What a great album it is!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2002, 06:40 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Big Grin What a great album it is!!!

I'm talking about POP... what a great album. I was sitting in my favourite chair and watching the DVD - best of... Suddenly i came to this conclusion - MAN, what a great album POP is. I was watching the video of If God..., and POP was really reborn in my eyes; Discotheque, MOFO, Staring, If God, Velvet, Wake up, Please, Gone and dooo yooou feeel loooooved....
What an album..

Old 12-10-2002, 07:29 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

I also like the album very much, but somehow I think many will groan when they see this thread... and I can't fault them for it.

C ya!

Marty (who has lost track how many Pop thread's there have been in the past 2 months)

P.S. I promise this will be my only post about this subject in this thread. I really do

Old 12-10-2002, 07:38 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:24 PM
definately. it was my 1st studio U2 album (my 1st U2 album was the best of 1980-1990) and it totally began my U2 fascination and why i like the band so much. it truly started a new phase in my life. i was never into music, and i cant even remember why i decided to buy the 1st best of, but by god im glad i did.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:24 PM
I absolutely LOVE the new mix of "Gone" on the new Best Of. It's more like the live version.

I think POP was one of those albums that you just needed to hear live...When I heard the guys play those songs live during the Popmart tour, that's what really hooked me.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Pop is a great album and I think it will be vindicated after a few more years.

Everyone's got to remember that ATYCLB wouldn't be the same if there was no POP.

Not my favorite album, but there are some good tunes on there, especially Gone & Please.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Big Grin

I'm really trying very hard to find something positive to say about this album

umm .... it's a really shining disk
Old 12-10-2002, 02:20 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

PoP was the very first U2 album I ever listened to and I was blown away.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:57 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:24 PM
It's funny that so many people say it was under-produced, and that the songs really ony hold up live, because, to me, it is the ultimate head-phone album. There's so much subtlety going on inside the textures of Pop. Listen to 'Wake Up Dead Man' on headphones, and you'll hear all kinds of classical music and background atmosphere. I think it even has opera.

Listen to 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' with headphones, and you'll hear the sound of space being stretched through velvet, and how light sounds when reflected through that very prism. It's a remarkable album for those and many other reasons.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
It's funny that so many people say it was under-produced, and that the songs really ony hold up live, because, to me, it is the ultimate head-phone album. There's so much subtlety going on inside the textures of Pop. Listen to 'Wake Up Dead Man' on headphones, and you'll hear all kinds of classical music and background atmosphere. I think it even has opera.

Listen to 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' with headphones, and you'll hear the sound of space being stretched through velvet, and how light sounds when reflected through that very prism. It's a remarkable album for those and many other reasons.

what the man said.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

ooo, that was nice

I bought Pop last. With all the negative feedback I was fully expecting to hate it and just bought it to complete my collection... except it blew me away. Yum.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:12 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Yep (and the new version of that song is just as awesome as the original...my god...wow).

This is a great album. I can't think of one song off of there that I don't like. All around goodness. .

Angela
Old 12-10-2002, 11:19 PM   #12
The Fly

Don't you people get bored of threads praising POP?

I don't get it. In the last Favorite Album Poll, everyone's favorite albums were Achtung or Joshua Tree, but yet, all we see every week is people admiring the awe inspiring wonder that is POP. Why is that?

Maybe I'll start a weekly "Achtung Baby is the only reason I continue living" thread.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:42 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Seconds
Don't you people get bored of threads praising POP?

I don't get it. In the last Favorite Album Poll, everyone's favorite albums were Achtung or Joshua Tree, but yet, all we see every week is people admiring the awe inspiring wonder that is POP. Why is that?
You just answered your own question: it's because Achtung Baby and JT have already been discussed about 5 trillion times, by not only the media, but also people on this board (myself included) - because they're the most popular. It's the albums that don't get as much recognition that people feel the need to bring into the spotlight - and understandably so.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:21 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

You just answered your own question: it's because Achtung Baby and JT have already been discussed about 5 trillion times, by not only the media, but also people on this board (myself included) - because they're the most popular. It's the albums that don't get as much recognition that people feel the need to bring into the spotlight - and understandably so.
Apparently people are also terribly selective about which "neglected" albums need recognition. I haven't seen many threads on Zooropa, Boy, October, The Passengers; there have been more threads discussing POP than all the above-mentioned albums taken together. In fact, if any U2 album is definitely -NOT- attention-starved on this board, it's POP.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:39 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

Apparently people are also terribly selective about which "neglected" albums need recognition. I haven't seen many threads on Zooropa, Boy, October, The Passengers; there have been more threads discussing POP than all the above-mentioned albums taken together. In fact, if any U2 album is definitely -NOT- attention-starved on this board, it's POP.
I still don't understand why it's a big deal. If people want to post about Pop or Zooropa or even about Edge's pet Chinchilla, what's the problem? They're only discussion topics. It's our choice to read them - or not. I find it interesting that the one way that would get rid unwanted threads is never used - that being to ignore them. If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.

As for the complaint that we don't have enough posts on other albums, I'm all for it. Let's see more posts on Zooropa and Passengers. Zooropa is a fascinating album to discuss, because there are so many things to say and understand about it. I've missed those Zooropa threads (there were actually quite a few at one time - and I suppose there still are, as "Your favouritie song from Zooropa" is one of them). Let's start another one though! I haven't seen a good Boy thread in a while, either.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:09 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I still don't understand why it's a big deal. If people want to post about Pop or Zooropa or even about Edge's pet Chinchilla, what's the problem? They're only discussion topics. It's our choice to read them - or not. I find it interesting that the one way that would get rid unwanted threads is never used - that being to ignore them. If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.

As for the complaint that we don't have enough posts on other albums, I'm all for it. Let's see more posts on Zooropa and Passengers. Zooropa is a fascinating album to discuss, because there are so many things to say and understand about it. I've missed those Zooropa threads (there were actually quite a few at one time - and I suppose there still are, as "Your favouritie song from Zooropa" is one of them). Let's start another one though! I haven't seen a good Boy thread in a while, either.
Well said, Michael. I have tried making an "October Appreciation Thread" before and I think probably some of the other neglected albums too, but people just don't seem to have as much to say about those. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because POP was really the first album in U2's recent past that wasn't well-received across the board. I know that there are a lot of fans out there who LOVED POP but also heard all the backlash it received and did not appreciate it.

On the other hand, albums like Boy and October are more than 20 years old...There are probably less people around that have a fresh memory of how those were received. I wasn't even born when Boy was released and was born only shortly after October was released.

I don't really understand why people come to threads to complain about their content. You claim to be annoyed by them, but by complaining, you're only drawing more attention to the thread and to the album.

If people want to discuss a U2 album, ANY U2 album, can't we just let them and leave it alone?

*steps down off soapbox!*
Old 12-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #17
you are what you is

Quote:
If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.
I usually end up posting in them when I see:
* 8 posts or more by people claiming that those of us who do not think of POP as one of U2's greatest albums must be foolishly misled by the media
* 5 posts by people using a POP appreciation thread to bash ATYCLB (what these two albums have to do with each other? I don't know either)

and for some reason there aren't many threads about POP that don't end up in one of those two categories
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-11-2002, 11:47 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I usually end up posting in them when I see:
* 8 posts or more by people claiming that those of us who do not think of POP as one of U2's greatest albums must be foolishly misled by the media
* 5 posts by people using a POP appreciation thread to bash ATYCLB (what these two albums have to do with each other? I don't know either)

and for some reason there aren't many threads about POP that don't end up in one of those two categories
That's fair enough, but that's a seperate issue to the complaint of too many Pop threads, in and of itself. You are complaining because Pop threads are condusive to certain opinions about fans and other albums (ie, ATYCLB), and that's different than saying it is flat out wrong to start threads about Pop - which seems to be the popular complaint.

By the way, this thread hasn't ended up in either of those two categories - yet! (Can you feel a self-fulfilling prophecy coming on? )
Old 12-11-2002, 01:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

By the way, this thread hasn't ended up in either of those two categories - yet!
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:17 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

pop and achtung are my fav albums. the tours that came with them are also my favorite, though i have never been to any of those shows.