What are people's impressions of the LIVE versions of the songs on Radio 1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was fantastic, and the songs came across really well. Always the way that the first song up doesn't get Bono in flight but still a strong version of Vertigo. Highlight was Sometimes..phenomenal radio. You just knew it was gonna hit the mark when he sang 'Tough'..one word, full of character and style. Zane Low was in heaven and you could tell it meant a lot to him to be there. For a first airing of live 'Bomb' tracks, this was spot on.

I'm a very critical person and very critical to U2 (most of you kids know that) but the whole Radio 1 gig was phenomenal.

And Bono sung it extremely well. He hiited all the notes never sounding cracked or hoarse. Listen to the "siiiiiiiiiing" part in SYCMIOYO. He is singing tons better, specially if you have in mind that awful ATYCLB promo tour...

Even on during Beautiful Day the cracked/hoarse parts (that are part of the song even on ATYCLB) sounded crystal clear!

We can argue if this album isn't that good, but we can't argue about Bono and the band. They are a very oiled machine at full force.

I am so fucken sick of people looking for negatives in every bloody song. I loved it. I'm so glad I'm hearing live music by U2 again. In regards to Bono and his voice, he is 44 now, don't expect him to hit notes and sound like he was when he was 27. I thought he sounded brilliant. This jick character seems negative in every fucken post lately. Some people will never be pleased. Enjoy the music.

Leebonoman96 said:
And U2_Guy why would you want to be critical towards U2. What have you ever done in the music business pal?

I'm critical because i have my own ears, my own mind, my own thoughts and my own intelligence 'pal'. I'm critical because i exist. And because it's a free world (for most of us anyway) that allow us to have a mind of our own.

I have to say that yours were the most stupid question i ever heard/read. 'Pal'.

PS: i imagine you can't read well, so read my post again 'pal'. I'm praising the band.

Last edited:
Praising the band for one gig? What about other shows and the album? I might come across full on but how can you be critical of a band who has given us so much. Don't forget that next time you decide to be critical of U2.

Last edited:
Leebonoman96 said:
Praising the band for one gig? What about other shows and the album? I might come across full on but how can you be critical of a band who has given us so much. Don't forget that next time you decide to be critical of U2.

First of all: i praise the band for 99% of their career.

But...

I got your point 'pal': when U2 decides to record the band farting during 50 minutes i'll remember that the band has given us so much i can never be critical to them.

Leebonoman96 said:
And U2_Guy why would you want to be critical towards U2. What have you ever done in the music business pal?

Oh, stop being silly. People are allowed to comment on something even if they're not an expert in the field. If not, remember that next time you go to a restaurant and get a mediocre meal, get bad customer service, read a book/ see a movie you don't like that according to your philosophy, you're not allowed to criticise unless you're an expert yourself.

It's the human nature to be critical. Sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive.

We hear U2 - who most of us here love dearly - do something and of course everyone isn't going to gush blind praise. Likes and dislikes are completely subjective.

And I don't think the band would want us to gush blind praise, particularly if something they did was mediocre [which I'm not saying is the case here, but I know that not everything they've ever done has been OH EM GEE 100% PURRFECT].

Right. I'll just get down off my soapbox and go and sit in the corner for a while. :reject:

Renne said:

Oh, stop being silly. People are allowed to comment on something even if they're not an expert in the field. If not, remember that next time you go to a restaurant and get a mediocre meal, get bad customer service, read a book/ see a movie you don't like that according to your philosophy, you're not allowed to criticise unless you're an expert yourself.

It's the human nature to be critical. Sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive.

We hear U2 - who most of us here love dearly - do something and of course everyone isn't going to gush blind praise. Likes and dislikes are completely subjective.

And I don't think the band would want us to gush blind praise, particularly if something they did was mediocre [which I'm not saying is the case here, but I know that not everything they've ever done has been OH EM GEE 100% PURRFECT].

Right. I'll just get down off my soapbox and go and sit in the corner for a while. :reject:

Thanks. That Leebonoman96 question/comment was so 'nonsense' that it makes me wonder if he's being sarcastic...

Bono's voice was it good form!

Did anyone else notice that Adam's bassline for the verse in Beautiful Day is a bit different?

I have to admit, I am pretty worried about the tour's effect on Bono's voice. He is *really* struggling on Vertigo and ABOY, there's just no argument.

I saw them in Albany last time and his voice, ravaged by a cold, was completely shot. He needed the crowd to help him out, which we were all too happy to do.

This tour, I hope - but don't expect - that his voice is up to it. Perhaps they'll keep the vocal mix low and the instruments up high as a way to mask it a little bit.

Teta040 said:
Oh..I am going NUTS...

Here is what I need (And haven't heard at all):

--Singles:
1)Fast Cars (join the club, I know:))
2)Mercy
3)Are You Gonna Wait Forever (and anything lese I've missed?)

--Radio (online)Shows:
1)BBC Car Park performance from a month ago?
2)Rehearsals from above
3)Jo Whiley Show from BBC interview (Oct 14?)
4)Bono and Edge at Apple iPod event
5)Tonight's Radio One from Dublin show

--TV: Thursday's Clinton Library dedication in Ark. /on C-Span 3. Bono and Edge, but the whole thing would be nice. There will be other people there too.)
--Vertigo video (no, I haven't even seen this)

I am taping Sat Night Live myself so I won't need that.

And any other future shows? If they do a club gig again?

If anyone can help, please mail me privately at:

Spindle40@hotmail.com

or give a heads-up here first.

Thanks! Do a kind deed for someone who is out of the loop do to circumstances beyond her control (well, partly anyway

:wink: )

I would be willing to make a CD compilation of all that stuff but I dont have video capabilities. Email me at kawai at project99 dot tv unless someone else is willing to do the rest.

Maybe just a little but my point is there are people on forums that just be critical at anything U2 do. Nothing ever seems good enough for them. Anyway great performance, can't wait for the next one.

I was very impressed by this Radio One gig. Bono sounded great - and I was worried about his live performances of these songs given the range he has on the album. But he was great. And, naturally, the band sounded fantastic (as always). I think this mini-concert was far better than the first ATYCLB mini-concerts. Of course, over time U2 got better with the ATYCLB songs and really excelled at those. I imagine the same will be true with the HTDAAB songs. And given how well U2 are already performing them, they'll be f'ing great come March! :up:

can you imagine watching a DVD in slane castle type setting with u2 blasting live through miracle drug and cobl!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:
better yet, being there in person. i can feel and picture that these songs are gonna be absolutely massive live on tour.

I thought it was awesome. Like others who have mentioned it, I had serious doubts about Bono's voice, and thought the new stuff would sound weak. Far from it, his voice was excellent. I can't believe some people have nit picked saying it didn't sound as good as the studio version. Well of course it isn't going to be as good as the studio..!!!!

I'm really excited now about the tour, if this is how they sound after a few rehearsals, imagine how they will sound in March when they've properly worked through the new material.

fantastic! the band sounded great, it was awsome!!!!

they even talked about nirvana in the interview which was pretty cool :D

I'm in total agreement with those of you saying that they sounded amazing on the Radio 1 gig. Awesome, i thought. They are sounding better than ever. That version of BD was very clear and defined sounding to me. Bono was hitting the notes there, definitely. This has made me MEGA excited about seeing them play now that's for sure! :hyper: :hyper: :bow:

Did I get the whole interview? When they break the first time do they come back for another portion? The part I have ends with the guy saying "Play the album!" Can someone help me out?

Anyway, I feel the performance was not perfect by any means. However, there's no way it can be expected to be perfect on the first try. The songs have so much potential, I can't wait for the tour. Highlight... BD, just because I recognize it now as a classic U2 song, and they have such command of it...:yes:

Bono's voice is in a great moment... and they played awesome

SYCMIOYO is simply perfect....

Needle_Chill said:
Did I get the whole interview? When they break the first time do they come back for another portion? The part I have ends with the guy saying "Play the album!" Can someone help me out?

Yep..that's my fault most probably :lol: What with all the excitement of the event and trying to share my recording I balls'd up and only edited to the beginning of Nirvana's Lithium and didn't add the rest of the interview following this.

I've since replaced the original 8Mb mp3 with the full interview, here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.hazell/U2/

:up:

Regards,

Alan

enajh2 said:

Yep..that's my fault most probably :lol: What with all the excitement of the event and trying to share my recording I balls'd up and only edited to the beginning of Nirvana's Lithium and didn't add the rest of the interview following this.

I've since replaced the original 8Mb mp3 with the full interview, here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.hazell/U2/

:up:

Regards,

Alan

you're a great soul, thanks a million!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Wow you people are crazy. Bono was singing heads and tails better than Popmart and Elevation Tours. His voice, while it'll never be as strong as JT Tour, was very resonant and strong. Sure he's not going to hit every not everytime, but g-suz he sounded stronger than I've heard in a long time.

I realize constructive(?) critism is not a bad thing, but I think you're all digging a little too deep here.

This is absolutely true.

I was at their gig in Charlotte. His voice varied between sounding really hoarse and like Michael Jackson. I assume that was either because I was standing way to close to the tweeter speaker or because they were trying to electronically smooth and not doing a particularly good job.

On these BBC 1 concert takes, his voice sounds solid and not like he's trying really hard to reach a falsetto.

teebee said:
I have to admit, I am pretty worried about the tour's effect on Bono's voice. He is *really* struggling on Vertigo and ABOY, there's just no argument.

I saw them in Albany last time and his voice, ravaged by a cold, was completely shot. He needed the crowd to help him out, which we were all too happy to do.

This tour, I hope - but don't expect - that his voice is up to it. Perhaps they'll keep the vocal mix low and the instruments up high as a way to mask it a little bit.

I wonder about the wisdom of the shreak / roar he does in the middle of All Because of You. It hurts my own throat listening to it. Kind of reminds me of his start to Hold Me Thrill Me... on popmart (see hasta la vista baby cd) clearing his throat in a grizzly growl.

Back
Top Bottom