Week 57

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marko

War Child
i don't know why, but I always wanted to start this thread.
Well in the UK charts LP fell down 14 spots to No.83, and offcouse that's not good. It seems that it will soon fall off the top 100. Walk on obviously did no good for the album

now i'm just rambling on
DrWho, Womanfish, please take over

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Hey Marko,

It's good to see someone else starting this thread after starting it myself for a month now but unfortunately you provided us with some old news since you mentioned week 56 chart positions in the UK.

So, the real chart position of Week 57 in the UK are:

Albums: ATYCLB rises 12 places to #71. Maybe a delayed effect of Walk On, however my guess would be that a U2 album is always a good gift for holidays and we will see more rising in the next few weeks.

Singles: Walk on falls 22 whole places down to #27. Obviously this song was not meant to be a bug hit. Truth is that there are so many U2 fans in the UK and that U2 are so known and loved that a U2 single is almost always going to be a success in the first week.

Andy

Let's just hope that i'll improve...
thanx for the good news

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

WEEK 56/57! Well, this week things get smaller as far as number of charts around the world ATYCLB is on. ATYCLB is gone from the top 100 albums in Denmark leaving just 5 countries around the world where ATYCLB shows up on a chart. Here they are:

United States #77
United Kingdom #71
Canada #69
Netherlands #80
France #113

There is a large increase in sales in the USA this (59%) putting USA sales at 32,000 for the week. That puts total sales to consumers in the USA at 3,086,000! The shipped figure is now estimated at 3,250,000 copies in the USA!
I estimate Global sales for the week to be 48,000 copies puting TOTAL Global sales for ATYCLB at 10,548,400 copies!
USA sales are now making up 70% of all copies sold worldwide improving the USA share of the total sales for ATYCLB.
The Christmas selling season is here and U2 is doing well in the USA. Then the first week of January will have the American Music Awards, followed by the Grammy Nominations, always a sales booster. First week of February is the Super Bowl half time show that will be seen by about a Billion people worldwide. Finally there is the Grammy awards at the end of February. U2 should also release a new single in the USA during this time. With 3.25 million shipped in the USA, and three months of awards shows and TV, 4 million copies does not seem so distant anymore.

U.S. news! Well the numbers decline on the chart this week as compared to last weeks holiday weekend spree. And it looks like it may be a good thing for U2!

I was watching the hitsdailydouble page, and if anyone blinked, they might have missed it. But U2 made a brief appearance at number 50 with 37% of the vote in. At that time they had 17,100 sold. This would mean they are on track to sell around 45-46,000 copies this week. This means around 44 - 45,000 for Billboard numbers
smile.gif

#50 on hits has meant U2 has placed anywhere from 52 to 59 on the Billboard chart in the past. So we may be seeing U2 in the top 60 on Billboard this week, or if hits is really off, I think we can at least see them go up 5 spots or so. We will have to wait and see.

More to come

Thank you everyone for keeping up the chart and sales news for the last month+. I have been ridiculously busy, having just enough spare time to post in sporadic moments. Also, it seems that all of you are really good at this.
smile.gif

During the Christmas holidays, I will have a nice vacation. At that time, I promise to give a a nice summary for the first 60 weeks.

If ATYCLB does indeed hold on during the holiday season in the U.S., then I think the album will reach close to 3.5 million in actual consumer sales before it falls from the charts. Of course, one never knows the effects of the Super Bowl performance as well as any possibly Grammy wins. This could really add to the sales. Will ATYCLB hit 4x Platinum before it falls off the charts? I guess that also depends on whether U2 release another single and if that becomes a hit. My guess is "no," however, having an album sell well over 3 million copies is no small feat! Go U2!

While MTV believes that the 59% increase in sales for ATYCLB was due to VH-1's showing of the Boston concert, they forget that U2 also appeared on Jay Leno on Thanksgiving night. While the David Letterman performance didn't do too much (or so it seemed), Leno seems to reach more people. Leno coupled with the VH-1 show is what gave U2 the boost.

I've been wondering though - why are U2 suddenly doing this "promotion?" The tour is now over and the album has been out for over a year. Could the appearances on Leno and Letterman and the VH-1 show really be U2's promotion for the DVD? Either way, it seems to be working. Best Buys sold out of the DVD and ATYCLB saw big gains in sales.

In any event, if y'all could keep up the chart news for a bit longer, I'll be most appreciative!
biggrin.gif

Several people have mentioned that U2 might release a new single. This is a good time for U2's marketing team in the U.S. to release a new single because "Stuck" seems to be sliding, and there's been more news about U2 with the Super Bowl and USA today articles, AND the DVD.

But of course, U2's promotions will most likely mess up this opportunity to release a single, like they have for years. Everyone knows that Gone should have been released from POP years ago, and that SATS should have been released first.

If a new single is released in the U.S., it will probably be some bad remix like Elevation. (which was never released anyway)

Kite or IALW should be released within the next month or two to catch the U2 excitement with the DVD, holidays, and Super Bowl. It seems such an obvious decision, and the record lable should recognize it.

Some of U2's finest songs to date won't ever be released in the U.S. Walk On and Elevation should have been released in the U.S. Maybe WO isnt doing great in Europe, but how can you not release one of U2's finest, radio friendly songs?

Note to U2's U.S. record label/marketing team: release Kite or IALW. People like these songs a lot, and they could be hits.

Originally posted by POPMUZZZIK:
If a new single is released in the U.S., it will probably be some bad remix like Elevation. (which was never released anyway)

I have to correct you, Elevation WAS released in the US. I believe it was the end of June, or something like that, that they released the single. Surprisingly, the song never charted on the Hot 100. I say surprisingly, because the song it quite catchy and radio friendly (even more so in the great Tomb Raider Mix, which gives a song an extra punch).

Some of U2's finest songs to date won't ever be released in the U.S. Walk On and Elevation should have been released in the U.S. Maybe WO isnt doing great in Europe, but how can you not release one of U2's finest, radio friendly songs?

And also Walk On was released as a single in the USA, in February IIRC. Again, this song did not chart on the Hot 100. I may have to do with the fact that suddenly Beautiful Day started to do very well on the Hot 100. When it won 3 Grammies many stations played the song, at the expense of Walk On.

As in the rest of the world, U2 have released 4 singles off ATYCLB in the USA. Sadly, only 2 reached the Hot 100, but all the songs were hits on Modern Rock Radio (is that how you call it?).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hello,

The singns are getting clearer and clearer that ATYCLB is at the end of its chart run. The # of posts in the chart threads are getting less and less, unfortunately. Nevertheless, even in its 57th week, ATYCLB is still charting. So here are the positions from the Dutch charts, courtesy of the Wanadoo Album Top 100 (http://www.wanadoo.nl/top40/charts/index_21.html)
In week 57 ATYCLB holds steady as it slips only one position to #81. After the big drop last week, this is a relief. I don't know if I can contribute it to the performance of Walk On or if there are other reasons. The holiday season has also started in the Netherlands, as there was a holiday yesterday (Saint Nicolas) that had giving presents as its main focus. The next few weeks also has the Christmas shopping, so hopefully the album will profit from that too.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

That other U2 album on the charts, The Best Of 1980-1990, did better. It rose 5 positions to #57. Here the holiday effect is clearly visible, as Greatest Hits compilations are always a good seller for the holidays. The album is now 103 weeks on the charts and I see it being on the charts for some time.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57

The #1 album in the Netherlands is Teleromeo by K3. This is child-pop (so aimed at even younger audiences than teenpop) and that's all I have to say about it. At least they openly admit that children are their target audience.
Speaking of teenpop, Britney drops to #28. Will this album go the same way as NSUCK's Celebrity (ie. down down deeper down)? Let's hope so! Her male substitutes, the Backstreet Boys, fall to #20 with their Greatest Hits CD. And the Irish carbon copy of them, Westlife, drop 11 positions to #22. The end of teen pop is nigh! Or so I hope...
K3's single is at #11 on the charts.

That #11 position is one position lower than Walk On. In its 3rd week the song drops 2 positions to #10. This shows the disadvantage of the early sales of the single. Would it not have been sold a few days before the official release date it would have debuted higher last week and it would not have dropped as low as this week (the Dutch single charts are based on a weighted average of 2 weeks of sales). Nevertheless, U2 has another top 10 hit and that counts. Hopefully the single will stabilise/go back up the next few weeks (as Elevation did). Whatever it does, it has already done its job.
Here is the chart run of Walk On:
31-8-10

What's Going On? drops another 7 positions this week. It seems as if the single will be nothing more than just a minor hit as it peaked at #26. As I said last week: it's a pity not that many care about charity singles anymore.
What's Going On?'s run on the charts is:
61-26-26-27-34

The #1 single in the Dutch charts is still Dutch teen popper Sita with her Happy.
There is another new #1 in the Dutch singles charts. Dutch teen popper Sita scores a #1 with Happy. Last week's #1 De Poema's are at #2 and Enrique Iglesias complements the top 3 with his single Hero.
J-Lo stays at #5. Britney drops to one spot to #24 and the BSB stay at #20.
Sometimes I think part of the Dutch population does have a good taste in music.
Sita does not have an album out (yet?) so she doesn't chart on that list.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

I found the following tidbit which indicates that ATYCLB, which dropped only 1 position to 78, probably sold about 30,000 copies in week 57.

According to Billboard's official Web site, the Fab Four's "Beatles 1" compilation shot up to no. 73 from no. 146 on its top 200 chart.
The album sold 31,000 copies -- twice as many as the week before, according to SoundScan, which tracks the retail sales of albums. Billboard also named the compilation its album of the year at its annual awards ceremony Tuesday.

To complete the chart news for week 57 in the US:

Stuck In A Moment surprisingly rises one spot at the adult sharts to #9 and two spots to #65 in the singles chart. Now maybe its peak has passed, let's see if it can hold steady for some time though...

Andy

Popmartijn- You might be correct, maybe Elevation and Walk On were released in the U.S. But with BD and Stuck, I've seen confirmation of when the songs were to be released to U.S. radio.

Several websites, including U2.com and youtwo.net both reported that BD would be released to U.S. radio in Sept of 2000. Many websites also said that Stuck would be released to U.S. radio in August 2001.

But I haven't seen this type of confirmation with Elevation and Walk On. Also, I only heard Elevation and Walk On on certain radio stations. Mostly college radio and few adult top 40.

I called some radio stations to request Elevation and WO, but they said that they didn't have the songs. This leads me to believe that both songs weren't released as TRUE radio singles, like BD and Stuck.

I just wish there wasn't so much confusion surrounding the release of U2 singles. I haven't seen any proof that Elevation and WO were released. Elevation was on the TR soundtrack, and that gave it more exposure. But did radio stations really get a copy of Elevation to play??? Same with WO.

Yes, its called Modern Rock, to answer your question. I just think that ATYCLB should have been marketed a lot better in the U.S.

Hopefully Kite, IALW or Wild Honey will be OFFICIALLY released to U.S. radio like they should be. They're some of U2's finest songs.

U2s record label have done everything they could to push this album at Radio. Both Walk On and Elevation were released to the radio stations, but only experienced success at Mainstream Rock, Modern Rock, and Adult Top 40. They came very close but were unable to crack the HOT 100 with those songs.
You can spend all the money in the world to promote yourself, but that does not insure your song is going to be a hit. Many other factors are involved. While this album has recieved about the same amount of airplay as POP, it has sold more than twice as many copies!

Yes, ATYCLB has been promoted very well by their record label in the U.S. I just think it could have been promoted better.

The release of the singles could have been more organized. For instance, I think that Walk On should have been shortened in length to about 4:05, not just 4:25. This would have made it more radio friendly.

It should have been released in Feb., or March after the 3 grammy awards. The succcess of BD was taken too far. When a band wins song of the year, it's good to "ride that success" and delay release of a new single. But only for a short time. Walk On should have been released in a much shorter version right after the grammies.

The TR remix is good, but it made it harder to reach top 40 because of its harder guitar sound. I think it was a poor choice to remix this song, it was great the way it was.

Stuck and BD have been promoted very well. Now its time to shortern Kite to about 4:00, and RELEASE IT NOW to U.S. radio. Let's hope U2's record handles the promotion of this song better than Elevation and Walk On. IALW or WH could also be released.

Originally posted by POPMUZZZIK:
It should have been released in Feb., or March after the 3 grammy awards. The succcess of BD was taken too far. When a band wins song of the year, it's good to "ride that success" and delay release of a new single. But only for a short time. Walk On should have been released in a much shorter version right after the grammies.

But Walk On was already released then (Feb/March). That single was released in December 2000/January 2001 to radio. That was already four months after the release of Beautiful Day. But an amazing thing happened, BD got on afterburners and became a huge hit, eclipsing the release of Walk On.
Nobody had expected this (that the single would become so huge so long after its release) and nobody could have expected it. I don't see it as a mistake by the marketing department as I thought even then that a four months gap was too long. It wasn't, but only in hindsight. Unfortunately, by the time BD lost its momentum, Walk On could not take its place. I think radio already thought that that single had flopped so they did not want to play it anymore.

You're arguing for a release of Kite NOW. But maybe the same thing will happen. Maybe Stuck... will suddenly take off during the (pre)Christmas days and will become a huge hit. It's still quite stable on the Hot 100, not dropping quickly. And when it does take off, many forget about Kite. So you get the same story again (why wasn't Kite released as a single?).

On the other hand, what do I know about the charts? I can't even predict the performance of ATYCLB in my own country!

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
You're arguing for a release of Kite NOW. But maybe the same thing will happen. Maybe Stuck... will suddenly take off during the (pre)Christmas days and will become a huge hit. It's still quite stable on the Hot 100, not dropping quickly. And when it does take off, many forget about Kite. So you get the same story again (why wasn't Kite released as a single?).

i agree. i live in the US, and i still hear stuck all the time on the radio, as well as BD. i think they should wait until the beginning of next year to release anything else off of the album, and to give stuff some time to make it to radio airplay. some cities (esp. where i am!) take forevah to play new stuff, not necessarily because they don't have it, but because they would rather stick to the same songs forever. stuck might catch on to the mainstream, esp. with the football-themed video, since the football season ends in about a month with the super bowl. tie that in with U2 performing there, and you never know...the video/song might see it catapulted into top 40 stuff. there are some good songs on atyclb that haven't seen the light of day yet, and i'd hate for a song of theirs to be forgotten about because the radio just discovered this "fab song called 'new year's day'!!"
rolleyes.gif

anyway, that's my two cents...

------------------
have a nice day! ;)
royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time

john nude!

Back
Top Bottom