were the extra shows worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
for those of us who went to more than one show, did you feel it was worth it?
were the experiences unique enough to warrant the extra expense?
i ask because i went to see 3 shows on the first leg, 2 in montreal and then down to new jersey for the closer, and attended the montreal show last week. even when leaving for montreal, friends and family had to ask 'why do you need to see both', i hadn't told my parents i was going to nj yet, hehehe.
but at the same time i had extremely limited resources(subletted my school year house to 2 girls who decided they didn't want to live there the day they were to move in leaving me with 2 rents and had just started a job which didn't pay me for 8 weeks, each of these are extremely long stories)
so i find myself thinking, all 3 of the summer shows were seated, none of them in the lower bowl. on those three, all travel and what not included, i probably dropped a grand. but i thoroughly enjoyed myself each time out.
the 4th time was the reward though as i got in the heart and was blessed to experience U2 in concert the way it was truly meant to be.
but having said that i don't think i would give up the first 3 shows if i could get the money back, i guess what i'm trying to say is i have no regrets about spending money i didn't at the time have on a rock show i have more or less already seen.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

The 1st show was the one that blew my mind! The 3 other ones were almost better because i wasn't trying to pay attention to 50 different things at one time. I could just chill out and watch the show!

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

Well for me, the first was 04/13/01 in Vancouver and was just outside the heart, front row on Edge's side. It was the first time I had seen the boys since '92 so it absolutely blew me away. Second time was 08/21/01 in London, the day Bono's dad had died. I was front row in the heart bw Bono and Adam. Unbelievable show emotionally and so differnt from the show months earlier in Van. Third show, 08/25/01 Slane Castle. We were a ways back, but again so different from the other two times. It was amazing. Now the fourth time will be in Vegas and I am certain that that experience will be as unique as the others.
Every show had a change in the setlist. Vanouver was the inaugural show to play 'Wake Up Dead Man' and we heard 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'. London was the first time for me, to hear 'Kite' live. And well, Slane, would have been super special without the surprise of the tour, but still, we got 'A Sort Of Homecoming'. So, I don't regret a cent, and believe me, I have spent a fortune. But I have memories that will last me a lifetime, and new friends I believe, will stay such forever. I don't forsee Vegas being any different. It'll be a reunion in a way for many of us, and a special night once again, because U2 are full of surprises, and I simply can't get enough of them

Sorry for the long answer...
wink.gif
All shows were worth it and then some!

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

Definately yes!! And that's not considering the fact that the 3rd leg shows are a very different experience (in my opinion anyway).

I went to 1 show (NYC1) on the first leg and it was a grand moment for me.

I am going to 1 show on the 3rd leg (NYC2) and that will be a special moment.

I don't believe in "milking" a good feeling or overdoing things. I like the single special moments.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Of course they were worth it!! I've spent way too much money, and missed too much class and work, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If someone is willing to sponsor me, I'll take the rest of the semester off to follow them around.
smile.gif

------------------
Lift My Days
Light Up My Nights

Oh man, I got to go to four concerts, and on the 10/15 Chicago show... sitting out in the GA line, wondering, hmm.. maybe i can sell my tickets, get back to college and jump under a blanket and grab a nice refreshing mayonnaise cocktail.. I'm soo glad I didn't, cuz they just soo enjoy what they do, it is an absolute pleasure and every memory is a once in a lifetime memory no matter how many times you see them...

I saw three on the first leg Charlotte,NJ1 &NJ2. Went to Baltimore on friday and Im going to NY on Wed. and Thurs.So far they have been worth every penny and Im sure this week will be also.To me its like a drug addiction once you see one show you have to see more!

[This message has been edited by tretarka (edited 10-22-2001).]

Baltimore was my fifth show and the best. I plan on seeing them in Philly. Yes,Yes Yes it is worth it every last cent. If I wasn't leaving for Ireland Nov. 7 I would be at the NY and NJ shows. I had tickets and sold them so I would have more money for my trip. The summer and now Fall of 2001 I will never forget because of U2.

definitely worth it for me because I just got to see my fourth show of the tour in Baltimore with my friend jessica who hadn't seen any shows yet because she was working in alaska.

I'm also going to Philly. It's simply a year of touring that I will remember because of U2. It's fun, it's uplifting and I always meet lots of new people......and it only happens every few years.

providence will be my fifth show this tour. and it will be well worth it. there are certain shows that are always "special" (ie, the first time you see u2...first show of the tour etc.) but the main reason i want to go to multiple shows....i enjoy the music.

the experiance of going to a show, hearing music i love live, enjoying it with other people, well, it's a feeling i love and it doesn't change no matter how many times i go. i love music, i love u2, therefore, i love seeing u2 live.

i could be in an arena every night and listen to that bass line for bullet. i really could........there are few things that make me move, but that bass line does........

------------------
I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me.

Back
Top Bottom