What are the best shows from all the tours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DevilsShoes said:
It really does depend on the quality of the bootleg, yeah soundboards are great but they can be a bit lacking in atmosphere. The 10th January Rotterdam 1990 bootleg has alot of audience presence but not so much that it overwhelms the band, it complements the recording rather than intrudes upon it, you get a real sense of just how much emotion and atmosphere was present that night, it makes for a great listening experience.

:yes: You nailed, especially that particular show. The audience is present but unobtrusive, and the sound from the band is clear as a bell. Whoever recorded that deserves a Nobel Prize for Awesomeness.

Thanks guys :drool: You all officially rock in my eyes :rockon:

Teh only problem is I am never going to find the time to listen to them all... :(

And I agree about the audience... if the audience is poor than it kinda takes away from it a bit...

OMG :drool: I downloaded a TUF show, from Melbourne from 1984... OCTOBER LIVE people :drool:

coolian2 said:

:up: Three star recordings FTW

I've now got this show downloading.

I'm probably going to bust the download allowance this month because of this thread. And i already have at least 30 shows

Tell me how badass it is when you finally get a chance to hear it. :rockon:

Allanah said:

:yes: You nailed, especially that particular show. The audience is present but unobtrusive, and the sound from the band is clear as a bell. Whoever recorded that deserves a Nobel Prize for Awesomeness.

:up: downloaded Lovetown Rotterdam last night after reading this thread, I'm listening to it now and it is even better than I expected :rockon:

Zoo Wembley1 is waiting for me when I get home :drool:

Blue Room said:
Hmm, interesting. Good information to know. Then I dont get why people seem to freak out by the mere mention that someone may have a soundboard or one exists of X show. 9 times out of 10 there is a decent audience recording of the same. But its quite clear that alot if not most people here and on U2Start prefer audience recordings.

I have saved the link to this thread and I have to the one that was similiar on U2Start about the same subject. So people shouldnt freak out about it next time.

I think it really depends on both the 'board and the aud. For example, take Vertigo Gothenburg, a great audience recording released by Crystal Cat. Now compare it to the Vancouver 'board that came out...to me Vancouver is just too "sterile" sounding to really be enjoyable. Obviously the best thing is a well-mixed sbd like Boston '83, or the Dublin Lovetown gigs, or Dublin '93...basically I'd take a great 'board over even a great aud, but I'd choose a great aud over a fair to good sbd.

corianderstem said:
Whenever I decide to take a break from U2, a thread like this comes along and makes me think "Oooh, I need to hear that show right now!"

:lol:

Know what you mean.. :wink:
I am now seriously backlogged on downloads..
Maybe I can get around to all this before the next tour. :hyper:

Vertigo shows:::
Philly 10.17.05 =D
And I have the U2start recording of the Honolulu show==SUPERB!

Peterrrrr said:
2006-11-24 - Oakland

I think you mean Auckland.

Blue Room said:
I think the best audience recording from Elevation is the April 20, 2001 San Jose show. I think its called "Shine Like Stars" or "Last Of The Rock Stars" or something like that. Its about as perfect as an audience recording can get and the show is WAY better than Charlotte.

That's the one Willie Williams wrote this about in his Elevation tour Diary, isn't it? :

"Its hard to know what to say about tonight's show, other than that it was one of the great transcendental experiences. We changed the set list, including "Stay" for the first time on this tour and "Kite" for the first time ever, both of which were spectacularly successful. The whole night just flowed and it was all we could do to hang on. Afterwards Bono seriously claimed it was the best show of his entire career and much as we all know that Bono is not generally a man prone to understatement, I have never heard him say anything like that before. He told me it was the happiest he'd ever felt on stage. I was pretty damn happy too, being a home town gig and all (and Bono thanked me from the stage tonight, which was major Brownie points). What makes a show like tonight so great? Its hard to say, other than that the Eagle had landed, the Force was with us, Elvis was in the building......"

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:

I think it really depends on both the 'board and the aud. For example, take Vertigo Gothenburg, a great audience recording released by Crystal Cat. Now compare it to the Vancouver 'board that came out...to me Vancouver is just too "sterile" sounding to really be enjoyable. Obviously the best thing is a well-mixed sbd like Boston '83, or the Dublin Lovetown gigs, or Dublin '93...basically I'd take a great 'board over even a great aud, but I'd choose a great aud over a fair to good sbd.

That Vancouver show source you speak of is no direct soundboard. Its an average to very good ALD. The Cleveland 01 show several listed here as one to get is an example of a really good to excellent ALD. That one is the same, little crowd noise, yet several list it as one to get. :shrug:

I guess I dont really care if you guys all prefer the audience shows. What I'm pointing out is that people seem to lose their minds when they find someone does or may have some type of board recording of a show and cant or wont release it. Why is it such a big deal if you all prefer audience sourced stuff? It doesnt make any sense.

I know why I personally would care. Because to me a soundboard (or even alot of the ALD or IEM recordings) are better than most audience recordings. There are always exceptions to that but for the most part that is where I'm at. Clearly I'm in the minority on it and thats fine. Its also odd to me that when a board recording gets posted on a torrent or MP3 site it tends to get overloaded with hits over just about any audience show. :hmm:

Last edited:
I'd kind of suspected Vancouver was an ALD but I didn't think it was ever confirmed...there's people insisting it's sourced from proshot video like Syracuse & ZooTV DC, and I never bought that.

As to why the stated preference for audience tapes yet the big d/l #'s for 'boards & wireless stuff, there's 2 thing working there. 1, there's a lot more audience tapes available than there are 'boards, so for a given audience tape you'll see people who were at that show grabbing it, and completists, unless it's gotten a lot of attention and showed up on a bunch of "must have" lists. 2 would be the "fox & grapes" syndrome...in other words "I don't have a copy of that sbd/IEM/ALD - big deal, they suck anyway I'd rather have the audience tape". I see a ton of that, especially regarding IEM & ALD as they're generally not falling out of the sky right into your modem - trade for something? perish the thought.

But then again I'm guessing you already knew that.

So Melbourne TUF is good? I must go download it! :)

Check out TUF Dortmund (though songs like A Sort Of Homecoming are missing, it's my fav TUF recording)!! October, MLK, Bad, and an absolutely AWESOME Electric Co. :D

AchtungGirl219 said:
So Melbourne TUF is good? I must go download it! :)

Check out TUF Dortmund (though songs like A Sort Of Homecoming are missing, it's my fav TUF recording)!! October, MLK, Bad, and an absolutely AWESOME Electric Co. :D

Yeah, the quality is a little shoddy, but still alright. And its the fourth show.

Will do :up:

The only problem now is that I am never going to get time to listen to everything... not only do I still want to listen way more to my concert, I now have a TUF concert, Dublin 3, plus Melb 2, Wembley, Hawaii, etc all to come :scream: Plus I bought albums like OKC, AFTP, about to get Hunky Dory, Wish you Were Here... :crazy:

Blue Room said:

-November 17, 1987 Denver Soundboard, best recording from the Joshua Tour period. Not sure which version U2 Start has but the best one I have heard was a remaster from a direct transfer from the pro shot called "Back In Denver".

in looking for this at u2start, Nov. 17 was LA. Denver was the 7th and 8th?

love2bmama said:

in looking for this at u2start, Nov. 17 was LA. Denver was the 7th and 8th?

Correct, typo on my part. November 7, 1987 Denver. Not sure if they have the Back In Denver version though. But most of versions are at least decent. I dont think you will be disappointed with it. :)

Joshua Tree: Tempe, San Fransisco, that dark lit place in Rattle And Hum :wink: , and Montreal in october I think, my mom went there, it was a great show :)

Lovetown: Point Peopt

ZooTV: Sydney and New York

Popmart: Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, didn't like Mexico City that much though :|

Elevation: Slane Castle :drool:

Veritgo: San Diego, and Honolulu

OH MY GOOOOOD!!!!! I just found a bootleg with Like a Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: --> :combust:

AchtungGirl219 said:
I LOVE this thread! Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! :D

COBL_04 - Hunky Dory is great, good choice. :) OKC :D :D

Cool, thanks. I'll get it soon. I already have a few from the best ofs, like Oh You Pretty THings, etc, but I'll get it. Does it have liner notes?

And on OKC..... yeah nah.

omg i downloaded my first bootleg: xmas at the depot from u2torrents

its is absolutely amazing
bono's guitar is great in this boot.. you can actually hear it
and one tree hil is absolutely amazing

thanks guys for your help telling me how
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom