Week 47 US Chart News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2opia

The Fly
Still Good News for week 47 and continueing optimism. The time difference here in OZ allows me to give you this good news to you folks stateside.

ATYCLB is number 53 on the album charts this week - up from 66 last week. Another 13 place rise more than matching last weeks rise of 12 places (78 - 66)

The album is still rising fast and perhaps this indicates there is still a little gas left in the tank. It should re-enter the top 50 next week, but how far it rises up from here long term could depend on Stuck as we all have discussed - JLo's album being reinvogorated by a hit single is a classic case of this as indictated by Dr Who. Either way - with the tour soon to commence the album should at least stay in the top 100 for another couple of months.

It is moments like these that bands such as U2 shine - imagine how emotional the concerts will be in the US

No sign of Stuck in the top 50 (62 I think last week), but it is now number 19 on the Adult Top 40 (21 last week) and is tagged as airpower (increases in audiences and detections).

Best Of is number 6 this week (5 last week)in the Pop Catalog charts.

No sign of triple platinum status - but must be very very close.

The album has finally dropped out of the top 50 in Australia (after something like 45-46 weeks) - but hopefully another single will kick it back into the top 50. It is awfully close to being certified 5X platinum in Australia (350,000 copies)

Hope things are looking up in Gods Country and the Big Apple. Being in New York last November and the WTC, hard to believe it is gone. Listened to Wake Up Dead Man for the first time in years - now that is a powerful song in these times.

Chow

Utopia

Stuck In A moment continues its rise in the Billboard 100 as it rises to #58!! It's not an incredible jump but it's still a good sign. As doctorwho, or someone else, has pointed out it was a critical week for Stuck since with other U2 songs also being played on the radio we really couldn't know how Stuck would be affected. I also want to point out that Stuck received a Golden Background which means increased airplay, so we know for sure that its rise is due to increased airplay and not because of some other situation (like many drops from the higher positions). The fact that Stuck also rises in the Adult top 40 is a good sign. I would also say that it's a good sign that Stuck is having a success in the Billboard Hot 100 without being a HUGE hit in any other chart. It means that it receives ariplay in all kinds of radio stations.

Andy

This is indeed good news.
smile.gif

With the numbers provided by Doctorwho I think the estimate of last weeks sales is about 26-27,000 copies, bringing the total sales of ATYCLB to 2,853(4),000 copies. Will it break the 3 million barrier before its 1st aniversary? We shall see...

Oh, I also checked Billboard and seeing the charts makes the rise of ATYCLB even more impressive. There are 9 debuts in the chart that charted higher than ATYCLB. In other words, ATYCLB has passed 22 albums that were in the charts last week! Talk about an achievement.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
With the numbers provided by Doctorwho I think the estimate of last weeks sales is about 26-27,000 copies, bringing the total sales of ATYCLB to 2,853(4),000 copies. Will it break the 3 million barrier before its 1st aniversary? We shall see...

After some superficial research it appears I have to correct my statement. I just found a site with Soundscan numbers of some debuts and the #50 record (a debut by Collective Soul) sold about 22,000 records. This means that ATYCLB probably has sold about 21,000 copies last week (so 5,000 less than the estimate). This brings the total to 2,849,000 but I'm still hoping it will break the 3 million barrier at its 1st birthday.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Thanks popmartijn for the numbers. I still think that overall music sales are a little slower right now because of everything going on with the attacks and the economy.

U2's jump is again very impressive! and this makes their last 5 weeks go like this:
108-104-78-66-53. That's a rise of 55 spots over the last 5 weeks which is incredible. I think this weeks rise is definitely due to the amount of airplay that U2 is getting on radio, MTV, and VH1 right now after the NY/DC tragedy. I believe this is the case because of the dramatic rise of Enya, which also is getting a lot of post-tragedy airplay.

Here are some other interesting charts stats from this week.

Jay-Z remains at number 1 (and man does he suck)
smile.gif

Tori Amos has the highest new debut at number 4.

Enya is the Greatest Gainer going from 19 to 7! this week

Live has a dissapointing debut at number 22.

Mariah Carey's embarrassing new project 'Glitter' drops from it's lousy debut at number 7 to number 17.

'nsync drops from 16 to 24

Also, now that U2 is at number 53
smile.gif
They are ahead of many BIG name releases that they have been sitting behind for a while.

Janet at #54
Weezer at #61
Tim McGraw at #62
Limp Bizkit at #69!!!!!! finally!!!!
Blink 182 at #75
Dave Matthews at #77

So as you can see U2 is doing extraordinarily well. Especially considering that their album has been out over twice as long as most of the albums listed above.

I think we will see them break the top 50 next week because I think that is when we will see the biggest effects from the TV special. I am guessing around #48. Although a lot depends on the new debuts coming out. I would expect next week to be a little slower since the past two weeks have been jam packed.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your info!

indeed this is all very good news! i will update the canadian charts when they are updated in a few hours from now.

------------------
-death bear

similiar things in canada.

first of all, the album rises to number 37 from 39 this week.

on the airplay chart, stuck rises to number 9 from 16. this, might i add is very similiar to the HOT100 that billboard has. this big of a jump at the top of the charts is very promising. elevation peaked at 15 on this chart. im not sure about walk on or beautiful day, but i do believe the latter reached the top.

on the singles front, ELEVATION drops another spot to number 4 (part 2), while part 1 drops to 6.

another extremely solid week for u2. the album has been out for nearly 11 months and is still showing strong in every sense of the word.

------------------
-deathbear

A correction here: If ATYCLB sold 21,000 copies this week, then total sales are now 2,858,000 as they were 2,837,000 last week according to Dr. Who.

Well week 47 results are in, so what else but to look forward to week 48
smile.gif
!

Looking at a couple of sales indicators (amazon and cdnow) I have noticed that the album rose on both of their charts early this week, but yesterday starting declining a bit. Now these charts in no way provide us with any detail on chart position, but they are fairly reliable in following the same trends as the Billboard chart. What this tells us, is that ATYCLB most likely will rise again in the charts in week 48, but will peak and start to decline a bit after that (unless something extraordinary happens like a tv special, award show or something).

I do expect that with the continued airplay of Stuck and Walk On and with the tour starting very shortly, that the album will decline slower than it increased. It increased 55 spots in 5 weeks! Hopefully it will take a lot longer than that to go back down out of the top 100.

Thanks Sting for being on top of the total numbers.

I am looking ahead to next week (as usual)
smile.gif
and it looks fairly promising for U2 to make another significant rise. Why? Well lets take a look.

They will most likely receieve a small boost from the television special where they kicked some ass with Walk On...

then looking at the albums that surround them right now on the charts, there really are no albums that are rising. All of them around U2 are falling, some of them in a big way.

Some albums that U2 should pass by on next weeks chart and their chart performance this week:
Michael W. Smith - 20 to 38!
Collective Soul - weak debut at number 50
Aaron Carter 41-48
Drowning Pool - 34 to 47!
Disturbed - weak debut at number 45
Tough Enough - weak debut at number 46
Sum 41 - 36 to 44
D12 - 45 to 51
Jagged Little Thrill - 49 to 52

The only album underneath U2 that is rising and within striking distance is the Hardball soundtrack which had a big rise from 86 to 57!

With only two or three debuts coming out this week, U2 looks like they could have another really good week on the charts.

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
After some superficial research it appears I have to correct my statement. I just found a site with Soundscan numbers of some debuts and the #50 record (a debut by Collective Soul) sold about 22,000 records. This means that ATYCLB probably has sold about 21,000 copies last week (so 5,000 less than the estimate). This brings the total to 2,849,000 but I'm still hoping it will break the 3 million barrier at its 1st birthday.

C ya!

Marty

DoctorWho reporting from Spain here - at an internet cafe (never used one of these before...
smile.gif
).

Thanks Popmartijn for the info on sales. Typically the numbers I reported would be correct, but obviously sales are still suffereing due to the tragedies of Sept. 11th. Still, for ATYCLB to jump up to No.23 with sales of over 21,000 copies is impressive! That?s a 55 spot jump in just 5 weeks - once again proving the power of a hit single. The odd thing, for me at least, is that I thought "Elevation" would cause this jump, not "Stuck..." Live and learn!
wink.gif

On a side note, please check this site for information I asked about the Canadian charts. That?s my letter to Nanda Lwin. This should answer all your questions DeathBear. "Stuck..." becomes U2?s biggest hit off of ATYCLB on the airplay charts, surpassing even "Beautiful Day!"

I?m glad to see "Stuck..." rise on the U.S. charts. Melissa, who normally sends me SoundScan data (when she receives it) sent me some info. on the airplay charts - and the song went down on all formats. However, I?ve noticed that the airplay charts (like Gavin) don?t always correspond to Billboard?s charts.

See you all soon! And thanks for the updates!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-30-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom