What are Bono's favorite bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wertsie said:

You do? Where is it from? I can't for the life of me remember, but I know that I've heard it before! I just found it while browsing the web and added it to my website.

VH-1, when they had some show that premiered BD and had Bono and Larry on there for an interview. It was September or October of 2000. I haven't seen that tape in awhile, actually....... the album came out after that and I got all mixed up in that and a few other things went wacko, too. :laugh: :laugh: :scratch: :confused: :confused:

verte76 said:

VH-1, when they had some show that premiered BD and had Bono and Larry on there for an interview. It was September or October of 2000. I haven't seen that tape in awhile, actually....... the album came out after that and I got all mixed up in that and a few other things went wacko, too. :laugh: :laugh: :scratch: :confused: :confused:

:lol: I do stuff like that all the time. I'll find out that U2 is going to be on TV for something, I'll tape it, and then I won't label the tape or anything so I'll have no idea where I put it!

But now I have a tape labeled "U2" where I can record all of that stuff, and I force myself to list what I just recorded on the label right after I do it.

Actually, I started to label my U2 stuff when I knew I didn't want to misplace "Elevation" footage. An interview is cool, but it's not quite as irreplaceable as "Elevation" footage. I have a better interview from MuchMusic in Canada, which I was really lucky to get since I'm not Canadian, and that was special, since it's also got a gazillion videos and "Elevation" footage, and all four band members in the interview! You'd better believe that's labeled!!!! I'd *die* if anything happened to that one!! It's hot! :drool: :drool: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drool:

From enjoyu2.com:

Bono's Top 10 List

Give Him Beatles, Bee Gees and Public Enemy

He limits his choices to bands and warns that his list is "far from definitive.

1. The Punk Rock Album: (The Sex Pistols had the best singles, but I'll choose) The Ramones' "Leave Home"

"Edge and Larry were 14, Adam and myself were 16, when, after an argument about the arrangement of our own songs, we conned an Irish national TV producer that we had written 'Glad to See You' and 'I Remember You' [from that album] . . . We got the TV show, switched the songs back to our own. . .. Fame and good fortune soon followed . . . viva la Ramone."

2. The Hip-Hop Album:public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet"

"Hip-hop is the most important movement in music since the Beatles. . . . PE guested with us in L.A."

3. The Only-White-Folks-Doing-This category: The Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head"

"White rap's 'White Album.' "

4. Great Wordy Album: Patti Smith Group's "Horses" and the Waterboys' "This Is the Sea"

In rock, the word 'poet' gets thrown around a lot. Not here. . . I feel the same about 'redemption.' "

5. The Haircuts-So-Bad-They-Were-Ignored-for-Years category:
The Bee Gees' "Best of the Bee Gees"

"Tunes and more tunes. It must have hurt to know you were that great and yet not to be taken as seriously as say . . . progressive rock!"

6. The Seminal Album slot: The Pixies' "Doolittle"

"Could have been 'The Velvet Underground' or the Buzzcocks' 'Another Music in a Different Kitchen.' . . . I'll chose 'Doolittle,' a big influence on Nirvana. . . . The Pixies invented the high drama chorus-verse gear shift that was such a hallmark of 'grunge.' Frank Black has a scream to wake the dead . . . slashing songs, but not his wrist . . . paranoia without the self-pity. And humor. . . ."

7. Girls in Groups: "The Pretenders" and Hole's "Live Through This"

"The Pretenders: tough-minded, tender-hearted. 'Brass in Pocket' was the single of the year. Hole: advanced guitar sounds, a sense of pop to match her man's but a better album than 'In Utero,' up there with 'Nevermind.' Both women give a lesson in how to hold an electric guitar."

8. The Calls-to-Mind-a-Location Album: The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" and R.E.M.'s "Automatic for the People"

"Beach Boys: If I close my eyes, I can see Brian Wilson's sand pit, the West Coast, the dad, the drugs, the genius. Joy is the hardest thing to pull off . . . in life, in art, in movies (Steven Spielberg), in music (Sly & the Family Stone). The Beach Boys overcame the obstacle of major chords sounding trite.

"R.E.M.: Normally you can see the sun shining in their songs. I've never been to Athens, Ga., but here it's raining. This blurred melancholia features the greatest country crooner never to make a country record. Here R.E.M. are a co-op, a four-legged table, a real band in that everyone's voice is heard (this is more difficult than you think). R.E.M. have pulled off the impossible, a giant group that doesn't appear so. . . . Standout tunes."

9. The One-Person-Writes-the-Tune-but-It- Wouldn't-Be- the-Same-Without-the-Band scenario: The Who's "Live at Leeds,"The Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" and Oasis' "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"

10. The Best-Pop-Group-in-the-World category: The Beatles' "White Album."

"This category is opposed to the Best Rock Group category, which would have to be the Clash's 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' (it's the only band U2 would not go on after . . .) or the Rolling Stones' masterpiece 'Exile on Main Street.' The Stones have the songs and were much better live, but in the studio . . . the 'White Album' is the one. I know it's all over the shop. . . . It's a blueprint for us at U2 HQ . . . experimental pop, metal soul, the blues. It's all there, but it would mean nothing if you didn't care about the group and I guess I still do."

"P.S: If there was a 'black' album category, I would choose Nine Inch Nails' 'Pretty Hate Machine.' I know drama is achieved easily when painting in black, and gothic is the flared trousers of the '90s, but something much more extraordinary is going on here."

Roy Orbison- he wrote "Shes a mystery to me" for him- i didnt see him mentioned here :(

I loved Roy :(

Lara Mullen said:
Roy Orbison- he wrote "Shes a mystery to me" for him- i didnt see him mentioned here :(

I loved Roy :(

So did I. I was bummed when he passed on. I remember that song...it was really pretty.

Thank you for your very interesting and informative responses. I can't believe I forgot the Ramones!

Regarding recent work, Bono appreciates (among many others) Wilco, solo Frank Black, and the Flaming Lips.

Back
Top Bottom