Week 54

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
UK charts:

ATYCLB falls 7 places. It's now at #57.

Andy

P.S: That was one short post, eh?

Week 53/54 around the world! Once again, there are 8 countries where U2 is on chart producing sales similar to last week of about 50,000 copies of ATYCLB. Here they are:

United Kingdom #57
Denmark #76
Netherlands #60
France #76
Ireland #24
Australia #44
Canada #31
United States #62

Total worldwide sales for ATYCLB are now 10,420,000!

Hello,

In the new sales chart by Hitsdailydouble ATYCLB has returned in the top 50 (#27) and NSUCK is nowhere to be seen! Oh and the BSB fall to #32, below ATYCLB!!!
eek.gif
On the other hand, only 0.22% is counted yet...
tongue.gif

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Well .22% is a little slim to start predicting
smile.gif
, I usually wait until 15 or 20% come in, and even then it can be pretty volatile. There is now about 21% in at Hits and it is looking pretty good. Sales are up a bit across the board. It looks like the top ten albums will sell 140,000 and up. Britney is on track to sell about 800,000 in her first week. Good? Yes. But that is only about how much Dave Matthews sold in their first week, and it is 400,000 less than the first week sales of her last album. Also Backstreet is looking like they may only be around 100,000 copies this week. Now that is bad (or great if you ask me
smile.gif
)

Enya is still putting up BIG numbers in the top 5. U2 is sitting at number 46 right now and they weren't on the chart last week. It is still too early to tell if this means an actual boost or not, but it is promising.

Taking a look at Billboard charts, things really are looking pretty good for U2. There are a TON of albums on the chart right now that are dropping FAST, as they are getting lost in the shuffle of the pending Christmas rush. I took a look at the albums I think will continue to drop very quickly in the next few weeks.

Andrea Boccelli
DMB Live
Ozzy
Bubba Sparxxx
Charlotte Church
Reba McIntire
Enigma
John Mellencamp
Bush
Elton John
Macy Gray

that's 11 albums between number 24 and number 48 that are heading down quick. I think that if U2 can stay visible with Awards, TV, singles, the DVD, etc... that they can hang tough in the top 50 to 75 through the Christmas season.

Well, 50.54% of the sales are in, and ATYCLB sits at #46 with sales of 19,942 copies.

We all know the "accuracy" of HitsDailyDouble, but this clearly shows that album-sales are up (probably due to the coming Christmas).
I guess in the end ATYCLB could have sold anything in between 30,000-40,000 copies
smile.gif

Yeah U2 is bouncing in and out of the top 50 right now on hitsdailydouble. But it looks like they will definitely have a sales increase no matter what.

Something interesting seemed to happen today on the hitschart. Both 'nsync and BSB were doing really poorly yesterday. But today they jump up big. You can see what a difference it makes when kids are off from school for one day!

And it looks like Enya could beat out both Michael Jackson and Pink Floyd for the number 2 spot, although it is extremely close! More to come.

Hello,

Well, the final numbers are in from Hitsdailydouble. We all know now that we have to take these results with a grain of salt as they are not totally congruent with Billboard's numbers.
Anyway, U2 did not make the top 50. However, this may not be that bad as there are 10 debuts in the top 50. And the #50 album sold almost 35,000 hitsdailydouble copies, while U2's sales are guestimated to be around 22,000 (billboard) copies these last few weeks. But since they were in the top 50 in the beginning I suspect U2 will not drop (much) in this week's chart.

Other sales news: Britney is the new #1 (Yuck! but no surprise), but she has sold less than 800K copies (so roughly half of her last album's first week). Backstreet Boys fall out of the top 10 with a 40% sales decrease.
smile.gif
But the horror! NSUCK has a 15% sales increase. Noooo!!!
mad.gif

Bottom line, things still look good for U2.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Yep, it looks like U2 is just outside the top 50, since they bounced between number 46 and being off the chart the whole time up until the end. They definitely had a sales increase. I would say that they probably sold around 31 to 33,000 taking a little bit off because hits is usually a little high.

You will notice that there are several albums that declined very slightly anywhere from 3 to 5%, but dropped anywhere from 8 to 11 spots! this also supports the fact that if U2 are at number 51 or 52 that they definitely had a sales increase.

Hello,

As is the case almost every other week, this week's chart update is a mixed bag. Without much further ado, here are the results for ATYCLB's 54th week, courtesy of the Mega Top 100 (http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/).
To start with the bad news immediately, ATYCLB dropped again. This week, the album drops 6 places to #66. Even though there are eight new entries above ATYCLB and only six albums above ATYCLB have charted longer I'm still disappointed in the its behaviour this week. Next week Walk On will be released and hopefully it will help album sales.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

This week The Best Of 1980-1990 again charts above ATYCLB. This album rises another nine positions to #37. What is maybe even more reason for celebration is the fact that the album is now on the charts for 100 (non-consecutive) weeks! At this moment there are only 5 albums on the chart for 100 weeks or more (1 for more than 200 weeks), so The Best Of... is a member of a select group. A reason for this sudden strong chart performance may be that some chains have The Best Of... on offer (generally 25% off the expensive full price). But as long as people are buying U2, it doesn't matter.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37

Last week's #1 was pretty much expected as Michael Jackson's Invincible was a #1 hit all over the world. But this week's #1 is kind of surprising as it is... Invincible, by Michael Jackson! Why surprising? As I had expected that the new Britney album would offer very strong competition. She doesn't. In fact, she fails misirably at it as she enters the chart at #16!
biggrin.gif
OK, she's still the highest debut, but she has only 20% of Invincible's sales! But be prepared, the horror may not have begun yet. Last week the Backstreet Boys also had a low debut (#19) for their Greatest Hits. This week they rise 9 spots to #10 and as they can do it, maybe the same will happen with Britney. God forbid!
eek.gif
Dutch band Kane remain #2 with strong sales of their new album (with only being 5% behind Michael Jackson). There are no NSUCK albums on the charts. Michael Jackson's You Rock My World drops on the singles chart from to #18 (after peaking at #2).

U2 does show a remarkable longlevity on the singles chart. In its 19th week Elevation is still on the charts. This week it drops another 6 positions to #76. As there are 10 debuts above Elevation, this is not bad. But the single has left the sales only segment of the charts as sales are so weak that airplay is also counting. As U2 have a new single out next week this may mean that Elevation can drop off the charts very quick. I'm hoping it will be on next week as it then will have been on the charts for 20 weeks.
Elevation's run on the charts is:
11-7-13-17-1-2-3-11-17-17
23-31-36-43-53-55-62-70-76

Last week What's Going On? entered the chart at #61. This wasn't too bad, but it's not outstanding either. Thankfully, the single rises further this week as it bullets to #26. This is a much position as only 3 singles chart higher that have been on the charts for 1 or 2 weeks. I did my part of it as I bought the 6-track EP. Yes, Fred Durst's mix is atrocious
rolleyes.gif
but the rest is quite enjoyable.

News flash: Kylie is no longer the #1 song! She drops to #2 as Dutch band/collective De Poema's take over. This is Dutch 'supergroup' is a combination of a popular Dutch rock band and a singer-songwriter duo. They have been at #2 for a few weeks and now they finally take over the top position.
The teenybopper-front again has some good and bad news. Britney's I'm A SM-Slave For You drops further to #13. This position proved to be unlucky for the Backstreet Boys 2 weeks ago, so hopefully it's also unlucky for her. Speaking of BSB, their Drowning drops another spot to #15. OK, so it's not much, but their going down down down down!
tongue.gif
The bad news is that J-Ho rises to #3 while she's faking to be real (I'm still angry for her ridiculous behaviour at the What's Going On? video shoot where she had very expensive demands (big trailer, everything white, expensive gadgets) for 90 minutes of a video shoot for a charity single!).
BTW, since De Poema's are a one-off project (actually two-off at the moment) they don't have an album.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Great! I was almost right on the money! I guessed 4,500 for #50 in the UK charts. Its actually 5,100! Very close! Interesting info! Thanks!

Originally posted by voxson:
UK charts:

ATYCLB falls 7 places. It's now at #57.

Andy

I now have (from BPI)weekly sales figures for albums in the UK charts something I think STING was asking about previously. These figures are based on 2000.

Also worth mentioning that quarter 4 figures are much higher - probably because of xmas. I give some figures below but have otheres if anyone is interested:

1 -116,050 (q4 204,125)

10- 23,700 (q4 71,600)

20 - 14,025 (q4 51,225)

40 - 6,875 (q4 14,000)

50 - 5,100 (q4 9,850)

75 - 3,025 (q4 5150)

Mike

Some quick U.S. chart news.

ATYCLB drops to #67 in Week 54. It's a challenge to estimate sales now because of the holiday season. While sales must have dropped (as there is no Gold background), they might not have dropped much - the album might simply have been pushed down due to the inundation of new releases.

"Stuck..." rises one spot to #54. It has a Gold background. It rises to #12 on the Adult chart, with a Gold background there as well. The #12 ranking on the Adult chart matches the previous high this song obtained on that chart. "Stuck..." had reached #52 on the Hot 100 charts, so while it appears to be making a resurrgence, it has a way to go before it becomes a Top 40 hit.

"The Best Of" drops from the Top 20 on the Catalog charts. This is the first time it's been out of this chart in months.
frown.gif

If you look at the charts from "one year ago" you can nicely see ATYCLB at #5. However, Billboard incorrectly states that the album was out 4 weeks on that chart - whereas, it was only its second week. This proves that even Billboard makes mistakes.
smile.gif

I haven't had the time to do my thorough chart reports in a while. Hopefully this weekend, I can backtrack and gather all the data I need.

Hello,

I once again went searching on the web for actual sales data. My usual source (http://www.sbrcreative.com) only lists the #2, #112 and #100-something albums this week, so they're not of much use. Anyway, on my search I came across the forum of R&R online (topic url: http://websterforum.rronline.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/001723-2.html ) [and it looks like they use the same forum-software as Interference, based on the look of the forum]

Here, someone asked the question I (and maybe others) were wondering for some time.

Originally posted by Muzik333:
Why is there a diference between Hits and Soundscan, are they counting different stores. I'm sure that artist like Hits because soundscan shorts them numbers.

HITS is based on store reports whereas Soundscan is based on actual albums scanned at the registers. And it's different every week. Some albums are higher on Soundscan than on HITS, it changes from week to week.

So now we know why there is a difference between Hits and Billboard.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Doctorwho, where did you find the Billboard info? When I looked the Billboard 200 chart wasn't up yet (there was no chart at all).

------------------

Doctorwho - isn't it possible for an album to increase slightly in sales and not receive a gold background? I just feel that the album must have increased somewhat. Looking at hits and billboard, hits shows about 4 albums that decreased very little 3-5%, but dropped anywhere from 8 to 11 places.

On Billboard there are albums with Gold backgrounds that even dropped one or two spots. U2 only dropped 5 spots, so at the very least they held steady, but I think they probably went up a little bit.

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 11-15-2001).]

It will be interesting to see everyones prediction this week. I think at least 20,000 but not more than 22,000. This should be the week that ATYCLB crosses 3 million units on soundscan! I estimate total sales in the USA now at 3,014,000 soundscan! The shipped figure is probably 3,125,000.
The really big news though is the return of U2 concert BOXSCORES! I don't have time to post it here right now but should this weekend. 12 U2 shows from the third leg are posted this week!

I also want to add that ATYCLB is back to the Top Internet Album sales chart at #25. It's a re-entry, I would estimate it was absent from that chart for 5 months maybe. This means that global sales increased although US sales dropped, probably because Walk On is being slowly released around the world. Or could it also be people slowly preparing for Christmas gifts and ATYCLB could end up being one hot Christmas gift proposal?

Andy

Originally posted by voxson:
I also want to add that ATYCLB is back to the Top Internet Album sales chart at #25. It's a re-entry, I would estimate it was absent from that chart for 5 months maybe.

It re-entered this chart few weeks ago at #23. So its still popular on the net.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom