What a fantastic album....so underrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Listening to 'Pop' right now. I know there have been discussions about this album before. But I just wanted to convey what I felt. It is such a phenomenal album in parts!! It really is a collection of songs that grows on you. I have divided the album into 3 parts:

AWESOME - Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, Miami

ALLRIGHT - Playboy Mansion, If You Wear..., Please, Wake Up Dead Man

AWFUL - If God Will Send His Angels

Okay, the distribution isn't that even. But I'm not one who considers the lyrics to be the most important part of a song. I like to evaluate a song in an overall way.

That's what I think anyway.

i agree... kinda

i agree with you, in some aspects. Yes, "Pop" is a hidden gem in the U2 catalog.... not a big seller (as in like JT, AB, ATYCLB), but just as good music (for the type of genre). U2 goes into many different styles, and a lot of the songs on here are experimental, such as "Mofo" and "Miami". Then there are the classic U2 songs like "Gone", "Staring at the Sun", and "Please", songs that *could* appear on another album (in other words, a song that you can recognize as U2).

I can see why people don't like it though; some people don't like dance music from U2 ("Discoteque", "Mofo", "Last Night On Earth"), some people just don't like the music, ("IGWSHA", "IYWTVD", "Miami"), and some people just like other albums better, that would diminish the ranking of "POP".

In my opinion, as an ALBUM, it's their third best (behind AB and UF, respectly). JT, as an album, is not as strong in my opinion. BUT, as for individual songs, I think JT is SLIGHTLY better. I just like the way "POP" flows, although it's "incomplete" (a pretty damn good "incomplete" album).

And let's face it : The critics will always hate this one, though it's among (half) of the fans favorites. That's why I love U2; they make music for everyone. People can't say they dislike EVERY U2 song, because that means they don't like music (or they might not like music.... hmmm, that's a different story).

:lol: I thought this was going to be about October or something. Oh, well. POP rocks.

I want to break it down song-by-song, just because I never really had before.

Discotheque-I have heard many say that it's their least favorite song off the album, but I love it. Yeah, I can understand why the video turned people off :lol: but it's just so rockin'!

Do You Feel Loved?-I never really appreciated this song much until recently, but it's a very sexy song, I think, and very enjoyable.

Mofo-I've always loved this one. Especially live! Wow...That's all I can say!

If God Will Send His Angels-I don't really have much to say about this one, actually. It reminds me of Christmas because of the Christmas tree line.

Staring at the Sun-GREAT song! Its message reminds me of "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House.

Last Night on Earth-It was much better live, imho. I used to dislike the single version, but now even that is growing on me.

Gone-I'm not comin' down...Many would call this the "gem" of POP, and I don't know if it's my favorite song off the album, but it's up there!

Miami-I don't know why people don't like this song. It's just one of those that's really fun to listen to.

The Playboy Mansion-I just love the message here.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress-Very soulful, incredible live...an all-around sexy song.

Please-While the album and single versions are powerful, hearing this one live often brings me to tears. It's amazing!

Wake up Dead Man-This song always makes me feel better when I'm down in the dumps. It's like they're saying, "Yeah, we've all been there" and that's such a comfort. What a way to close a complete masterpiece!

"Pop" is totally a grower. I really had no interest in buying it because I had an iffy vibe from the singles when they first came out but I started to come around on "Staring At the Sun" when I heard it live.
I bought the album and spent a couple of days listening to it over and over and really started to dig it. Now I think it beats out "Unforgettable Fire," an album that has been praised endlessly.
This has been said a lot before, but U2 has this gift (and maybe sometimes curse) of making albums that do evolve, that do change, that do become better over time. I had the exact same experience with "October" but after a couple of listens I couldn't believe I lived so long without this album.

Okay, If God Will Send... is not that bad. I take back what I said. It just has a boring sound to it and I often skip it. But it's allright, not awful. Pop is definately an album that gets exponentially better on repeated listens.

OHH NOOOOOO haven't we had enough Pop threads lately? Don't they always turn to fights? Haven't we already rehashed about everything that can be said about a 5 year old CD? Can't we please discuss something else? :scream: :yawn:

Might as well change the name of this forum to Pop:tsk: Seems like that's about all it is everytime I check :banghead: :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Desire4Bono said:
OHH NOOOOOO haven't we had enough Pop threads lately? Don't they always turn to fights? Haven't we already rehashed about everything that can be said about a 5 year old CD? Can't we please discuss something else? :scream: :yawn:

Might as well change the name of this forum to Pop:tsk: Seems like that's about all it is everytime I check :banghead: :banghead::banghead:

This thread is okay though. It's not about trying to piss people off! :happy:

POP is definitely U2's gem

For countless years, I have been at the forefront in other U2 forums at dissing POP. It is just when I joined this forum and reading all the POP threads and then re-listening to POP where I got to see the light. I think this forum should have more and more POP threads for all the POP bashers to be converted just like me. Right now, I think POP is right up there with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Because of my unbelievable conversion to loving POP, I was even dubbed "The King Of POP" and rightfully so!

POP is U2 as men. POP is U2 will balls. ATYCLB was just U2-lite, or diet-U2 which was sweetened with so much eQual it will make your teeth rot. POP is heavy U2, U2 on steriods, U2 with guts. ATYCLB sold 4 million in the USA, and POP sold only 1.3 million. Can you just imagine what those 2.7 million Americans are missing out on?

If I were U2, I would package their new albums with POP at no extra charge, while I would jack up concert ticket prices by $2 (which is probably the cost to make a CD) and include a complimentary copy of POP. U2-internet forums should have a mandatory POP-thread every 3 days just in case new fans join and won't know what they are missing out on.

You all don't know what you're missing out on. There is trememdous beauty in that POP album.

"How could beauty be so kind to an ordinary guy?" ---U2 in Babyface

Cheers,

J

I love POP to death it is the greatest alblum imo.

I was also converted but not because i listened to it and thought it was bad but did what most did listened to it once and said this sucks!

Song by Song:

Discoteque- Not my fav but really is rocking and gets you going!

Do you feel loved?- Who ever said sexy is dead on.

Mofo- live its amazing and the beat and the rockingness going on is wicked.

If God will send his angels- Why is everyone bashing this, its one of my fav songs ever, its the first thing i listen to when i turn on my comp. It is so erie and slow it draggs you in.

Staring at the sun- well one of the only songs all U2 fans like, i think one of their best.

Last night on earth- that beginging strumong of the guitar always gets me going!!!

Gone- Love it Love it Love it

Miami- not my fav but still listenable!

The playboy mansion- I used to hate it but its so creepy and cool!

If you wear that velvet dress- i love slow soulful U2 songs and this is one of their best it just makes you want to hear the next lyric

Wake up dead man- This is my fav U2 song ever. This song has helped me through so many hard times and will be played at my funeral.

To all those people who say WUDM helped you through hard times or whatever. Are you serious? good god! Whenever I'm feeling down and I listen to that song.. I just sink lower and sometimes get reeeally sad-like.

That said, it is definately one of my favourite U2 songs of all time. It's so emotionally affecting, just not in a positive way. lol. I mean some sad songs make you feel all awww. this one is so dark and haunting and depressing.

Maybe it'll help me through some hard times yet.. but all i can see it doing is making me feel worse. then again sometimes getting some emotional release is a good thing.

Wake Up Dead Man

SkeeK said:
To all those people who say WUDM helped you through hard times or whatever. Are you serious? good god! Whenever I'm feeling down and I listen to that song.. I just sink lower and sometimes get reeeally sad-like.

That said, it is definately one of my favourite U2 songs of all time. It's so emotionally affecting, just not in a positive way. lol. I mean some sad songs make you feel all awww. this one is so dark and haunting and depressing.

Maybe it'll help me through some hard times yet.. but all i can see it doing is making me feel worse. then again sometimes getting some emotional release is a good thing.

I agree, Wake Up Dead Man is one of, if not THE, greatest U2 song of all-time. Anyone else agree?

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

bonoman said:
I love POP to death it is the greatest alblum imo.

I was also converted but not because i listened to it and thought it was bad but did what most did listened to it once and said this sucks!

Song by Song:

It's great to know we are on the same boat as being converts.

I was deeply offended and hurt by the fact that U2 decided to remix the songs in POP for the Best Of, I just thought the songs as they appeared in POP were already perfect.

But then again, the U2 now is no longer the U2 of POP. They are the U2 of artistic compromise and commercial aspirations characterized by the shallow but catchy, radio-friendly-designed ATYCLB. U2 have no more balls. I wouldn't be surprised if the POP remixes in the Best Of are "no-balls" remixes. After POP, U2 have gone over-the-hill and way from the top of their game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the remixes in the Best Of 1990-2000 are designed to be more commercially appealing while compromising artistic integrity. Then again, I can always spin my POP cd.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Discussing POP ...

Desire4Bono said:

We can never have enough POP threads. The more POP threads the better. POP threads are not designed to cause POP fights. POP threads are designed to serve as eye-openers for those who are too naive to see the inner beauty of POP. People like me who took so long before I could see the inner beauty of POP. The fact that POP is so well talked about is just proof as to how POPular POP is among the U2 fans. Can people help it if POP is so great that it merits discussion every so often? POP is such a profound and deep album that it has so many layers to it. Every day new meanings and new interpretations come up, and people just like to share these things with others. Hence a lot of POP threads. You don't see any Boy threads because that album isn't deep.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: i agree... kinda

big girls r def the best said:
i agree with you, in some aspects. Yes, "Pop" is a hidden gem in the U2 catalog.... not a big seller (as in like JT, AB, ATYCLB), but just as good music (for the type of genre).

In my opinion, as an ALBUM, it's their third best (behind AB and UF, respectly). JT, as an album, is not as strong in my opinion. BUT, as for individual songs, I think JT is SLIGHTLY better. I just like the way "POP" flows, although it's "incomplete" (a pretty damn good "incomplete" album).

Precisely why this thread was started. POP is greatly underrated. When you say it has "just as good music" as JT, AB, and ATYCLB, you are tremendously underrating POP. You are underestimating the power of POP over all those albums.

POP is *only* U2's "third best" to you? Yet more empirical evidence why POP is greatly underrated. I should commend the person for starting this thread. It is about time people realize POP is greatly underrated. It is about time people give POP a spin again and re-evaluate how it stands.

Cheers,

J

unnamed_streets said:

AWFUL - If God Will Send His Angels

That's what I think anyway.

Obviously you haven't listened to this song eough to realize that it really isn't awful. 95% of U2's songs aren't even close to the musicality, artistry and relevance of this song. Give it another listen and you might appreciate it.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Skeek the way i look at WUDM is like if i weere to die or a friend of mine was to die that song says to me that i'm looking for an answer but Jesus and God doesnt give answers. You have to find those answers yourself. When something goes wrong most people ask Jesus why has this happened to person X, and say things like they were such a good person, why does it always happen to the good people. We are all looking for answers but we must trust in Jesus and and the words of God and that things happen for a reason. Listening for the words of God in everything, like when he says Listen.....Listen....Listen....

This will be the deepest my religous beleifs will ever get, excuse me if i make you feel uncomfortable

Yes I agree POP is the greatest U2 album of all time and better than any album by any other band and I happen to know for a fact that 99% of all Interferencers feel this way.

Scatteroflight and Salome especially love this album. They'll chime in soon and sing their praises about POP!

seen the light

I listened to Pop yesterday for the first time in about a year in so and then it really hit me: This is an amazing album. It has got some fabulous tunes and especially after my personal disappointment with ATYCLB I really realised how incredible every song is (With a few exceptions). Here are my few comments

Absolutely awesome songs:

Discotheque, Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, If Your Wear That Velvet Dress, Please, Wake Up Dead Man :heart: :heart: (These songs are the most underrated ever :rant: though they are far better than most songs on ATYCLB :tsk: )

Good songs

Do You Feel Loved, Gone, The Playboy Mansion

Bad song(s):

Surprise: Miami

I never understood why ATYCLB was such a commerciel success while Pop wasn't. :confused: :scratch: It just sometimes make me sick how absolutely overrated ATYCLB is and how underrated Pop is...:banghead:

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
Yes I agree POP is the greatest U2 album of all time and better than any album by any other band and I happen to know for a fact that 99% of all Interferencers feel this way.

Scatteroflight and Salome especially love this album. They'll chime in soon and sing their praises about POP!

Your facts are obviously wrong. In a recent poll that pitted ATYCLB and POP, there were at least 50 who voted for ATYCLB. So for 99% of all people in Interference to like POP, the total membership of Interference should be at least 5,000, which I highly doubt.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: seen the light

elevation said:

Bad song(s):

Surprise: Miami

I never understood why ATYCLB was such a commerciel success while Pop wasn't. :confused: :scratch: It just sometimes make me sick how absolutely overrated ATYCLB is and how underrated Pop is...:banghead:

Studies have shown that more people are average and below average in IQ (intelligence quotient). These people just cannot understand POP.

Now among the few who understand POP, there are some geniuses who understand Miami and think it is a rocking song. Obviously you aren't one of these geniuses.

Maybe try giving Miami a listen again, you just might get it this time. POP should be loved in its totality.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: seen the light

jick said:

Now among the few who understand POP, there are some geniuses who understand Miami and think it is a rocking song. Obviously you aren't one of these geniuses.

Thank you that really warmed my heart :eyebrow: Who do you think you are? Just annoying?

Maybe try giving Miami a listen again, you just might get it this time. POP should be loved in its totality.

Why? Says who? I adore POP, nut not Miami. So what? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: seen the light

elevation said:

Thank you that really warmed my heart :eyebrow: Who do you think you are? Just annoying?

Why? Says who? I adore POP, nut not Miami. So what? :rolleyes:

Hey hey hey, let's handle this in a more civil manner because we are both POP-loving creatures who are inherently superior to those who don't quite get POP. All I am trying to say is that maybe you can try to give Miami another listen, you just might like it. If you don't then it's really not my loss.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Why I love Pop Chapter 19

I could and have written forever about why I love Pop. I'd rank AB & JT above it every time, but after that it's a dog fight for positions- Pop holds its own. I think AB & JT are *that good* to be ranked in top 1&2, I don't think Pop is *that bad* that it's ranked after it, if u know what I mean.

Anyway some of my favorite lyrics come from Pop. The music is another factor entirely- purely rockin and abrasive and in your face attitude, guts and grime. I love it.

But if you don't even like the SOUND- read the lyrics. Read the pain in them, read the confusion, the inaction, the blame. Now as I'm going over this and after studying more of JT lyrics i'm getting scared that Bono's really strayed from this and I pray it's not permanant or for the wrong reasons!!

MOFO
For bono to make such an addmission this is a song that could sum him up more than any other.. raw and rough!! Looking for to fill that God shaped hole

IGWSHA
*ouch* OUCH! what a song- much more bitter than WUDM imo!! In WakeUP at least he's giving Jesus the benifit of the doubt, to be sleeping. Here: Would he even pick up if he could. Then u got the living room scene with the fab line (really, in ATYCLB bono's lines have been thinning..) Does love...light up your Christmas Tree

SATS
good glory what don't I like about this song?? He's still wrought with spiritual confusion- will God listen? Intransigence IS all around in this song/album.. self doubt I'm nearly good but there's somethin' missin and
the gorgouesss imagery opening the song: Summer stretching on the grass :sick:

GONE
Smashing, simply smashing. You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover then you discover what you thought was freedom was just greed whoaa! can't you see the story he's telling here? It ain't pretty- it ain't all pop and disco and "bubble gum" - HE knows what it is, but he still wants some....

VELVET DRESS
I love everything about this song. I love every single lyric, not ONE do i have a problem with, not one word. I love love the bass thank you very much Adam.. it's damn sexy, damn yearning, damn scary.. :bono:

Please
Up there with the Best LIVE moments. Up there with the Best U2 video ever! another one with superior lyrics. Love is hard, and love is tough. But love is not what you're thinking of. OUCH. wow. The first stanza is stunning.

WUDM
Possibly the best "cataloguing" U2's ever done after Numb, which wins perhaps on length. Listen to your words they'll tell you what to do
Listen over the rhythm that's confusing you
Listen to the reed in the saxophone
Listen over the hum of the radio
Listen over sounds of blades in rotation
Listen through the traffic and circulation
Listen as hope and peace try to rhyme
Listen over marching bands playing out their time

DYFL
I freaking love love loveeeeee this song!!
I love the SOUNDS of it, I love thegrunting in it, I love the smell and taste and shoving sense of it. terrific song. Top 10. Take the colours of my imagination
Take the scent hanging in the air
Take this tangle of a conversation
And turn it into your own prayer
who hasn't felt this before???? :no: And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

ok i'm done for now. :tongue: :heart:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: seen the light

jick said:

Hey hey hey, let's handle this in a more civil manner because we are both POP-loving creatures who are inherently superior to those who don't quite get POP. All I am trying to say is that maybe you can try to give Miami another listen, you just might like it. If you don't then it's really not my loss.

Well, guess I misinterpreted you. Those things might happen when one is not able to sense the tone of the voice of the other. Couldn't you have made a little :) to lighten things up? Nevermind, this isn't worth spending time on....so...

Conklusion: We :love: POP :dance: (...and pssst...don't really understand why other fans don't get it :coocoo: .......:) )

SkeeK said:

Yep, I'm totally serious! It shows you can feel like you're in a bottomless pit but come out of it okay, I think! :happy:

wertsie said:
:scratch: I'm still wondering how jick all of a sudden did a 180 on this whole POP thing...

I was wondering why he was making so many sarcastic comments against people who didn't like Pop trying to pretend he was acting superior.

If this was a joke.. :tsk: :barf:

Back
Top Bottom