What A Mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Doing the duet with Mary J Blige has whored out One and themselves, too. When I first saw the video I was quite excited about, "wow U2 back again!" but I'm disappointed with this choice day after day. It feels like they have thrown out their uniqueness and mostly they have destroyed the myth of One. It's very sad to see on magazines One as a handy ringtone, where's written "MARY J BLIGE FEATURING U2".........................FEATURING U2?!?!?!?!?!?! FEATURING U2?!?!?!?!?!?!? :censored: Or more see Mary J Blige at first place on Top of the Pops hearing Bono's voice recorded as a sample...............this is not right, this is not ok, they have took their best piece and have thrown it in the toilet. I'm not talking only about the song, but about its history, its place in the Olympus, the earlier 90's when the song came out when they were the coolest band in the world
U2 have done probably one of their biggest mistakes this time, I don't understand why they want to belong to this cheap pop commercial mainstream which has nothing to do with them and with the music they come from. Why did they go with this choice, why did they give the rights to Mary J Blige...................it can't be just money the answer for the defenestration of One.

Unfortunately Pink Floyd have done it, too, allowing Scissor Sisters to ruin another masterpiece like Comfortably Numb, but it had not the same resonance MARY J BLIGE FT U2's One is having..............................Mary J Blige FT U2, One...............................this is crazy

What an idiotic post. Just because you don't like modern R&B, doesn't mean the band feels the same way. It is certainly not "whored out". Besides, while I am not a fan, she has a great voice.

bsp77 said:
What an idiotic post. Just because you don't like modern R&B, doesn't mean the band feels the same way. It is certainly not "whored out". Besides, while I am not a fan, she has a great voice.

I like Mary's voice, too. Even if I don't like a certain genre I can recognize a talent, and I have posted this even in earlier threads here. So, there's no discussion. I'm just sick of seeing One being so pushed and pulled.................................

(idiotic interpretation)

Wasn't it done for charity though so in that respect they are looking at maximum sales and appealing to as many as possible in ehich they were successful.

Whilst I dont like her screaming all over the record she is at least (to those who appreciate her style of music) a credible artist (that sounds wanky doesnt it) what I mean is it isnt done with a manufactured talentless pop star like Britney or The Back End Boys!

Also U2 have always had an affection for that style of music/singing with Still Havent Found which was always intended or more suited to a gospel song (which is why I dont like the R & H video version).

So for charity I can excuse them. For M J Blige I can understand them.

One is One and always will be U2's One!

I don't know, but this song means a lot to me personnally, it is binded to an important life experience of mine......................and it's like a thing I would never see being touched by anyone....................

babyman said:
I don't know, but this song means a lot to me personnally, it is binded to an important life experience of mine......................and it's like a thing I would never see being touched by anyone....................

therein lies your problem mate.

keep the original close to your heart and accept the MJB collaboration as a necessary evil for charity.

babyman said:

The Johnny Cash cover is better than the original as well.

CKONE said:

therein lies your problem mate.

keep the original close to your heart and accept the MJB collaboration as a necessary evil for charity.

:).........................................Well, you're probably right...........................

^The Joe Cocker version bothers me immensely. :yuck:

well it did the one time I listened to it...I haven't listened to it since and strangely it hasn't bothered me. :p

(and yes I "get" him and like some of his stuff)

I think Mary J Blige's cover is much better but it doesn't really do much for me either way.

bsp77 said:

:lol: No, I understand. Just "whored out" seemed a little strong.

Well, yeah........probably................but that word came out alone, I was in a frustrated state while I was writing this topic................it's when words come out of another dimension where you're still stuck

It's just curious that everyone is trying to nail the band for this cover.

One has been covered alot, by a variety of different artists.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

just hearing the words "joe cocker" makes me stand up and sing you are so beautiful in my very bad joe cocker voice

Remember that show "Growing Pains"?

Mike's best friend was named "Boner."

BONER.

MrBrau1 said:

Remember that show "Growing Pains"?

Mike's best friend was named "Boner."

BONER.

when i was in 9th grade we were sitting at the table in the cafeteria and we were talking about growing pains, and my friend adam decided that we should have our own boner, looked around the table, saw chubby ole' ed jablonski sitting at the end, pointed at him and said "you!"

he was boner from that point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom