What are people's impressions of the LIVE versions of the songs on Radio 1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
After finally listening to the performances, my excitement level for the live versions of the songs has gone up a lot.

All of the new songs came off very well and maintained the energy/ strength of the album tracks IMO.

Standouts for me were Vertigo and SYCMIOYO.

The ATYCLB Radio 1 gig had more energy/ soul (especially from Bono) in spite of Bono's vocal problems and music mistakes which is what I loved about the show, but the HTDAAB Radio 1 gig was better and IMO might have surpassed that past performance. I also like the changes to Beautiful Day.

Surpassed my expectations considering I feared the live versions of the new songs would sound as weak as the live versions of Do You Feel Loved, In A Little While, and IGWSHA.

:up:

VERTIGO

Bono's voice just doesn't sound as strong as the album.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU

It was just one Bono vocal in the verse. He should have done the low vocals and then let Edge do the falsetto part, kinda like how they did Don't Take Your Guns To Town.

MIRACLE DRUG

Bono screwed up the first chorus to Miracle Drug.

Edge's screwed up the lyric in his singing part - he sang "beneath the din" instead of "below the din". His voice was also too low in the mix.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN

I didn't like how the Edge set his guitar sound for the beginning. In the album it was a warm sound and fit the song better. Live it is his ringing sound.

Bono's did a respectable vocal part for this song.

BEAUTIFUL DAY

Perhaps the best performance of the night.

Cheers,

J

Vertigo was excellent live, the bass and drums were really rocking. Just pisses me off when they didn't do it live on TOTP. It would have sounded great if they did a live version for totp.

UnforgettableLemon said:
At least they didn't use a backing track live for that one. Very primitive sound. :)

True... the negatives would be using a backing track or an invisible guitarist. I remember when they did One at a Chicago show (Eleavtion tour) and the synths/ strings went completely off from what the band was playing (like it was a whole verse behind or ahead- can't remember). It sounded awful and Bono had to say "chorus" in order to get the backing track back in line with what the band was playing.

:)

I'm not denying the mistakes in this gig, but it was IMO less apparent then the ATYCLB Radio 1 gig...

Bono's voice was good. I liked the rawness of Bono's voice in the ATYCLB Radio 1 gig better though. I think he was sick to boot but he had power/ emotion at the time.

Last edited:
ABOY is going to to amazing in concert! The Edge was tearing it up... that song reached a whole new level.

i was very impressed with bono's vocal on sometimes you can't make it on your own.
beautiful day was definitely the tightest performance--of course that's to be expected--they've got plenty of practice with it. but i like the change they made with the beautiful day lyrics in the middle and i can see them doing that new verse at every show on tour--inserting names of the city/arena they are playing.

I wish he said, "soul, the goal is soul," that is the best part of the liver versions, lol! Still good though. I actually was a bit suprised with beautiful day changes!

Edge's solo was sick in Aboy! I think it was too low in the mix during Miracle drug though.

Importantly though, this is the WORST these songs are gonna sound live...after seeing boston, slane, the ATYCLB promo gigs sounded like shite..and they were great. Once they were on the road though, like compare the Boston versions verses farm club or any other of the promo gigs. The tour versions were absolutely SOLID.

I think this will also happen with the new stuff.

innocent_eyes said:
I wish he said, "soul, the goal is soul," that is the best part of the liver versions, lol! Still good though. I actually was a bit suprised with beautiful day changes!

Edge's solo was sick in Aboy! I think it was too low in the mix during Miracle drug though.

Importantly though, this is the WORST these songs are gonna sound live...after seeing boston, slane, the ATYCLB promo gigs sounded like shite..and they were great. Once they were on the road though, like compare the Boston versions verses farm club or any other of the promo gigs. The tour versions were absolutely SOLID.

I think this will also happen with the new stuff.

I agree... once the tour and the North American promos hit, I think the live versions will be very solid.

ehhh. I think I wrote in another thread about this that I didn't care much for Vertigo. But everything else was good, pretty good considering I guess they're still working out the kinks for these songs considering they're new. NIce of them to bring out that oldie, but goodie, song Beautiful Day! ;)

But yeah, Vertigo seemed to lack. Sounded like Bono was struggling with it, and it sounded a bit empty at parts.

I really liked the beginning notes of Miracle Drug live...when Bono is telling the story. It's perfect "storytelling" background sound like the opening riff to One. That's what struck me the most for some reason... I haven't come around to loving MD as most people here yet (there are at least 5 songs I like better on this album) but maybe it will come to me live.

I keep reading how Bono screwed up the first chorus of "Miracle Drug." How? It just sounds to me like he wanted to sing it a bit differently than on the album; it's not like he totally forgot lyrics and stuttered or anything.

Oh..I am going NUTS...

#1) With my crazy work and school schedule (I am in grad school and work 2 jobs), I could not listen to this. I am typing this from a library.

#2)Even if I had the time off, and could listen to it on my computer, I want to have it on a Cd so I can listen to it again and again.

#3) "first listens" of new U2 are VERY special and personal to me, they MUST be on headphones, NOT a speaker...I'm sorry but this is a VERY personal thing with me...I had a redemptive, life-changing experience involving UF in the spring of 1985 (someday I'll tell the story on here...for anyone who really does believe in miracles..since then I've vowed: first time, right in my ear. )

Which tells you all that I have not heard ANYTHING new yet. No album, no singles MP3's, no radio shows. Nada. I'm still a "virgin".

#4) Most important....I have no fancy equipement to burn a CD with. So I want to listen but can't.

I want a hard copy of all this so I can listen again and again.

Can I ask a favor of you all?

I know in this day and age nobody seems to put anything on a Cd but is content to listen off the computer...I'm appealing to anyone who still is a bit old-fashioned. You see, this is for my "Archive" and people were very nice last time about helping me with this.

What I would like is for someone to help me with my ongoing "U2 Archive" by making a compilation CD(s) for me. I would be willing to send the blank CD's, postage, and a videotape.

Here is what I need (And haven't heard at all):

--Singles:
1)Fast Cars (join the club, I know:))
2)Mercy
3)Are You Gonna Wait Forever (and anything lese I've missed?)

--Radio (online)Shows:
1)BBC Car Park performance from a month ago?
2)Rehearsals from above
3)Jo Whiley Show from BBC interview (Oct 14?)
4)Bono and Edge at Apple iPod event
5)Tonight's Radio One from Dublin show

--TV: Thursday's Clinton Library dedication in Ark. /on C-Span 3. Bono and Edge, but the whole thing would be nice. There will be other people there too.)
--Vertigo video (no, I haven't even seen this)

I am taping Sat Night Live myself so I won't need that.

And any other future shows? If they do a club gig again?

If anyone can help, please mail me privately at:

Spindle40@hotmail.com

or give a heads-up here first.

Thanks! Do a kind deed for someone who is out of the loop do to circumstances beyond her control (well, partly anyway

:wink: )

Homerpalooza said:
I keep reading how Bono screwed up the first chorus of "Miracle Drug." How? It just sounds to me like he wanted to sing it a bit differently than on the album; it's not like he totally forgot lyrics and stuttered or anything.

He definitely screwed up by singing the 2nd (3rd is the same too) chorus for the first. The instruments part of the first chorus is shorter than the rest and so Bono found himself overphrasing into the next verse.

Like someone mentioned, I really like the storytelling over the beginning notes. That was simply beautiful.

I really like how the high-note drums started picking up speed immediately before the slide guitar solo. As it enters the slide guitar solo, Larry lowered the drumming (probably used his tom toms only) and slowed it down. I didn't notice that in the studio version before. I loved it!

Of the 5 songs, Bono struggled on MD the most. Just check out how many times he had to clear his throat afterwards prior to SYCMIOYO. Still, he delivered SYCMIOYO like a mofo.

Wow you people are crazy. Bono was singing heads and tails better than Popmart and Elevation Tours. His voice, while it'll never be as strong as JT Tour, was very resonant and strong. Sure he's not going to hit every not everytime, but g-suz he sounded stronger than I've heard in a long time.

I realize constructive(?) critism is not a bad thing, but I think you're all digging a little too deep here.

I think he's going to practice MD a bit more leading up to the concert and/or pre-concert shows. It sounded like he wasn't quite in the right key during the verses and the first chorus. He did hit it though towards the end. I think he went an octave higher and hit it.

Still, this is a masterpiece of a song and will literally move mountains come concert time.

I have to tell you, I was very impressed with Bono's vocals during the second half of Beautiful Day. He was hitting high note after high note with extreme clarity, which I haven't heard him do in... a while. The whole performance was truly great though, and I can't wait to see how all of the songs continue to evolve in a love environment.

Last edited:
BBC LIVE

I am so glad that they are performing SYCMIOYO during the promotion bc that usually means they will put it into the live set...can't wait for the tour!!! I am new to this board and I think that U2 fans are the best...where else would you have entire radio shows posted within hours of airing....THANKS to all those who take the time to share the music!!!

I totally agree with the people that are saying that Bono's voice is better. That was the first thing I noticed when Vertigo came on. His voice during Elevation/ATYCLB era was a bit scratchy, not that it wasn't on the BBC gig but overall it's an improvement! Also, for their first time LIVE they did a great job. I think after the first show in Vegas in 97' they learned their lesson about coming prepared. I have a feeling this tour is going to be amazing! FLORIDA... MARCH! Woo Hoo!

I came in here amped about the great show last night and as usual I find people moaning about how Bono isn't as strong a singer as he used to be. Yeah, I get it already, I can hear that for myself. How many times do we have to say the same thing over and over again, can we not move on from that now and just sit back and enjoy the show without nit-picking at everything Bono does with his vocal. I feel real bad for Bono sometimes with the amount of a hard time we give him about his vocal. He works his ass off to make good of what he's got and it's still not good enough. Embrace the new Bono vocal, the old one will never be back. Sorry for the moan, it's just pisses me off sometimes, especially after such a great show we're still picking at him.

Anyway, I loved it, it had great passion and enery to it and I thought all the guys were excellent. Fair enough, a few little blips here and there but they're still finding their feet with the songs. They'll be on the ball by next March no problem.

SYCMIOYO was ridiculously good, and it was *still* so much sloppier than it will end up being when they play it live on tour after more practice. I really think that's the standout track on this album. It builds and builds, has so much power, and it's even more haunting live, slowed down a tad with louder guitar.

Bono's voice is better. Much better. Just listen to Beautiful Day
The part thata goes: "Touch me/Take me to that other place/REACH ME/I know I'm not a hopeless case

Specially "Reach me". It sounded so clear!

Back
Top Bottom