What 1 u2 song started it for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa was my first U2 album..and i guess the song too hooked me in:drool:

beautiful day/ elevation

but what really hooked me was seeing the elevation albany 6/2/01 show. followed by the 6/3/01 show in hartford. then it was all over.

Last edited:
I don't remember what song it was, specifically. I vaguely remember seeing videos for New Year's Day and Pride. My cousins, who were from a bigger city and therefore had exposure to different music before I did, played U2 and REM, and The Cure and Depeche Mode for me, got me into music like that.

I think then one of those cousins got me The Unforgettable Fire on cassette for me at Christmas, and I remember having The Joshua Tree at some point, and liking U2 well enough.

Then, when Rattle and Hum came out? Dang, man. That was it. I don't know if it was a specific song that did it, or if I'd already been teetering on the brink of obsession or what, but that was it for me. I was in for good. :wink:

Hearing The Fly started it all. I was like WOW what’s that song is. It's my favorite song. :wink: But Until The End of The World is starting to creeping into top spot. :ohmy:

live version ISHFWILF on Rattle and Hum, my dad loved this version and had it on constant rotation in the car. I loved it and listened to the whole album and fell in love with U2 from that moment, back in 1993.

One...

(Yeah, I'm younger than most of you--I was 11 when it came out)

But then I bought Achtung Baby and it was the rest of the album that really solidified it.

Oddly enough, The Sweetest Thing. I posted the story about it in a thread a good while back, and I don't feel like telling it again.

Probably... Even Better Than The Real Thing w/ video! :drool:

But I have to say, all those songs on TV in 91/92 (except for The Fly which I heard much later, for some reason... :huh: ) such as Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better & Who's Gonna Ride all pulled me in!

Even Better Than The Real Thing. Performed live with Garth at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards.

AndrewT said:
Lemon hooked me, and Stay reeled me in.

I think I was 11 or 12 when I heard Beautfiul Day and Stuck for the first time and they hooked me, but it was Vertigo that reeled me in. Then I bought the 80/90 best of and wow.

Sue DeNym said:
I saw the New Years Day video on MTV in 1983, and was instantly hooked on U2.

(When, oh when are they going to release Best of 1980-1990 Videos on DVD?!?!) :scream:

I would sleep outside a shop to get my hands on that. :drool:

I heard this song on the radio in 1983( I was 8 yrs old.). Never knew much besides the chorus, never knew it was U2 till much later. Only reason I bought the War cd . . . 'Two hearts beat as one'.

xtal said:
Even Better Than The Real Thing. Performed live with Garth at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards.

wow - I had forgotten about that - I remember thinking that u2 was the coolest thing in the world
still do as a matter of fact:wink:

Ive liked them since Beautiful Day, Stuck and Walk On, but I wasnt really a fan then, until I got their greatest hits album.....

Back
Top Bottom