Well, well, well - U2 tops poll beating The Beatles! read......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Just got the news this morning from Sky news and BBC......I quote below the article from Sky News....

Irish rock gods U2 have knocked The Beatles off the top spot on the list of greatest albums of all time.

In a poll of more than 250,000 music fans, U2's The Joshua Tree headed the list of top 100 albums compiled for music channel VH1.

Tour success
The Beatles regularly take the number one slot with either Revolver or Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. But this time they only reached eighth and ninth places.

U2's polling will have been helped by their spectacular Elevation world tour, which hit the UK in the summer. The tour, based on the album All That You Can't Leave Behind, has just returned to North America.

The Joshua Tree was a number one album in the UK, sold more than 15 million copies worldwide and confirmed Bono and the boys as the world's number one rock outfit.

Many of the album's songs, such as Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without Your and Bullet the Blue Sky are still mainstays of the band's live set.

Jacko's backo

Regular favourite OK Computer by Radiohead only managed to make number 11, but their The Bends album came in at number six.

Michael Jackson's Thriller was the runner-up.

Several recent releases join classics like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (12) and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On (16).

Voters' favourites include last year's releases Sing When You're Winning by Robbie Williams at 13 and Coldplay's Parachutes at 23.

Oasis, often derided for ripping off The Beatles, beat their heroes by coming in at number three with (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

This is gonna start quite a debate about this.....but hmmm, its still interesting to see Joshua Tree at the top when only a few years back it was something like in the top 50 of all time best albums so what gives, I wonder? Is it cos that the Beatles are no longer listened to by the X generation? or is it just a quirk as its a stupid meaningless poll? What do you think?

In my opinion, while its great to see J.Tree at the top, I still can't see it lasting long as people's tastes will change over the next year or so. You know, in two years time, I bet J.Tree will not be anywhere near the top ten.

thats my penny's worth at this time......

dougal

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ach let him be Bullet, hes just sharing the news his way and maybe didnt see the other post, or know that you knew, and hes a hard worker so perhaps didnt have time to look through the forum, not everyone does.................ok?

so calm down dude, or Maddie will be over to sort u out with rope and glue!
biggrin.gif

Its ok with me Douggie, tanks!((((((((((hugz))))))))))))

OK

I may have missed it but didnt realise it till this morning and I dont read everything here in this forum (and besides Im at work right now) so dont blame me for missing something like this!

And thanks maddie you are a darling! *gives you an almighty big hug and a sloppy kiss on your cheek*
biggrin.gif

dougal

It sounds great until you see some of the other albums in the top ten. Thriller at number two???? Oasis at number three??!!
MEAT LOAF AT NUMBER FIVE!!
ROBBIE WILLIAMS AT NUMBER THIRTEEN!!!!!!

Good Gravy.

MAP

Back
Top Bottom