Were the last 2 albums too contrived?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raydetect

The Fly
The last 2 albums were too commercial. I'm so sick of Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, and most songs on HTDAAB.

Give me;

With or Without You
One Tree Hill
Unforgettable Fire
Like A Song
Heartland
All I want Is You
Bad
I Will Follow
Out Of Control
So Cruel
Gone
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
God Part II

Maybe I've just heard the newer songs too much over the last few years. But I hope they put together the next album rather quickly. The last 2 seemed too polished. They need to just get together and jam.

Dude... don't be upset if people flame the hell out of your thread! There will be some people like me though.. who will agree somewhat with a heavy heart.

Thanks Zootlesque for your encouragement. And I just remembered to add Zooropa to my list;
Lemon
First Time
Stay
Zooropa
The First Time

Raydetect said:

With or Without You
One Tree Hill
Unforgettable Fire
Like A Song
Heartland
All I want Is You
Bad
I Will Follow
Out Of Control
So Cruel
Gone
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
God Part II

:drool:

(I agree with you, but only about ATYCLB, IMO Bomb is a great album)

Funny, you complain about "commercial" songs like Vertigo, Elevation, and BD, and the first song in your list of what you'd prefer is U2's biggest US hit, WOWY (well, equal with ISHFWILF).

I get what you're saying though, and I agree.

I actually thought that All That (minus Elevation) is better that How To (minus Vertigo)

Let's see.. Vertigo came out over a year ago but what did they play at the Grammys?
Vertigo & One.

Cause Sometimes is the only good song on of HTDAAB.

Last edited:
Axver,

With or Without You was a huge hit but never thought of as a pre-made commercial song. The lyrics in that song are absolutely beautiful.

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you

Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you

Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more

Or
You elevate my soul
I've lost all self-control
Been living like a mole
Now, going down, excavation
I and I into the sky
You make me feel like I can fly so high
Elevation

Another thread of my opinion of music versus your opinion of music.

Can you people at least try and bring something else to the table?

You will find a large amount of support around here for your opinion. Plenty of us agree. Plenty more agree to the point where they don't post in this sub forum anymore because they have no will or want to discuss the latest couple of albums. However, be prepared for those who do adore the last two albums to fight you over it. There are also dozens of previous threads that cover these grounds (although I notice that you have posted little so may not visit here much and be unaware.)

I, for one, certainly agree with you. Whether it's the overproduction, the simplification of the music, the dumbing down of the lyrics, to me it all is taking away from the previously overflowing spirit of U2's music.

Ok DoubleU

How about tha fact that the last 2 albums were commercial icons. But Pop was better that both of them.

Thats been done to death as well. I think it's an established fact that these forums are 50/50 split over whether the past two albums are creative genius or commercial shit.

And yes it is a case of "my opinion vs your opinion" which is only about discussion, maybe debate, but certainly no-one is right or wrong. Some people far prefer commercial shit and that is a-ok with me :wink:

Raydetect said:
Ok DoubleU

How about tha fact that the last 2 albums were commercial icons. But Pop was better that both of them.

Once again "better" is you opinion.

Earnie Shavers said:
Whether it's the overproduction, the simplification of the music, the dumbing down of the lyrics, to me it all is taking away from the previously overflowing spirit of U2's music.

Perfect description! :up:

Thanks Earnie Sahvers and Zootlesque

I just find myself listening to so much of U2's early stuff recently. The new stuff just doesn't compare. I always thought that a U2 album sounded "just alright" at first. And usually turned into a masterpiece.

I Loved the last 2 albums at first and now think they are average.

Experiment U2!!

Last edited:
What was the contrived song on:
Boy?
October?
War?
The Unforgettable Fire?
The Joshua Tree?
Rattle & Hum?
Achtung Baby?
Pop?

Thanks Zootlesque and Typhoon for getting my back. I love that version of With of Without You. I can't wait to see what doubleu says are the contrived songs on their first 8 albums.

Last edited:
doubleU said:

Every album has had a throw away or simple song.

You realize, of course, that this is merely your opinion? ...And by the way--relativism is not a valid "argument." That was proven back when people spoke a language called Latin.

Just checking. Nice doing business with you.

Anyway, though it's already been said many times by many people in many threads, I more or less agree with the first post.

Radiohead for life, Zootle. You know how I do. Perfect line.

If you shout... said:

You realize, of course, that this is merely your opinion? ...And by the way--relativism is not a valid "argument." That was proven back when people spoke a language called Latin.

:lol:

doubleU said:

Every album has had a throw away or simple song.

The only thing about this thread that I find contrived is your bitching about it.

So name the "throw away" song in their first 9 albums!

I bet you can't cause the "throw away" song didn't start until All That You Can't Leave Behind, Such as:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
THE REST OF THE ALBUM IS GREAT!!

And:
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb:
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
City Of blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Original Of The Species

If they continue to make this music, forget about it.

Last edited:
Raydetect said:

THE REST OF THE ALBUM IS GREAT!!

Well................ you realize that this is subjective as hell, right??? I happen to think that Miracle Drug and Crumbs are the best songs from HTDAAB, at least lyrically.

But overall, they've lost the magic a bit with these last 2 albums. It's okay I still like them... just not as much as what came before.

Raydetect said:
What was the contrived song on:
Boy?
October?
War?
The Unforgettable Fire?
The Joshua Tree?
Rattle & Hum?
Achtung Baby?
Pop?

In my opinion? Let's be honest, this is all it is.

Into the heart
Scarlet
Seconds
4th of July
Trip through your Wires
Helter Skelter
Even Better than the Real Thing
Miami

doubleU said:

Into the heart
Scarlet
Seconds
4th of July
Trip through your Wires
Helter Skelter
Even Better than the Real Thing
Miami

I love all those songs... including Helter Skelter! :drool:

but esp. Into The Heart, Seconds, EBTTRT and Miami.

How can you not like EBTTRT? :love:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom