Week 70

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voxson

The Fly
The first Grammy Awards effects are visible in this week's UK charts. ATYCLB rises 33 spots in the UK charts although only 2 out of 7 days that counted for this week's chart were after the Grammies.

Here is the full UK run:

1-4-10-20-25-26-28-29-29-23
17-12-12-7-7-8-10-3-6-8
12-14-23-30-39-41-49-54-65-60
53-47-47-58-65-56-47-37-30-23
22-15-16-23-34-42-53-66-83-76
74-60-50-57-69-83-71-54-61-60
64-56-60-76-95-98-?-113-97-64

Chart position for week 67 is not known.

Andy

[This message has been edited by voxson (edited 03-03-2002).]

The Big news in week 69/70 since we don't know the post Grammy sales in the USA yet is DOWN UNDER! Here first is the list of countries that ATYCLB charts in this week.

USA #28
UK #64
Ireland #23
Denmark #85
Netherlands #45
France #132
Australia #19
Canada #24
Brazil #39
Total Global sales for ATYCLB this week are estimated at 58,201 with 36,086 of that number in the USA. Total sales in the USA to date are 3,521,142 while total Global sales for ATYCLB now stand at 10,423,418! The big news Down Under is that ATYCLB burst on to the Australian top 50 at #19! In BRAZIL ATYCLB jumps back in the top 50 chart at #39! ATYCLB has currently sold over 400,000 copies in Brazil alone!

Yeeeapppp.......Grammys had a profound effect on Australia, but I'm surprised it jumped so high. I'd say next week it'll rise to No. 17.......then fall, unless there is some other factor here at play
eek.gif

Bless ya!
WHYWHY

With about 10% of the data in, ATYCLB rises up from #33 to #24 on the HitsDailyDouble charts. While this rise is nice, both the "O Brother..." soundtrack and Keys' album are in the top 10.

Of course, I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers just yet. Hits also has Creed dropping from #6 to #19, which I doubt will happen in reality.

Wow! Now with 20% of the data in, ATYCLB sky-rockets back into the Top 10 on Hits. All three big Grammy winners are in the Top 10 - along with new releases from Alannis and Cher. Could be an interesting week on the charts.

I'd love to see U2 sneak into the Top 10 - even at #10 - just for a week. ATYCLB spent only two scant weeks there when it debuted and it deserves more.

Originally posted by jezebel:
At this rate, somebody should post the good news at the end of the day in EYKIW

Can you even imagine if ATYCLB HAD won the best Album grammy????? whoa
biggrin.gif

It's best to wait until either the HITS data is complete or we get actual SoundScan data (usually on Wed. morning) before we cross-post this info. in another forum.

As for "Album of the Year" - I agree, ATYCLB probably would have sold more, but I'm not sure if it would have jumped up to #1 or #2 at this point. That's only because the album has been out for SO long now (70 weeks). Plus, the "O Brother..." soundtrack simply has been more popular than ATYCLB.

HITS Daily Double Update:
With 54% reporting, U2 is holding strong at the number 9 spot, with sales of 51,100 copies!!! This is great news, and they are only 2,200 copies from the #5 spot and seem entrenched in the top ten given the #11 spot has sales of 45,000.

Interestingly, that #11 spot is held by India.Arie. Despite getting shut out at the Grammies, hers is the 4th largest jump of the top 50 mainstays after the big 3 winners (O Brother #2, Keys #5, U2 #9). Alanis has a sizeable lead at #1 and O Brother is firmly in place at #2, both eclipsing the 100K mark already.

At the current pace, U2 will fall just shy of the 100K sales mark, projected they would be at about 95,000. However, HITS chart history has indicated U2 fall slightly in the final count, so I'd expect 80,000+ as the more realistic final number. Nevertheless, this is a significant spike and may just be enough to get U2 into the top 10 in the Billboard charts!!

- Jason.

SWEET!
Now here's to wondering if 'walk on' winning the big award and being re-released to radio is going to have any effect in the coming weeks? Also maybe folks will see that 4 songs won big and go out and buy it, plus watching the opening performance of 'walk on'.

Hello,

The Dutch album charts are updated again (and even before the single charts are, which is exceptional). So, here are the results of the Dutch jury (Numbers courtesy of Mega Top 100, http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ ).
ATYCLB drops a few positions and lands at #51 in its 69th chart week. I don't expect that the Grammy awards have much influence on U2's record sales here, if any at all. The Dutch papers did report that they were one of the big winners that night, but generally the news was stuffed away in some small corner. As the highlights of the show were only broadcasted by the BBC on Friday at midnight I don't think many saw U2's performance. Still, the album does very well, considering that some big releases debuted on the charts this week.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57-61
44-41-44-41-56-58-52-45-51
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The Best Of 1980-1990 also drops a bit as it falls 4 positions to #57. It's now on the charts for 115 weeks.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56-63-45
47-64-63-65-74-73-53-57

The new #1 album in the Netherlands is a best of by the most popular Dutch singer of the last few years and outsold the #2 (Alanis Morissette) by 2:1.

As the single charts are not updated yet, I don't have information on that one. There are, however, no U2 singles on the chart.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

DOH! I just posted and see that Mike beat me to this with the data. Therefore, I'll just edit my post.

I just hope HITS is fairly accurate this week - I'd love to see ATYCLB back into the Top 10 again!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-05-2002).]

Just thought I'd pass on some crazy numbers. Currently on hits U2 is at #9 with 71,141 with 87% in. That's fine and all, but what seems crazy to me is that it appeared early on that Alanis had #1 well in hand and O Brother would take #2 but as of now, with 87% in, O Brother is at #2 but only 1,400 copies behind Alanis now and about 4,000 from the 200,000 mark. WOW...

One could only imagine what might have been...

aaron

Yep, they apparently got the sales figures in from the South. O Brother is just behind Alanis and Alan Jackson is not #20 anymore. It seems as if U2 will reach the top 10 at Hits and hopefully they can even get to #7 (I'd be very happy if they end above J-Lo).

BTW, with the numbers for #1 and #2 this close and with the knowledge that Hits regularly has some wrong numbers, who wants to bet that Hits predicts the wrong #1? It doesn't matter whether it's Alanis or O Brother, who's with me that the other one will be #1 at Billboard?

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hey Jezebel!

Great to hear from you again! I hope we can run into each other on the next tour in say 2004 the way it looks now. Wouldn't you love to hear my conversation with the shrink.

Doctor - "So explain your problem."

Me - "Well, I have been trying to spread the music of U2 to the rest of the world. I make copies of bootlegs, tidy up U2 sections in music stores, send messages to DJs, travel around the country going to concerts, buy every U2 recorded piece of music I can lay my hands on, spread the word on Drop the Debt, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, etc. and assist in every which way I can to help Bono save the world. My family & friends think I'm nuts."

Doctor - "Try listening to the music by the likes of N'Sync or Brittney Spears and you will have no interest in trying to save the world."

Now clean up those record stores for me in Joshua Tree, CA!
Curt

I should have added that Hits final shows ATYCLB in 8th with a little over 82,000 copies sold. Should be good enough for top 10 on Billboard. Great week but lets see if these numbers can carry for another week.

Any guesses as to how big a drop we may see the week after the Grammy surge? I am guessing about 30%.

cm, sometimes I tidy up the U2 section myself. other times I have had to bring the stores attention to the fact that they are out of ATYCLB.

Anyway, as for the sales drop after the grammys, it will be tricky. You have to remember that the sales we are seeing now are for last week. The only grammy effect is happening for people that went out and bought the grammy winning albums on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. So I think we can continue to see a continued grammy effect on next weeks chart as well. If it will be sustained at the same level remains to be seen.

Congrats to U2 for the jump! We will see tomorrow where they are on billboard. My guess is number 10.

Originally posted by womanfish:
cm, sometimes I tidy up the U2 section myself. other times I have had to bring the stores attention to the fact that they are out of ATYCLB.

Okay, you guys are nuts
wink.gif
And you should go see the doctor-just NOT Doctorwho
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

The last comment about Hits updating with sales from the south made me wonder where in the US does U2 have great or poor sales?

For the past 3 or so weeks, ATYCLB has been in the top 10 in sales in the Twin Cities metro(Minneapolis/St.Paul 7 county area) according to a weekly chart in the Minneapolis StarTribune. I believe they were even in the top 5 one or two of those weeks.

Curt

p.s. Whenever I am in a record shop I always tidy up the U2 section. Anyone else do this or should I see a shrink?

Damn, no soundscan figures yet, but of course, I am never satisfied with the current week, I am always looking ahead!
smile.gif

For week 71, things are off to a great start. Like I stated before, week 70 is only representing 3 days of grammy affected sales. This week the trend seems to continue as ATYCLB rises from number 5 to number 3 on Amazon and from number 11 to number 3 on cdnow.com. This is the highest I have seen it at cdnow for over a year.

So if this keeps up U2 may have a second week in the top 10 (if they are even in the top 10 this week)

Hope we get those numbers soon!!

Here are the numbers!!

My prediction was correct! at least my updated prediction
smile.gif

U2 came in at number 10! with sales of 81,287

And U2 are now above Creed!!!!!!!!

Here is the top 15

1 * MORISSETTE*ALAN|UNDER RUG SWEP 215325
2 * O BROTHER WHERE|SOUNDTRACK 209227
3 * MINOGUE*KYLIE|FEVER 114728
4 * KEYS*ALICIA|SONGS IN A MINOR 102866
5 LINKIN PARK|HYBRID THEORY 96662
6 JACKSON*ALAN|DRIVE 96196
7 LOPEZ*JENNIFER|J TO THA LO! 88086
8 LUDACRIS|WORD OF MOUF 82915
9 * CHER|LIVING PROOF 82212
10 * U2|ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BE 81287
11 PINK|MISSUNDAZTOOD 68612
12 CREED|WEATHERED 68127
13 * VARIOUS ARTISTS|GRAMMY NOM 200 67689
14 * INDIA.ARIE|ACOUSTIC SOUL 67181
15 * XECUTIONERS|BUILT FROM SCRATCH 66844

There you have the top 15 and their sales for this week.

Yeah!!!!!

Originally posted by womanfish:
Damn, no soundscan figures yet. Hope we get those numbers soon!!

Ya just had to ask for them - real nice.
biggrin.gif
Who do you think "docu2" is in that thread?
wink.gif
Oh, and don't worry PopMartijn - I've been watching that forum closely. If you ask too early in the morning or don't appear grateful, they get nasty. I find that usually someone will post the data on their own. However, once it hit noon-ish and there still wasn't a post with the data, I thought I'd ask - but in a SUPER nice way. And note the nice response in kind.
smile.gif
However, next week, we should just wait, I'm sure it'll be posted.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-06-2002).]

U2 also makes a big jump on the Canadian charts.

It is at Number 8 this week with sales of about 6,500 up from mid 20s last week and sales of about 3,200.

This is the highest since the Xmas season of 2000.

Total Canadian sales of ATYCLB are at about 525,000.

ChangetheTemperature: Do you have ATYCLB total Canadian chart run? I monitored it for a year, but then, due to a very busy schedule, stopped. If you go back into older threads on this forum, you should be able to get the first 52 weeks or so on the Canadian charts - I just need you to fill in the last 18 weeks.

Also, for those in the know about SoundScan and Billboard charts, I saw the following:

131 MONN 135 149 154 DIXIE CHICKS|FLY 8560 8823

That first number is the weeks on the chart. Why is the Dixie Chicks' album still in the Top 200? It's been charting well below #100 for the last three weeks and it has been out for well over 2 years. According to the rules I've read, it should have shifted to the Catalog charts by now. I know that SoundScan records Catalog data too, so why is this album still in the Top 200?

I just have to past this post here from last Thursday...

Well, I am stuck in a hospital room, and have been watching TV pretty much around the clock since the Grammies. Just about every news channel. I also have probably surfed the entire web.

I was on that same roller coaster last night...it started off awesome, then I got sick of the Marmaladies and Keys, was mildly entertained by the tunes played from O Brother, stunned by the Album award, but then happy again when U2 won at the end. In fact, my wife said it just seemed like a U2 awards show. They started it off, played by far the best song live, won a few more in the middle, and then ended the show as well.

So I tried to objectively watch the news today. It pretty much came across the same way all day - U2, Keys, and O Brother steal the grammies. Not always in that order, but pretty balanced just the same. I've found many articles on the web along those same lines. What's interesting, and I guess to be expected, is that U2 headlines almost all the Grammy headlines outside of the U.S.

So, in the end, 7 grammies for this album is well deserved. If this thread is really about predictions, then I'll make one here. Last year, I think the 3 grammies for BD bumped them all the way to 11. This year, I think the 4 grammies will take them one spot higher, maybe two. Not bad, not bad at all.

P.S. The best article is the ESPN diary over on youtwo.net. Those guys are always cracking me up, and even with their jabs at Bono, you can tell they are big fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom