what are the best live versions of these songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
what are the best live versions of these 2 songs?

mofo
pride in the name of love

after you answer put two different songs on your reply for someone else to respond to. lets see how far we can go with this.

Mofo is better than the studio version, but Pride is normal...

Great live songs? Almost all songs from ATYCLB... Their live versions are so rocking, specially Elevation and New YOrk (I love the "papapararara" at the end of the song in the Live from boston)

:)

RickFly said:
i still havent found what im looking for - either rocks hottest ticket or 12-26-89.

NYC-September '87 w/ Voices of Freedom!

Out Of Control-I'd say from the DublinShows in 89.
UTEOTW-Toronto 5/25/01.

Exit
WGRYWH

RickFly said:
EXIT - RATTLE AND HUM VERSION
WGRYWH - 6-11-1992 - STOCKHOLM

HOW ABOUT?
A DAY WITHOUT ME
ONE

I agree on WGRYWH. The Exit is quite good to, but there is one from Cork 8/8/87 that may be better. Just after Bono sings "and the hands that build" you hear some old irish guy in the crowd chant back "will also pull down", it scary!

A DayW/O Me-Red Rocks '83
One-6/11/92 Stockholm(Great Show!)

Ultraviolet
Bullet

BULLETT - DUBLIN 93, I LOVE THE HENDRIX-LIKE GUITAR SOLO BY THE EDGE.

ULTRAVIOLET - DUBLIN 93 - ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS, AND A GREAT VERSION.

HOW ABOUT ?
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
STUCK IN A MOMENT

SBS-Rattle and Hum, hands down awesome!
Stuck-I'll say Irving Plaza '00 or Hartford '01 (cause I loved it!)

Running to Stand Still
Please

PLEASE- I LOVE THE ACOUSTIC VERSION FROM THE ELEVATION TOUR. THERE WAS ONE, I BELIEVE IT WAS BALTIMORE, I COULD BE WRONG, BUT THEY HAD A GUEST PIANO PLAYER AND IT ROCKED.

RUNNING TO STAND STILL - 12-31-89, NEW YEARS CONCERT
I LOVE WHEN BONO THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMMING OUT TO SEE THE BAND.

I WILL FOLLOW
TRIP THROUGH YOUR WIRES.

IWF-NYC 6/17/01 I think? "I was cased in amazing grace, I was lost, I am found!"

Trip-This is a tough one, cause they only played it on 1 tour, right? I'll say 11/7/87 Denver.

Last Nite On Earth
WOWY

yes they did only play ttyw on the joshua tree tour . i am tied with the denver and the one from chicago (rocks hottest ticket)

last night on earth -mexico
wowy - rattle and hum version

rejoice
walk on

Rejoice - oooh...rare one. I have the video of 10/4/81 in Berlin, and it's a good version on there.

Walk on - 10/10/01, South Bend. Peace on Earth intro, and at the end the NYC fire and police dept. came onstage. I was at this show...amazing moment.

How about:
So Cruel
Bad

i was at the concert in south bend also. i love that version, for me a close second would be slane castle when bono says his dads name right before the songs starts.
but south bend is always close to my heart.

bad - wide awake in america, or the rattle and hum version.

so cruel - the hershey tapes version - if you dont have this its a rehearsal for the outdoor broadcast of zootv. its the only full band version that i know of.

new years day
gloria

RickFly said:
PLEASE- I LOVE THE ACOUSTIC VERSION FROM THE ELEVATION TOUR. THERE WAS ONE, I BELIEVE IT WAS BALTIMORE, I COULD BE WRONG, BUT THEY HAD A GUEST PIANO PLAYER AND IT ROCKED.

I know it was played acoustic with a guest keyboard player in Providence, second show.

Mysterious ways - Irving Plaza

RickFly said:
bad - wide awake in america, or the rattle and hum version.

Honestly, you can't even compare the two. I LOVE Bad, and the WAIA version pales in comparison to the Rattle And Hum version. The RAH version ... it does something for me that I can't describe, but I love it so much and it's definitely my favourite song.

By the way, for those of you more knowledgeable U2 fans, I don't know a great deal about U2 setlists and what they still play (mainly due to not being a fan for long enough), and so I have a question: does U2 still play Bad? I would desperately love to see it live.

RickFly said:
how about?
trying to throw your arms around the world
mysterious ways

I haven't heard TTTYAATW live unfortunately (must get my hands on some bootlegs ...), and the only version of Mysterious Ways that I've heard is the one on Popmart - Live From Mexico City, so I guess that's all I can answer.

How about the following?
Twilight

yes they do, they only played it i believe a couple of times during the end of the popmart tour. they brought it back during the elevation tour and was played during most of the shows. before popmart tour it was a live staple for the band.

Two hearts beat as one - Red Rocks. Yeah, I've heard the whole show before. Sounds really good on this.

If God will send his angels - Heh Heh.......wow. I would have to say that Popmart Las Vegas would be the best. It was the only time you could hear the song in a full band version. They screwed it up a bit, but it's still a good listen.

What about these:
Indian Summer Sky
Wire

hartford was a good Stuck, but bono's voice was absoultly terrible that night. he had been struggling in albany the night prior to and it had just gotten to be pretty bad in hartford.

still, it was a good show. ( i went to both of 'em).

Out of Control - Slane 2
Even better than the real thing - Sydney Video

Stay (Faraway, so close)
When love comes to town

Back
Top Bottom