What a great album it is!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricalVoice

Refugee
I'm talking about POP... what a great album. I was sitting in my favourite chair and watching the DVD - best of... Suddenly i came to this conclusion - MAN, what a great album POP is. I was watching the video of If God..., and POP was really reborn in my eyes; Discotheque, MOFO, Staring, If God, Velvet, Wake up, Please, Gone and dooo yooou feeel loooooved....
What an album..

Hello,

I also like the album very much, but somehow I think many will groan when they see this thread... and I can't fault them for it.

C ya!

Marty (who has lost track how many Pop thread's there have been in the past 2 months)

P.S. I promise this will be my only post about this subject in this thread. I really do :)

definately. it was my 1st studio U2 album (my 1st U2 album was the best of 1980-1990) and it totally began my U2 fascination and why i like the band so much. it truly started a new phase in my life. i was never into music, and i cant even remember why i decided to buy the 1st best of, but by god im glad i did. :up:

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE the new mix of "Gone" on the new Best Of. It's more like the live version.

I think POP was one of those albums that you just needed to hear live...When I heard the guys play those songs live during the Popmart tour, that's what really hooked me.

Pop is a great album and I think it will be vindicated after a few more years.

Everyone's got to remember that ATYCLB wouldn't be the same if there was no POP.

Not my favorite album, but there are some good tunes on there, especially Gone & Please.

I'm really trying very hard to find something positive to say about this album

umm .... it's a really shining disk :)

Last edited:
PoP was the very first U2 album I ever listened to and I was blown away. :cute:

It's funny that so many people say it was under-produced, and that the songs really ony hold up live, because, to me, it is the ultimate head-phone album. There's so much subtlety going on inside the textures of Pop. Listen to 'Wake Up Dead Man' on headphones, and you'll hear all kinds of classical music and background atmosphere. I think it even has opera.

Listen to 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' with headphones, and you'll hear the sound of space being stretched through velvet, and how light sounds when reflected through that very prism. It's a remarkable album for those and many other reasons.

Michael Griffiths said:
It's funny that so many people say it was under-produced, and that the songs really ony hold up live, because, to me, it is the ultimate head-phone album. There's so much subtlety going on inside the textures of Pop. Listen to 'Wake Up Dead Man' on headphones, and you'll hear all kinds of classical music and background atmosphere. I think it even has opera.

Listen to 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' with headphones, and you'll hear the sound of space being stretched through velvet, and how light sounds when reflected through that very prism. It's a remarkable album for those and many other reasons.

what the man said.:yes:

Michael Griffiths said:

ooo, that was nice

I bought Pop last. With all the negative feedback I was fully expecting to hate it and just bought it to complete my collection... except it blew me away. Yum.

Michael Griffiths said:

Yep (and the new version of that song is just as awesome as the original...my god...wow).

This is a great album. I can't think of one song off of there that I don't like. All around goodness. :).

Angela

Don't you people get bored of threads praising POP?

I don't get it. In the last Favorite Album Poll, everyone's favorite albums were Achtung or Joshua Tree, but yet, all we see every week is people admiring the awe inspiring wonder that is POP. Why is that?

Maybe I'll start a weekly "Achtung Baby is the only reason I continue living" thread.

Seconds said:
Don't you people get bored of threads praising POP?

I don't get it. In the last Favorite Album Poll, everyone's favorite albums were Achtung or Joshua Tree, but yet, all we see every week is people admiring the awe inspiring wonder that is POP. Why is that?
You just answered your own question: it's because Achtung Baby and JT have already been discussed about 5 trillion times, by not only the media, but also people on this board (myself included) - because they're the most popular. It's the albums that don't get as much recognition that people feel the need to bring into the spotlight - and understandably so.

Michael Griffiths said:

You just answered your own question: it's because Achtung Baby and JT have already been discussed about 5 trillion times, by not only the media, but also people on this board (myself included) - because they're the most popular. It's the albums that don't get as much recognition that people feel the need to bring into the spotlight - and understandably so.

Apparently people are also terribly selective about which "neglected" albums need recognition. I haven't seen many threads on Zooropa, Boy, October, The Passengers; there have been more threads discussing POP than all the above-mentioned albums taken together. In fact, if any U2 album is definitely -NOT- attention-starved on this board, it's POP.

Last edited:
Saracene said:

Apparently people are also terribly selective about which "neglected" albums need recognition. I haven't seen many threads on Zooropa, Boy, October, The Passengers; there have been more threads discussing POP than all the above-mentioned albums taken together. In fact, if any U2 album is definitely -NOT- attention-starved on this board, it's POP.
I still don't understand why it's a big deal. If people want to post about Pop or Zooropa or even about Edge's pet Chinchilla, what's the problem? They're only discussion topics. It's our choice to read them - or not. I find it interesting that the one way that would get rid unwanted threads is never used - that being to ignore them. If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.

As for the complaint that we don't have enough posts on other albums, I'm all for it. Let's see more posts on Zooropa and Passengers. Zooropa is a fascinating album to discuss, because there are so many things to say and understand about it. I've missed those Zooropa threads (there were actually quite a few at one time - and I suppose there still are, as "Your favouritie song from Zooropa" is one of them). Let's start another one though! I haven't seen a good Boy thread in a while, either.

Michael Griffiths said:

I still don't understand why it's a big deal. If people want to post about Pop or Zooropa or even about Edge's pet Chinchilla, what's the problem? They're only discussion topics. It's our choice to read them - or not. I find it interesting that the one way that would get rid unwanted threads is never used - that being to ignore them. If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.

As for the complaint that we don't have enough posts on other albums, I'm all for it. Let's see more posts on Zooropa and Passengers. Zooropa is a fascinating album to discuss, because there are so many things to say and understand about it. I've missed those Zooropa threads (there were actually quite a few at one time - and I suppose there still are, as "Your favouritie song from Zooropa" is one of them). Let's start another one though! I haven't seen a good Boy thread in a while, either.

:up: Well said, Michael. I have tried making an "October Appreciation Thread" before and I think probably some of the other neglected albums too, but people just don't seem to have as much to say about those. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because POP was really the first album in U2's recent past that wasn't well-received across the board. I know that there are a lot of fans out there who LOVED POP but also heard all the backlash it received and did not appreciate it.

On the other hand, albums like Boy and October are more than 20 years old...There are probably less people around that have a fresh memory of how those were received. I wasn't even born when Boy was released and was born only shortly after October was released.

I don't really understand why people come to threads to complain about their content. You claim to be annoyed by them, but by complaining, you're only drawing more attention to the thread and to the album.

If people want to discuss a U2 album, ANY U2 album, can't we just let them and leave it alone?

*steps down off soapbox!*

Michael Griffiths said:
If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.
I usually end up posting in them when I see:
* 8 posts or more by people claiming that those of us who do not think of POP as one of U2's greatest albums must be foolishly misled by the media
* 5 posts by people using a POP appreciation thread to bash ATYCLB (what these two albums have to do with each other? I don't know either)

and for some reason there aren't many threads about POP that don't end up in one of those two categories

Salome said:
I usually end up posting in them when I see:
* 8 posts or more by people claiming that those of us who do not think of POP as one of U2's greatest albums must be foolishly misled by the media
* 5 posts by people using a POP appreciation thread to bash ATYCLB (what these two albums have to do with each other? I don't know either)

and for some reason there aren't many threads about POP that don't end up in one of those two categories
That's fair enough, but that's a seperate issue to the complaint of too many Pop threads, in and of itself. You are complaining because Pop threads are condusive to certain opinions about fans and other albums (ie, ATYCLB), and that's different than saying it is flat out wrong to start threads about Pop - which seems to be the popular complaint.

By the way, this thread hasn't ended up in either of those two categories - yet! (Can you feel a self-fulfilling prophecy coming on? ;))

pop and achtung are my fav albums. the tours that came with them are also my favorite, though i have never been to any of those shows.

Zoomerang - you missed ZooTV??? Aw, it was like raw tomato with just the right amount of salt (actually, that's more like Popmart). But, anyway, it was, it was...

1992, Vancouver BC - U2 almost burned down BC Place...It was quite the party.

i'm getting tired of pop threads too. not because i don't love the album, i do; but because i'm so sick of people chiming in and saying how sick of it they are:
335%3C865523232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D883%3D636%3Dxroqdf%3E2323358%3B534%3A3ot1lsi

Well, I'm just about a day or so old on this board and have no knowledge of all the in-fighting, so I'l just open my big fat mouth and give my opinions on Pop.

I like it. Do I think it's their best CD? No. Do I think it's their worst? Maybe -- and I only say that because I think U2's worst CD is far better than most bands' best CDs.

It's got some killer songs -- "Gone," "Mofo," "If God Will Send His Angels," and "Please." "Discotheque" kicks my tushie up and down the block every time I listen to it.

But "Miami" and "The Playboy Mansion" do absolutely nothing for me. Those two I skip routinely. I like the other songs, but they're not ones I put on my "best of" compilation CDs.

I think if you look at it as a whole, it's not a great album. I feel the same way about Zooropa -- some songs I love to pieces, some I like, and one or two that I skip.

Tomato, tomahto. Pop, ATYCLB. Right? :sexywink:

Last edited:
ya michael, but in 92-93 i was about 10 years old. lol, not really ready to go out to a rock and roll show, you know?

wertsie said:

:up: Well said, Michael. I have tried making an "October Appreciation Thread" before and I think probably some of the other neglected albums too, but people just don't seem to have as much to say about those. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because POP was really the first album in U2's recent past that wasn't well-received across the board. I know that there are a lot of fans out there who LOVED POP but also heard all the backlash it received and did not appreciate it.

On the other hand, albums like Boy and October are more than 20 years old...There are probably less people around that have a fresh memory of how those were received. I wasn't even born when Boy was released and was born only shortly after October was released.

I don't really understand why people come to threads to complain about their content. You claim to be annoyed by them, but by complaining, you're only drawing more attention to the thread and to the album.

If people want to discuss a U2 album, ANY U2 album, can't we just let them and leave it alone?

*steps down off soapbox!*

Well said. It does seem like when people try and start threads for other albums that get kinda neglected, not many people reply. If we want to talk more about the other U2 albums, then when someone starts a thread on one of them, reply.

And I agree with what Michael said, too.

Again I say, those of you who don't like "Pop" have your reasons. And that's fine. I personally don't get why you don't like the album, but you don't, so that's okay.

But then why bother replying to a thread that's praising the album-not like anyone who likes the album will agree with you to begin with, so what's the point?

Why not start your own thread about how much you don't like "Pop"? And you can bash the album all you want, and we "Pop" lovers will stay out of it and let you bash. :).

Angela

Michael Griffiths said:
If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.
Michael Griffiths said:

That's fair enough, but that's a seperate issue to the complaint of too many Pop threads, in and of itself. You are complaining because Pop threads are condusive to certain opinions about fans and other albums (ie, ATYCLB), and that's different than saying it is flat out wrong to start threads about Pop - which seems to be the popular complaint.
eh?

Michael Griffiths said:

By the way, this thread hasn't ended up in either of those two categories - yet! (Can you feel a self-fulfilling prophecy coming on? ;))

Fear not- I am here!

It is a bit peculiar that Pop is the only album that EVER gets these 'wow what a great album' threads and that is very weird, especially since in the overall scheme of things Pop was a flop to most fans and the general public and that is pretty much accepted now by all, including the band, except a couple dozen folks here on this board. Those who like it keep saying why can't we have these threads, I asky WHY do you want another one? There have been so many, all just alike, and as everyone tells me they are tired of my redundant anti-Pop comments me and surely others are sick of the gushing, especially since NO OTHER ALBUM EVER gets this type of thread, oh sure they may be other appreciation threads but they never get emotional or controversial or more than a few responses. It is only POP That draws such deep feelings from fans, and really I don't understand why. I am pretty much a pariah on this board for my dislike of the fucking thing. Yet there are other bands I like and dislike one or two albums but it's no big deal to anyone, but if you hate Pop, (and have the balls to say it here) you are some kind of shunned criminal. It'[s not like that with any other album or any other band. I also agree with what Scatteroflight once said, that these threads are all too similar and all by different 'newbies' it makes me wonder if it's not all the same person/people dragging it all up again for entertainment purposes, maybe not always but sometimes. It is also true that almost all Pop threads end up as fights, and non-Poppers get the blame, why don't you just stay out, blah blah, because as Salome stated few can gush over Pop without bashing the people who didn't 'get it' and then bashing ATYCLB which pisses a lot of people off. Maybe this one won't go that way, but every time I see a 'wow what a great album' thread, I know what it is, same old horseshit, sigh, yawn, why? :crazy: I still think Pop is a terrible sounding album that gives me the headache and makes me nauseated, literally, and I will never accept it as 'my' U2. They made a mistake, and they atoned for it, it's over, forget it. If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed.

*rolls up sleeves

GypsyHeartgirl said:

Fear not- I am here!

I still think Pop is a terrible sounding album that gives me the headache and makes me nauseated, literally, and I will never accept it as 'my' U2. They made a mistake, and they atoned for it, it's over, forget it.

If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed.

well, thanks to the fact this board is quite boring, i will be happy to be banned after this comment, if mods so feel that they need to.

gypsy, you are one evil bitch. yes, thats right. no need to be surprised, you know i though this of you a long time ago, and this last post is yet another example of why you are the dumbest 40+ member this message board will ever see. are personal attacks necessary? ofcourse not. its really not good that im doing this, but i really dont like you.

read what you wrote. remember, this is a pop appreciation thread...

"i still think pop is a terrible sounding album"

your voice, your writing style is like oil being poured into my ears and knives being shoved into my eyes.

anyway, you go on to say, and i quote "If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed."

when it comes to english comprehension, what dont you understand? you cannot find a pop thread that you dont reply in and bash. i used to bash atylcb, but you know what, im done with that. its still u2, and afterall, i like u2.

the irony in your words is rediculous. for someone of your age you really should be wiser.

The reason

The reason why i posted this thread, is that i was watching the DVD, and the POP-songs really hit me. I haven't been here enough to see all the POP-threads you have been talking about. I just felt to tell you that U2 makes my day even better... POP made my day better that day. Great album... but so are the others aswell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom