Were U2 pro IRA? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Were U2 pro IRA?

A guy on a Moby message board seems to think they were. Were they?

Click here to read the thread about Political Bands, and U2.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Wow this incredible. U2, to my knowledge have never supported the IRA. On the contrary 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' was always introduced as a song that was NOT pro IRA, or not a rebel song. The IRA being the rebels. People get things confused obviously.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
Wow this incredible. U2, to my knowledge have never supported the IRA. On the contrary 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' was always introduced as a song that was NOT pro IRA, or not a rebel song. The IRA being the rebels. People get things confused obviously.
Yeah, I didn't think they were either.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:00 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Isn't it obvious in Bono's "Fuck the revolution speech" in Rattle and Hum? I think Bono has said he is a republican at heart, but would like to see a united Ireland by peaceful means.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:46 PM
i do beleive he said that, what a bomb.

that guy needs some sense beat into him...uh, not like i advocate violence...

i'm kind of glad i don't post there--i'd probably be forced to hate people after a while
Old 02-04-2003, 07:31 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i do beleive he said that, what a bomb.

that guy needs some sense beat into him...uh, not like i advocate violence...

i'm kind of glad i don't post there--i'd probably be forced to hate people after a while
Yeah, I could see how that could happen. I mean just now in that same thread someone is saying The Clash were "manufactured like any boy band today." I think this person is just misinformed, or is confusing The Clash with The Sex Pistols.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

yeah, especially cos i'm a really big clash fan as well...

i'd want to kick some heads in...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 PM
I set the Moby board straight.

Melon
Old 02-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ARGH! I can't believe people are so stupid. That's not the first time I've heard someone claim U2 supported the IRA. It blows my mind how anyone could be so ignorant. It seems to me anyone that even knew a little bit about U2 would be able to figure out they would never support terrorists.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I set the Moby board straight.

Melon
googd, good, good. judging from other posts i assume you handled it intelligently and made them sound stupid. glad i refrained from trying cos i would have made an ass out of myself. and we don't want an ass representing u2 fans, now do we?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Damn, that's stupid. U2 supporting the IRA?? I remember running into some anti-U2 nut on an undisclosed mailing list, and the idiot thought they'd put out three albums. Some people.......opinions are cool but some people aren't.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #12
Refugee

yeah I think any band thats politically aware and comes from Rep of Ireland, like U2, are always tainted with the pro IRA tag. Its very obvious to anybody who is a fan of U2 that they have never supported the IRA, as pointed out above, the Rattle & Hum Sunday Bloody Sunday speech where Bono says Fuck the Revolution and goes on about all the Irish Americans that come up to him talking about the glory of the revolution back home, you can see that he really means what he says. Whoever says U2 are pro IRA talks out of their arse!!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
yeah I think any band thats politically aware and comes from Rep of Ireland, like U2, are always tainted with the pro IRA tag. Its very obvious to anybody who is a fan of U2 that they have never supported the IRA, as pointed out above, the Rattle & Hum Sunday Bloody Sunday speech where Bono says Fuck the Revolution and goes on about all the Irish Americans that come up to him talking about the glory of the revolution back home, you can see that he really means what he says. Whoever says U2 are pro IRA talks out of their arse!!!!!

So true..........
Old 02-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeah...how can anyone even think that?

Perhaps we should take that person who thought that, sit them down, and make them listen to Bono's speech from that "Sunday Bloody Sunday" performance.

I don't know if I've ever seen Bono as angry as he was that night before. He was pretty pissed off when he made that speech (and rightfully so).

U2 being pro-IRA would be like Charlton Heston being pro-gun control.

Angela
Old 02-07-2003, 01:59 AM   #15
Refugee

Ok why is everyone getting so upset over this. Not everyone are U2 nuts. Not everyone knows exactly what Bono has said over the past 20 years.

I have many friends from NI and the south that think SBS is a rebel song. Any Irish person that hears a the title Sunday Bloody Sunday is going to be inclined to think it is a rebel song. Also the speech Bono does in rattle and hum really in my opinion doesnt only focus on the IRA. If anyone in this thread actually knows all there is to know about the troubles in Ireland you would know there have been more catholics killed then prodestents more republicans then loyalists. I dont excuse the IRA but it really pisses me off that everyone likes to focus on them alone and doesnt like to check the facts about the UDA UDF and the other loyalist terror groups. All we (we being NA) see are IRA attacks when in actuallity there are just as many instinces of attacks on Catholics. If you would like to look into the subject with a great easy read look at Behind the Mask: IRA and Sinn Fein.

PS: Iwasbored...love the pic of Gerry...best movie ever!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 AM
LOL, I just came back from viewing the Moby board. Whatever you think of him, that guy has an excellent site. I don't post there by the way, and couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing. The first post about No Logo was a carbon copy of something Nicky Wire told Q...ahh, Manic Street Preachers. My guilty pleasure.

What have you learned? Nothing. And no-one's going to post anymore in this thread because I have just posted. Aha!

Nah, seriously, I think it's the Ireland tag. If it was the Corrs, B*Witched or Ash, of course we won't think they're IRA-supporting, because they aren't singing about politics. But U2 are, and I think they felt the need to clarify that they did not support the IRA with the 'this is not a rebel song' speech in the 80s.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:18 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Being Irish I can confirm without doubt that U2 were 100% ANTI-I.R.A.

For proof check out the 2001-10-24 New York City boot. "For the first time, I salute the people of the I.R.A." (note the 'first' and note that this was because on the same day the I.R.A. agreed to a disarmerment policy, which Bono was commending because of their bravery to embrace peace).
Old 02-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #18
Acrobat

Hey Bonoman,
You ever read "Biting at the Grave" about Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers? Its an excellent book about the hunger strikers and even talks to their families and stuff.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Ok why is everyone getting so upset over this. Not everyone are U2 nuts. Not everyone knows exactly what Bono has said over the past 20 years.

I have many friends from NI and the south that think SBS is a rebel song. Any Irish person that hears a the title Sunday Bloody Sunday is going to be inclined to think it is a rebel song. Also the speech Bono does in rattle and hum really in my opinion doesnt only focus on the IRA. If anyone in this thread actually knows all there is to know about the troubles in Ireland you would know there have been more catholics killed then prodestents more republicans then loyalists. I dont excuse the IRA but it really pisses me off that everyone likes to focus on them alone and doesnt like to check the facts about the UDA UDF and the other loyalist terror groups. All we (we being NA) see are IRA attacks when in actuallity there are just as many instinces of attacks on Catholics. If you would like to look into the subject with a great easy read look at Behind the Mask: IRA and Sinn Fein.

PS: Iwasbored..

.love the pic of Gerry...best movie ever!

Uhhh not everyone here thinks its a rebel song

I think U2 are anti terrorism full stop.

My mum and dad are just talking about IRA movies :random:

But I agree why is everyone getting so worked up about what someone said

Theres a great book about everyone who was killed during the troubles its huge but very interesting and I dont know the name of it
Old 02-09-2003, 04:46 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

PS: Iwasbored...love the pic of Gerry...best movie ever!
I also get sick of people being so narrow minded to think the IRA are the bad guys and everyone else is the good guys..

My opinion is people shouldn't make judgements unless they have lived and experienced life in the 6 counties....i cannot bring myself to support killing innocent people...but the IRA were needed by the Catholic community...