Week 48 chart news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
In the UK charts ATYCLB drops 11 places. It's now at #64. I think this is one of the lowest (if not the lowest) position it ever had in the UK charts. The Joshua Tree drops 7 places to #70. No other sign of U2 in the UK charts.

The #1 album in the UK is Dido's No Angel (!?!?!?!)

The #1 single in the UK is Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out Of My Head, a really catchy single with a pretty sexi video clip.

Waiting for the others to give their news as well..

Voxson

Hello,

A day later than usual (which seemed like an eternity) but the Dutch results are finally in. And it is unfortunately a sad week for U2's success (numbers courtesy of http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ )
Two weeks ago I talked about tough times for U2 as they were rapidly falling. Last week they seemed to have stabilised. This trend more or less continues for this week as ATYCLB drops 6 places to #43. As they were only four places higher 2 weeks ago I hope the album can stay around this position for some time. In 48 weeks the albums still has never charted below #49 (week 31), so hopefully it will stay that way.
The total run so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The really sad news is that The Best Of 1980-1990 has fallen off the Album Top 100. They were #96 last week and the new entries have pushed the album off the charts. Still, 96 weeks is a respectable number and those who do some quick maths realise the album has dropped off the charts before (96 is less than 2 years and The Best Of... was released almost 3 years ago). So there may be a chance the album bounces back.
The last weeks of The Best Of 1980-1990 were:
57-43-9-10
22-31-48-64-82-96-out of charts
(sorry, don't have data for the other 86 weeks).

The #1 album in the Dutch charts still is V by Live with Alicia Keys' Songs In A Minor as #2.

On the singles front Elevation slips 5 places to #36 in its 12th week. I have to say I'm surprised Elevation is falling quite slowly on the charts
Elevation's run on the charts is now:
11-7-13-17-1-2-3-11-17-17
23-31-36

The #1 song in the Netherlands is Fallin' by Alicia Keys (for a 5th week). Kylie Minogue stays at #2 with Can't Get You Out Of My Head, however she is poised to be the new #1 (the difference was only 5% or so and Alicia Keys had advantage of a better prior week (the Dutch single charts are based on two weeks of sales)).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

In the US charts:

ATYCLB rises 3 spots to #50. The album receives a golden backgound, an indication of increased sales.

In the Billboard Hot 100, Stuck In A Moment rises 3 spots as well, to #55. It receives a golden background for increased airplay as well. It also rises in the Adult Top 40 chart, to #18.

News are good of course, but not great. Small rises in such slow paces are very usually a sign that we're heading close to a decline or a standstill. However, a careful look at the airplay charts shows that Stuck In A Moment is the newest song in the chart positions around it. Most other songs have been in the chart for 5 to 20 weeks and seem to move just as slow, if not slower. It's probably a sign that a song's rise in the Hot 100 can be very long, just as it happened for Beautiful Day.

Andy

Thanks for the info. voxson. I've been hearing "Stuck..." a lot on our local Top 40 station.

Every night at 9:00 they countdown the "top nine at nine." These are the songs that people (mostly teanagers) called in or e-mailed to request during the day.

This station is the main one here for the boy bands. It's THE teeny bopper station, and I hear Stuck a lot on that station. Almost as much as I heard BD. Last night, Stuck was # 5 on their top nine countdown.

In fact, it came in above N'Sync, who were at # 6 with Gone.

Last week, Stuck was at #11 at VH1 top twenty. Hopefully, it'll make the top 10.

in canada, the album rises from 37 way up till 28.

on the airplay chart, stuck in a moment rises yet again, this time by three spots to number 6! beautiful day was their highest hit on the airplays here from this album, and it only made it to 10! very good chance this song could go to number 1, though id hold my breath. only two of the songs above them are going down, and with such company as blu cantrell and nickelback, anything higher than 6 would simply be a bonus.

good news across the board. the one thing id like to see though is stuck rise a little faster on the hot 100 on the us charts. oh well, whatever, theyre only charts.

any of you canadian fans: do you have any "HOT bla bla bla" stations?? i mean, for instance where im from theres a hot 103. theyre pure into the new stuff, top 40 all the way. now do you hear stuck on those stations? i only hear it in the evenings and late at night, and i asked why. they said they break in songs that way, well for crying out loud, its been long enough!! i only hear bd during the drive show, and it pisses me right off already.

------------------
-deathbear

Hey bear.. i barely listen to the radio, but I have heard Stuck on our top40 station.. however I have no idea how often they play it at all since i don't listen much.

Great news on the charts too! stuck at #6! cool!

ya, i know, i hear it too, but only at night. during the drive show, or from anywhere from 7am-6pm for that matter, they never play it. that pisses me off.

------------------
-deathbear

German charts:

ATYCLB drops out of the Top 100 after spending 40 weeks on the charts. I'm quite sure it will re-enter the charts once "Walk On" is released to radio.

Hello,

The Dutch music charts have just published their results over the first 3 quarters of 2001 (so until 30 September 2001). This isn't entirely week 48 related, but as the results became known this week I'll post them in this thread. All numbers and explanations (in Dutch) can be found at: http://web.planet.nl/music/megaman/kwartaal.shtml

On the singles sales top 100 U2 has one entry: new (compared to the results after the 1st half) at #16 is Elevation.

On the album sales top 100 U2 has two entries: staying at #5 is ATYCLB and at #26 is The Best Of 1980-1990. I think both are outstanding achievements. ATYCLB was only one week at the top in 2001, still they have sold about 100,000 records (= platinum) this year alone. This is an estimation as the #1 album (by the Dutch equivalent of Popstars/Hear'Say, etc.) has sold more than 200,000 copies and ATYCLB has sold 44% of that. Furthermore, the difference with #4 (Mark Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia) is only 1 %-point, so they may even overtake him. The #6 record is Destiny's Child's Survivor and they are 7 %-points behind (but they are higher in the current album charts).
I think it is even more impressive for The Best Of 1980-1990. This album did not have many high positions this year (I think only when U2 was playing in the Netherlands) but by selling continuously they have reached #26. This shows that an album lingering in the lower regions for a long time can sell a lot of copies. Impressive!

Finally, U2 are also present on the airplay top 10. Holding tight at #9 is Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (dropping from #5). Keep in mind that this single was released in the Netherlands in January/February. Again, I think this is very impressive, even more so since the single wasn't that big a hit here in the Netherlands (it is currently #114 on the singles sales chart). Hopefully it can hold its position in the top 10, especially since #10 isn't that far behind (only 1 %-point in spins) and I don't have any info of #11 and lower.

Oh, the charts also took a look to the British charts and there ATYCLB is #15 on the albums chart (down from #14 3 months ago).

So I'm very glad ATYCLB is such a big success here in the Netherlands. Hopefully it can keep that #5 position as it will give U2 2 top 5 positions in a row (ATYCLB was the #3 album last year).

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Originally posted by voxson:
In the US charts:

ATYCLB rises 3 spots to #50. The album receives a golden backgound, an indication of increased sales.

In the Billboard Hot 100, Stuck In A Moment rises 3 spots as well, to #55. It receives a golden background for increased airplay as well. It also rises in the Adult Top 40 chart, to #18.

News are good of course, but not great. Small rises in such slow paces are very usually a sign that we're heading close to a decline or a standstill.

The song is stuck in a position that it can't get out of.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Oh, the charts also took a look to the British charts and there ATYCLB is #15 on the albums chart (down from #14 3 months ago).

Marty

I presume you are referring to the `year to date' British album charts ? If so, where can I access them ?

Thanks

Mike

Originally posted by mike63:
I presume you are referring to the `year to date' British album charts ? If so, where can I access them ?

This year-to-date chart was also part of the Dutch overview of the last three months (but then in the section foreign charts). So the only information I have is on: http://web.planet.nl/music/megaman/kwartaal.shtml
And this overview/chart is updated only once every 3 months. So unless you're Dutch I fear you won't understand it that much.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Back
Top Bottom