"We've closed the circle" - Bono.... well, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
In the latest edition of Rollingstone magazine, as you all know by now, Bono said this: "We've closed the circle," he says, beaming, "back to our first album" -- 1980's echo-drenched thriller, Boy. "Maybe we should have called this one Man."

Since Bono feels like they have closed the circle and that they are going to keep making records: "I think there will be a record in 2006. Because we're on it now." I wonder, do you think on the next record they are going to start exploring again and go for different sounds like they did on the 90's or will they keep writing like "classic U2" as they've been doing on the last 2 records?

Personally I think the boys are too smart to stop looking for new sounds and ideas and would never fall into the trap of nostalgia. So I think the next record will be more experimental than HTDAAB but won’t loose too much of the classic Edge sound that he seems to have rediscovered. If that happens than that’s just great as long the songs are good and that they achieve what they want. And if they do end up doing that big and direct rock record that HTDAAB was supposed to be than that’s even better!! :evil: But I would love if they went after something completely different like they did on AB, Zooropa and POP (but at the same time never leaving the rock n’ roll behind!), that would make them even more relevant and an even more respectable band!

Well in the same interview he said they didn't want to go on and on, cheating the fans by just pumping out U2-by-numbers stuff (I'm not referring to the last 2 albums BTW) so that indicates they will continue to do music while they feel they can add something to the rock and roll scene..so I would bet on the next album(s) being a bit different from ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Well in the same interview he said they didn't want to go on and on, cheating the fans by just pumping out U2-by-numbers stuff (I'm not referring to the last 2 albums BTW) so that indicates they will continue to do music while they feel they can add something to the rock and roll scene..so I would bet on the next album(s) being a bit different from ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

I hope so,,,,

By the way BrazilianFly, I laugh out loud every time I read your signature. It's just so true, and so funny. :lol:

U2 works in 3's:
  • Boy, October and War[*]UF, JT and R&H[*]AB, Zooropa and Pop
If this pattern continues, we have ATYCLB and HTDAAB, meaning we'll get one more album with this overall sound. If U2 release an album in 2006, as Bono stated ( :lmao: ), then I expect it will sound similar in style to ATYCLB and HTDAAB merely because U2 wouldn't have had time to "reinvent" themselves again (due to touring all of 2005). We'll most likely see a lot of tracks that were solid, but not included on either album for whatever reason. This album might be an EP or a "Zooropa" type release (i.e., not meant to be a full out album, at least initially).

Therefore, if U2 do "dream it all up again", I wouldn't expect it until the album after the next one, assuming, of course, that this 2006 release becomes reality. If there's another 4 year drought between albums, then I would expect a different style (not that I dislike the current style at all - HTDAAB is fantastic! :yes: ).

If I were them, and I knew that time was running out as far as producing new music, I'd be writing and recording my ass off. I'd pull out all of the stops and release a double album...

Hey, it could happen!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom