"We've closed the circle" - Bono.... well, now what? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:08 AM
"We've closed the circle" - Bono.... well, now what?

In the latest edition of Rollingstone magazine, as you all know by now, Bono said this: "We've closed the circle," he says, beaming, "back to our first album" -- 1980's echo-drenched thriller, Boy. "Maybe we should have called this one Man."

Since Bono feels like they have closed the circle and that they are going to keep making records: "I think there will be a record in 2006. Because we're on it now." I wonder, do you think on the next record they are going to start exploring again and go for different sounds like they did on the 90's or will they keep writing like "classic U2" as they've been doing on the last 2 records?

Personally I think the boys are too smart to stop looking for new sounds and ideas and would never fall into the trap of nostalgia. So I think the next record will be more experimental than HTDAAB but won’t loose too much of the classic Edge sound that he seems to have rediscovered. If that happens than that’s just great as long the songs are good and that they achieve what they want. And if they do end up doing that big and direct rock record that HTDAAB was supposed to be than that’s even better!! But I would love if they went after something completely different like they did on AB, Zooropa and POP (but at the same time never leaving the rock n’ roll behind!), that would make them even more relevant and an even more respectable band!

Old 12-18-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Well in the same interview he said they didn't want to go on and on, cheating the fans by just pumping out U2-by-numbers stuff (I'm not referring to the last 2 albums BTW) so that indicates they will continue to do music while they feel they can add something to the rock and roll scene..so I would bet on the next album(s) being a bit different from ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Well in the same interview he said they didn't want to go on and on, cheating the fans by just pumping out U2-by-numbers stuff (I'm not referring to the last 2 albums BTW) so that indicates they will continue to do music while they feel they can add something to the rock and roll scene..so I would bet on the next album(s) being a bit different from ATYCLB & HTDAAB.
I hope so,,,,
Old 12-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 02:08 AM
DREAM IT ALL AGAIN
Old 12-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
DREAM IT ALL AGAIN
Old 12-18-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
DREAM IT ALL AGAIN

Old 12-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

By the way BrazilianFly, I laugh out loud every time I read your signature. It's just so true, and so funny.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
By the way BrazilianFly, I laugh out loud every time I read your signature. It's just so true, and so funny.
Cool, thanks! I'm glad someone notices it!
Old 12-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Maybe they'll surprise us and put an album out pretty quickly after this one a la Zooropa.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 11:08 PM
Didn't they also talk/joke about calling Achtung Baby "Man" and putting a naked picture of Adam on the album cover?

Bono needs to come up with some new lines.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:02 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:08 PM
U2 works in 3's:
  • Boy, October and War
  • UF, JT and R&H
  • AB, Zooropa and Pop
If this pattern continues, we have ATYCLB and HTDAAB, meaning we'll get one more album with this overall sound. If U2 release an album in 2006, as Bono stated ( ), then I expect it will sound similar in style to ATYCLB and HTDAAB merely because U2 wouldn't have had time to "reinvent" themselves again (due to touring all of 2005). We'll most likely see a lot of tracks that were solid, but not included on either album for whatever reason. This album might be an EP or a "Zooropa" type release (i.e., not meant to be a full out album, at least initially).

Therefore, if U2 do "dream it all up again", I wouldn't expect it until the album after the next one, assuming, of course, that this 2006 release becomes reality. If there's another 4 year drought between albums, then I would expect a different style (not that I dislike the current style at all - HTDAAB is fantastic! ).
Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Very intersting post doctorwho....
Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #13
War Child

If I were them, and I knew that time was running out as far as producing new music, I'd be writing and recording my ass off. I'd pull out all of the stops and release a double album...

Hey, it could happen!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 05:08 AM
i highly doubt there will be a new album in 2006. at U2's pace, 2008 is more realistic.