"...we're making the best music; we're the best rock n' roll band in the world."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
it is a good thing to have your rock and roll band have an ego.....unfortunately....he is also the king of hype. sometimes delivered sometimes not.

Last edited:
All hail the EGO!!!!! :)

It's interesting though that, taken on its own, the quote "making best music with the best band in the world" sounds different to me than when listening to it in the interview. In the clip, it sounds like him basically saying how good life is for him rather than making an outright big bold statement about how great they are (which I'm sure he'll say anyway sometime soon, :)).

Anyway, it's very nice to hear that he's still very excited to be in U2, can we have the new music now?

:confused:

I don't think there's a singer of any band that's not sure that his band is the best in the world at any given moment. In case of a few bands - U2 is among them, I'm sure - that statement does not qualify as bragging or ego IMO.

please, if the lead singer from creed was saying "we're the best rock band in the world" everybody would say he is an egomaniacal jerk.

i love bono, but i can see why he annoys a lot of people who arent fans.

no, no, no....don't you see? There is a difference if Bono says it or if Scott whatsisface says it.

Bono can say it cos he IS in the the band in the world.

that's all subjective

I don't mind him saying it as much because I like his music and can agree with him to a certain extent. What do you expect him to say? 'We suck?' No. But I think in this case, I'd have preferred him to keep quiet.

I wouldn't mind Bono saying it once, and in the context of an interviewer asking "do you think u2 is a good band?" and Bono replying "yes, I think we're the best band in the world".

to constantly say that shit, unprovoked, is annoying.

wrap up the album; we'll decide.

Bono is just saying the truth, his band is the best. If he annoys people its simply because they are jealous or insecure.

Cheers,

J

Bono has every right to be that way. He is the singer of what is clearly THE GREATEST band in the world that is still active. IMO, the only bands that could be considered greater than U2 are broken up, have dead members, or both.

well, obviously u2 fans think they are the greatest band in the world, as i do, but like yertle said it is very subjective

thats why i said im sure it annoys a lot of people who arent fans, maybe even turns them off for even trying to listen to u2

john mellencamp has said he thinks u2 probably makes great music, but he would never be a fan because of all the greatest band in the world stuff

Friends, right now U2 has made or is making one of the most rockin' albums of their career. Bono is high off of that and is saying what is on his mind. Sure it sounds egotistical and pompous, but we'll all be singing his praises come 4 months from now. I guarantee it!

yeah, mellencamp's a jackass and i dont like him

but it shows you that bono's ego can have a negative effect

and to people say he doesnt have one, bono readily admits that he does

Is it just me or did Bono have this bored and tired " I can't believe I'm doing an interview RIGHT NOW " look! They should have just left the man alone on the way to the airport.... I mean common wasn't one speech just about enough for the evening?

I think pretty much everyone here knows Bono's had a capital dose of swagger and ego right from the start. I've seen the ancient interviews from waay back around Boy and Bobo's always gone on about how they were going to be better than anybody around. Nothin' new here.

I think that boils down to the fact that we expect Bono to say stuff like that because he been doing so since the beginning of their career. ie '82 interview "I think we are meant to be the best band in the world" or something to that affect.

If we were to hear it from someone else, we dont like it bc other people are afraid to say that they are the best band in the world.

My thoughts run along the same lines as Saracene. In that particular interview, he doesn't seem to be egotistical about how great U2 is, but rather how greatful he is for the life he has.

But anyway, I like when Bono makes egotistical comments like "we're the best band in the universe" and stuff. I personally think it's hilarious! I mean, I believe every word of it, but also find it really funny how it annoys quite a few people. It's Bono! He says all sorts of stuff! Seriously, that's what makes him who he is. Personally, I think his comments make things more interesting. It would be kinda boring if he kept saying "we're not *that* great...just as good as everybody else, really." However, with comments like "we are THE best band" and "our music is THE best ever" or whatever, it gets a rise out of people (i.e. this thread). Maybe that's just what he likes doing.

Okay, I've typed way too much for such a wee little comment. So long :wave:

Last edited:
No, it's not subjective or open for debate. U2 IS THE GREATEST ACTIVE BAND IN THE WORLD! That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not just saying they're the best because I like them. Greatness goes beyond that. No other existing intact band has achieved what they have, or have the sustained longevity with the same members! All that, in addition to their great music, makes them the greatest. Even people who are not fans of their music would have to admit that, and that is what true legendary greatness means.

Ah, but he didn't say, "greatest" - he said, "best," which implies more of an immediate quality, as in the here and now. "Greatest" usually takes into account things like longevity and career achievment. To that end, bands like Radiohead are certainly in the category of "best". I've seen both bands live, and though I enjoyed the U2 one more (I'm a huge fan, and their music is very uplifting), I would have to say that Radiohead had the better technical show, and are a much tighter band, and are better musicians. Each member can play pretty much every instrument used in a rock show (and some that normally aren't, but they use them anyway). In terms of talent, Radiohead is better. That said, U2 has "it" - whatever "it" is. And Radiohead doesn't always have "it".

what does liking or disliking Bono have to do with their music? I'd like to know...

Chizip said:
john mellencamp has said he thinks u2 probably makes great music, but he would never be a fan because of all the greatest band in the world stuff

You know, if Bono's statements or his activst work is a reason to not even have a listen at their music...that's a pretty bad and lame one IMO. No one said the world has to clap along and cheer whenever he says things like this, and just because no other singers do it doesn't mean he - or anyone else - shouldn't do it. But there is a difference if a new/young band says it and when a long-term, relevant band says it.

Ego? How about the millions of rappers (their attitudes or lyrics), or if we stick to rock - how about a certain Gallagher from Oasis? He said on multiple occasions theirs is the best band in the world and no one had a problem with it.

But, I see it also as a way of being proud of what they've achieved over the years, and (as he said on occasions on the last tour) "that just means we're the best band on the planet right now, on this night." (true, the pissing-off factor is probably there, too)

i used to be a huge mellencamp fan until last time saw him live when i totally changed all of his best songs and it sounded like a bad karaokee concert. he can say what he wants but he hasnt done anything great in years. and is probably jealous.

I know it should be only the music that matters, but the fact is many times it is not. That's just the way it is. Fans were even turned off Oasis for their "best band in the world" antics - and they became the mockery of non-fans because of it. I can tell you one thing: whenever I'm watching a music show on some has been band (or even some current band), and they start spouting off how they're better than anyone else, I get turned off by it if I disagree. The fact is, not everyone is going to agree with Bono (most people wouldn't, actually), and you would think many of those poeple would get turned off by U2. Ordinarily, I would say, "Who cares, U2 doesn't need those people." But if Bono means it when he says, "It would be a shame if we were great at the music, but bad at the business," then you have to take those things into account, IMO.

I have noticed one thing as well. It is true Bono/U2 used to say they were meant to be "one of the great bands" way back when they first started. However, as far as I rember, they only started saying "best band in the world" type things after they became chummy with Oasis. Coincidence? I think not! (Noel Gallagher once said if you tell 100 people you're the best band in the world, 50 will believe you.)

Yikes. I just can't believe people can complain about this NOW, after 25 odd years of U2. He's always been this way.
And he's always said the right thing(or wrong thing, depending who you are) to ruffle people's feathers. People shouldn't take themsleves too seriously, U2 don't and he doesn't. I think part of the reason he makes these comments is just to irritate people, and a job well done! Now here we are trying to quantify "greatness" and what it is to be the "best".

Back
Top Bottom