more modern mature sound produced nowadays with a heavy emphasis on synths and sequencers. We're talking out of control, i will follow, electric co., gloria, SBS, new year's day. And as far as what they'd "rather play" I have been tring to figure that out for 15 years. All I know is one thing...they REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy playing Pride.

This thread is actually kind of silly because it is simply opinions as to what fans want to hear. There is no objective measure to any of this stuff, unless you were to sit down with U2 and talk to them.

MsMofoGone said:

Yeah right ... Keep dreaming !!
Most of the songs off War ... are "classic" U2 songs ...
in fact ... the whole album is practically "classic" ... and "classics" are nowhere near third rate.

totally agree- imagine thinking that the seminal albums that are the foundation of U2's existence are 3rd rate!!! Although I tend to find October boring sometimes.

It comes down to what you like - variety is the spice of life [[insert long winded speech here]]. Objectively, I can recognise what songs are U2's 'elite', so to speak, but they completely contrast with my own subjective opinions of what I consider to be their best work. Their heavy mainstream releases have generally failed to capture my imagination on the scale that the less well known work has (and no, i'm not just referring to 'Acrobat').

perhaps you need to look into the term "second rate". Maybe you aren't a native English speaking person but the term is a synonym of "mediocre". Or below average quality.

Main Entry: sec·ond-rate
Pronunciation: "se-k&n(d)-'rAt
Function: adjective
Date: 1669
: of second or inferior quality or value : MEDIOCRE
- sec·ond-rate·ness noun
- sec·ond-rat·er /-'rA-t&r/ noun

Last edited:
Oh come on, don't act like stuff off of the first three albums are better than all the later songs. They're not. That's why the band evolved. If U2 thought that the was the best sound they can muster they'd still be doing music that sounded like the first three albums. :rolleyes:

well, you can't really use the word "better." It is just opinion. You can say the sound is musically more sophisticated, more evolved, what have you...and I totally agree with you, the technology alone is way different (actually, on a total side note, despite the 20 years separating the albums, you can hear alot of early edge on HTDAAB). But better is a poor choice of word. I mean I'll take War over Zooropa or Pop any day - I think War is "better" (granted it is all relative, I like those albums as well).

BrownEyedBoy said:
Oh come on, don't act like stuff off of the first three albums are better than all the later songs. They're not. That's why the band evolved. If U2 thought that the was the best sound they can muster they'd still be doing music that sounded like the first three albums. :rolleyes:

So is HTDAAB better than AB? Or is ATYCLB better than JT? U2 always changes their sound, it has nothing to do with it being better but in what artistic direction they wish to go in. Or else AB would have been R&H 2 or JT3. Thats a lot of acronyms.

jick said:
In another forum, a small number of my boisterous detractors (as compared to the overwhelming silent majority who enjoy my posts) took offense to the fact that I referred to The Ocean, Electric Co, An Cat Duh/Into The Heart, and Zoo Station as "second rate U2 songs."

For my own categorizations, the first rate U2 songs are the "immortals" - WOWY, Streets from JT; Pride & Bad from UF; One from AB; NYD and SBS from War. These are the first rate definitive U2 songs, among a few more others.

J

I would not consider either SBS or Pride to be first rate U2 songs, would only put them in the second tier myself. The other songs you rate as "immortal", yes I would agree. I love the Ocean but I agree that it wouldn't be one of the first rate songs. But I happen to think it's better than I Will Follow and would prefer to listen to it in concert than I Will Follow any day!

jick said:
In another forum, a small number of my boisterous detractors (as compared to the overwhelming silent majority who enjoy my posts)

J

:lmao: Funniest thing I've read all day.

TheRooster said:

So is HTDAAB better than AB? Or is ATYCLB better than JT? U2 always changes their sound, it has nothing to do with it being better but in what artistic direction they wish to go in. Or else AB would have been R&H 2 or JT3. Thats a lot of acronyms.

Clearly you need to reread my post. I said that all the other albums that came after are better than the first three in numerous ways. I was talking strictly about how I prefer anything of the latter work than those first three albums. (Even though they have a couple of shining moments here and there.)

Honestly, how many people in the audience does "The Electric Co." appeal to? Two or three hardcore fans that conspicously sing the entire song just to show how much of a good fan they are? As oppossed to "Bad" or "Until The End of the World" which are awesome songs and appeal to more people? I'm sure the latter option is more popular. Considering that U2 shows are once in a lifetime experiences for some people (like it will be for me) I think would only be fair not waste songs on obscure tracks, unless they're really good like "Walk to The Water".

Just be honest with what you like. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those first three albums. But what I feel when I listen to them is nothing compared to when I listen to Zooropa or even The Unforgettable Fire.

Last edited:
I've not been to any U2 shows, but other bands I have seen live don't always play their "greatest hits" or just the songs most of the audience is likely to have heard. What I notice is that several of the songs I don't really care for (and sometimes even skip) on the studio cd, work in a live situation. Sometimes it is in the placement of the song in the set, other times it just sparkles live in a way it doesn't in a studio setting.

So what I find is that second (and even lower) rate songs can sometimes take on a new and remarkably satisfying feel when played live (and/or arranged differently).

And personally, neither Bad nor Where the Streets Have No Name have ever done all that much for me, so I guess they would be on my second rate list.

bedouin fire said:
join with me to the noisy minority - all u2 songs are first rate !

You are kidding aren't you? Every band has songs that don't measure up to their best output.

Like you Jick i divide the songs into 3 broad categories.

1. Classics - There are 11 of these including Until the end of the world, Bad, Streets...and Beautiful Day.

2. This comprises of the vast majority of U2 songs and are subdivided into the following groups _

- Brilliant songs like The fly, Kite and Zooropa
- Very good songs like Tomorrow, In gods country and Pride
- Good songs like Dirty Day, Original of the species and Staring at the sun
- OK songs like Grace, Is that all? and One step closer

3. The songs that i usually skip and are my least fave in the u2 catalogue
Like the 1st group, there are very few songs in this group. Includes Miami, When Love comes to town and Red light.

So i guess technically speaking, my 'scond rate u2 songs' would be the ones that fall just short of 'classic' status. Along with the three mentioned in the 'brilliant' group, this group has songs like A sort of homecoming, One tree hill and lemon.

sigh......

Last edited:
indra said:

You are kidding aren't you? Every band has songs that don't measure up to their best output.

of course i am. like everyone, i prefer some songs to others.

i am just sick of threads about "my favourite songs are better than yours" or "your favourite song is not on my top 23"...
the first or second rate songs is just other way to discuss the same thing.

bedouin fire said:

of course i am. like everyone, i prefer some songs to others.

i am just sick of threads about "my favourite songs are better than yours" or "your favourite song is not on my top 23"...
the first or second rate songs is just other way to discuss the same thing.

Exactly. I am sick of this too. So I wanted to prove that there is great diversity in fan tastes in U2 music. So when I said that U2 chose "second rate songs" over others, I don't understand why the noisy minority were quick to toast me. After all, that wasn't even the main objective of my discussion thread there.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
In another forum, a small number of my boisterous detractors (as compared to the overwhelming silent majority who enjoy my posts)
yeah... ok...:rolleyes:

jick said:

U2 have like, how many?, 200 songs?
You're saying they only have less than 10 "first rate" songs?
:lmao:
You're getting "better and better" with your pointless, always trolling posts!
Find yourself another band.... please!

Greatest hits tour is pointles, U2 are not "trying hard" not to be their own tribute band... they don't have any inner fears....
IT"S ALL ONLY IN YOUR :censored: MIND!

Second/first rate songs is a subjective thing... for me the "second rate" are most of the songs released as singles...

jick said:

Exactly. I am sick of this too.

Cheers,

J
then go away... and don't come back... no one will have to be EVER be sick of it again without you and your trolling posts!

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

I completely agree. I think Electric Co. is silly:reject:

let's rate em by album

1st rate -
AB , ( good )
POP , ( good , a few weak lyrics )
ZOOropa, ( great , concept work , L+M )
JT ( classic , perfect album from start to finish )
UF ( dreamy record with brian eno in the mix ) ,
Boy ( beautiful debut )
2nd rate - October ( good , but worse then the first one , religious fanatics do not rock that much )
, War ( way too political ,
although New Year's Day is a great step forward
two hearts beat as one is also very good

, Rattle & Hum ( good album ,
nice mix of live and studio tracks

3rd rate -
ATYCLB
HtDAAB
it's a question of how to write a decent song
u2 could produce albums like this every two months
rolling stones did it for the last 15 years
a few good songs : Vertigo , Miracle Drug ,
crumbs & beautiful Day

under blood red sky - good live album , i wish u2 would release more
( ZOO Tv , Lovetown , POP mart , JT era gigs ,
elevation New York or chicago or Slane castle )

WinnieThePoo said:
3rd rate -
ATYCLB
HtDAAB
it's a question of how to write a decent song
u2 could produce albums like this every two months

I agree. I really get that feeling when I listen to the albums, especially HTDAAB. The best band in the world can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom