"What a wan#er you have for president!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Cat Gav

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Anyone remember the MTV europe awards in Paris I think(although for some reason I keep thinking "Rotterdam")?
U2 collected an award for best group or something, it was around the time of Passengers.
France had just carried out nuclear tests in the Pacific and Bono was not happy!!
An angry Bono shouted thus from the podium:
"What a night, what a city, what a crowd....WHAT A BOMB!!! WHAT A WANKER YOU HAVE FOR PRESIDENT!!! What are you gonna do about it?? Teeelllll me you're gonna do something about it!!! Next year, let's not give this (his award) to Jacques Chirac!!! "
It was brilliant, so funny! I was watching it yesterday on video, and noticed the brilliant expression of shock on Adam's face. Adam is standing behind Bono and was clearly not expecting Bono's outburst!! It is absolutely priceless, has anyone else spotted Adam's horror?
Brilliant TV and a great U2 and Bono moment! I want to see more of this from our hero!!

Not to derail the thread or anything, but when I read the Title of it I couldn't help but think that you were discussing our current (US) President.

:| :reject:

It was definitely wanker! :)
And I'm sure deep in his heart Bono KNOWS that he wants to call Mr Bush a wanker too!! :wink:

Pero said:
it was 1994.
I believe zooropa was best alternative album.
I think it was idiot,not wanker

It was definitely wanker, not idiot. I have it on tape somewhere. I don't think they won for an album either, I think they just won for best group. I know it wasn't 1994, because I didn't become a fan until 1995...so I know it was sometime after then. I think they just won something like Best Band, because Bono said something like, "U2 didn't put out an album, U2 didn't go on tour...that must be the trick."

Bonochick said:

It was definitely wanker, not idiot. I have it on tape somewhere. I don't think they won for an album either, I think they just won for best group. I know it wasn't 1994, because I didn't become a fan until 1995...so I know it was sometime after then. I think they just won something like Best Band, because Bono said something like, "U2 didn't put out an album, U2 didn't go on tour...that must be the trick."

Pretty sure it was 96 or possibly 95, it was after Passengers.

It was the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards. They won for Best Group. They won the 1994 Best Alternative Album grammy for Zooropa.

bridgit said:
It was the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards.

That sounds about right. They had the single for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" out in 1995, too, which I think is why their name was up for nomination.

Yeah, that was the time when Bono had some balls.
He recieved last year some award from the same "wanker"...
Hypocricy,maybe???

djerdap said:
Yeah, that was the time when Bono had some balls.
He recieved last year some award from the same "wanker"...
Hypocricy,maybe???

No, that's not hypocrisy... hypocrisy would be if Bono then conducted a nuclear test akin to what France did.

U2 won an 1995 EMA for HMTMKMKM I believe, as I remember hearing about it on Mtv News at the time.

As for hypocricy...Bono needs the help of Chirac and the leaders of the richest countries to assist in African aid. Calling out world leaders today wouldn't prove Bono "has balls," it would prove that he's willing to gamble the well-being of millions of Africans for a chance to seem "cool" to certain fans.

And honestly, Bono of 11 years ago and Bono of today most likely have different views of politicians--I think Bono's said more recently that he now understands why some government officials do what they do, even if he doesn't agree with their actions.

The only thing it would prove is being stupid.

"yeah, you're a w.... but can I have a few million dollars for Africa?"

Lemonfix said:
U2 won an 1995 EMA for HMTMKMKM I believe, as I remember hearing about it on Mtv News at the time.

As for hypocricy...Bono needs the help of Chirac and the leaders of the richest countries to assist in African aid. Calling out world leaders today wouldn't prove Bono "has balls," it would prove that he's willing to gamble the well-being of millions of Africans for a chance to seem "cool" to certain fans.

And honestly, Bono of 11 years ago and Bono of today most likely have different views of politicians--I think Bono's said more recently that he now understands why some government officials do what they do, even if he doesn't agree with their actions.

I agree. It is to Bono's credit that he has the maturity and complexity to not take the easy way out and bash unpopular politicians, but be as diplomatic as possible with the larger goal in mind.

Didn't the audience booo him? Despite his popularity I guess the audience didn't find it that cool. Maybe the Parisians like those nuclear tests. :wink:

Lemonfix said:
Didn't the audience booo him? Despite his popularity I guess the audience didn't find it that cool. Maybe the Parisians like those nuclear tests. :wink:

nah they didnt boo him, i still have it on tape. the crowd liked it.

Back
Top Bottom