What are Bono's favorite books, poems and authors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweepie

The Fly
I really like to read and I hear Bono does too. I'm interested in reading some of the stuff he's read or been really into. It would also help me know him better as a person.

Has anybody heard what his favorite authors and poets are? What are his favorite books? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I know he loves Leonard Cohen (Canadian poet, singer-songwriter) and William Butler Yeats (Irish poet). He appreciates Jack Kerouac and and Raymond Carver (well, I know Edge does), and of course William Burrows. I know there are others, but I can't get around those pints I just had. Maybe later...

a few more he's mentioned over the years

What's So Amazing About Grace, Philip Yancey
The Book of Judas, Brendan Kennelly
Flannery O'Connor (can't remember which - the stories??)
someone already said Yeats--- Yeats is huge!
Salman Rushdie
and of course the Bible! most recently in the "Message" translation by Eugene Peterson, which makes me think he's likely read some of Peterson's many other works too.

I've read where he really likes history books, too. I recall him giving Bill Clinton his favorite Dublin history book (don't recall the writer).

The Brothers Karamazov

This book, among others, was mentioned to a fan.
I'm reading it right now and it contains much religious talk. Great novel so far.

Tolstoy's "War and Peace". He went to three bookstores in some U.S. city to look for this, and finally found a copy. Even rock stars don't always have the best luck in the world. :lol:

The fact that the man likes and reads authors such as Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky is just yet another reason why I like him. :up:

Bono is a very smart man with good taste! :up: Sula, how could you let Viggo get cut off? Why not take some of the words out of your sig or move them to the side? Poor Viggo, it's buggin' me;)

there...it's a little better now. i dunno exactly how to fix it, but at least you can see more of him now. poor viggo.

The Heart Of Darkness- Joseph Conrad
The Jaguar Smile- Salman Rushdie
No Logo- Naomi Klein (Edge read this one, and you should too, it's brilliant)
The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things- JT Leroy

i must say, bono has incredible taste in literature.
anytime i want something to read i try and find an interview where bono mentions what he's reading at the time. that might sound pathetic but at least i know i'm getting a worthwhile book.

long live U2!!

Back
Top Bottom