Weakest 'Album Tracks'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
What songs do you usually or sometimes skip over (if any) when listening to the albums? Does your list look like mine?

1. Shadows & Tall Trees: Doesn't seem to go with the tempo of the album.

2. Drowning Man: I like the violin but the song gets monotonous after a while and I can't wait to skip to the fantastic Refugee.

3. Elvis Presley & America: Never understood what was going on here!

4. Trip Through Your Wires: Feels a little out of place in the midst of serious gems like In God's Country and One Tree Hill.

5. I Still Haven't Found (live from R&H): Always skip over this one, too much gospel for me.

6. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms: A chillin' tune in the middle of a loud album.

7. Some Days Are Better Than Others: Not as addictive as Daddy's Gonna Pay + poor lyrics

8. If God Will Send His Angels: I actually like this song but again the chill mood doesn't always work after the Mofo attack.

9. Stuck In A Moment/Wild Honey/In A Little While/Grace: ATYCLB didn't really do it for me as a complete album.

Usually when I skip songs, it's not because I don't like them but because I want to get to another track that I really like and want to hear. But there are a few I skip because I find them weak.

1. Red Light - The one and only U2 song that I consider to actually be bad.
2. Whatever the hell that Freedom For My People thing is.
3. The Playboy Mansion - plods along aimlessly.
4. In A Little While and Wild Honey - don't really like either of these songs.

On ATYCLB I skip over Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World, New York and Grace.

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
On ATYCLB I skip over Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World, New York and Grace.

SMB

oh man... that's brutal :lol:

unnamed_streets said:
What songs do you usually or sometimes skip over (if any) when listening to the albums? Does your list look like mine?

1. Shadows & Tall Trees: Doesn't seem to go with the tempo of the album.

2. Drowning Man: I like the violin but the song gets monotonous after a while and I can't wait to skip to the fantastic Refugee.

3. Elvis Presley & America: Never understood what was going on here!

Wow!! Those are my favourite songs from those 3 albums!!

My list of weak tracks includes:

Playboy Mansion
In A Little While
4th of July
Scarlet
One Tree Hill
Wanderer

I usually skip the following. Sometimes because of the song itself, and sometimes just so I can get to the song after it.

The Ocean
Stranger in a Strange Land
Like a Song
The Refugee
4th of July
Still Haven't Found live version on R&H
The Playboy Mansion
Wild Honey
Grace
One Step Closer

Another Time, Another Place
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
Red Light
Indian Summer Sky
Trip Through Your Wires
Freedom for my People
Love is Blindness
Somedays are Better Than Others
Mofo *i prefer the phunk phorce mix, but hey, thatz just me*
Grace
and One Step Closer

Shadows And Tall Trees
ITABTAW
Like A Song
4th of July, if that counts
Mothers Of The Disappeared

Honestly, i cant think of much from the 90s

2861U2 said:

Honestly, i cant think of much from the 90s

That's cos the 90s were awesome!!!

I can't believe somebody mentioned Refugee. Those drums... oh my god, those drums and Bono's shouts... can't get enough of it.

not that I skip it or anything

but I'd have to say Bullet the Blue Sky, simply because the live version is just THAT much better

Shawn Bonneau said:
that's exactly what i was going to say, seriously!

okay, i'm overly critical here:
bullet the blue sky (so much better live)
bad (same thing)
one (sorry...it doesn't do much for me!)
most of the live songs on rattle and hum*
is that all? - the album would've been better had it ended with scarlet
love rescue me - i really, REALLY have to be in the mood for this song.
when love comes to town - i don't like the version on rattle and hum that much.
so cruel
stay (faraway, so close!)
if god will send his angels
the playboy mansion
the second half of atomic bomb

* someone made me this cool live cd featuring several songs that didn't make it onto the cd, like exit and running to stand still. i can't believe these were left off in favour of pride and i still haven't found...!

Top Ten Weakest Album Tracks:

1. Miami
2. Wake Up Dead Man (not bad live though)
3. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
4. Mofo (lots of good remixes out there though, also rocks live)
5. Crumbs From Your Table
6. Please (U2's most overrated track by fans)
7. Elvis Presley And America
8. Love Rescue Me
9. God Part II
10. Original Of The Species

KhanadaRhodes said:

that's exactly what i was going to say, seriously!

okay, i'm overly critical here:
bullet the blue sky (so much better live)
bad (same thing)
one (sorry...it doesn't do much for me!)
most of the live songs on rattle and hum*
is that all? - the album would've been better had it ended with scarlet
love rescue me - i really, REALLY have to be in the mood for this song.
when love comes to town - i don't like the version on rattle and hum that much.
so cruel
stay (faraway, so close!)
if god will send his angels
the playboy mansion
the second half of atomic bomb

Oh my God, One and Stay are like my no.1 and no.2 of all time!

A Day Without Me
Most of October (especially the last three songs)
Drowning Man
Elvis presley and America (My favourite album has to have a bad song)
Exit (Well, I can't freaking hear it without turning up the volume!)
Acrobat (It just doesn't do it for me)
The First Time
Miami, When I Look At The World, Crumbs (It must be the curse of track 8)

Is That All? (cos the album should've ended with Scarlet)
Red Light ("da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da. DA DA DA" - say no more)
The First Time (tho it came alive when linked into Bullet on ZooTV)
Miami (tho it became better for me when played live)
Trying To Throw...(but it sets you up for the 3 classics at the end - yes Axver, that's THREE classics!):wink:
When I Look At The World
One Step Closer (like it, but it slows the album down a little too much for me)

Aardvark747 said:
Trying To Throw...(but it sets you up for the 3 classics at the end - yes Axver, that's THREE classics!):wink:

It seems you're a little confused. We don't count 1, 3, 2, 4 [well, maybe Bono does]; we count 1, 2, 3, 4. You mean 2.

:wink:

Boy - don't skip songs, but I sometimes skip that part of An Cat Dubn where Bono makes weird barking noises. They just creep me out.

October - the entire second half

Unforgettable Fire - sometimes Elvis Presley & America

JT - Bullet (so much better live), Exit

R&H - Love Rescue Me, Heartland, all live tracks except Bullet and Helter Skelter

AB - So Cruel

Zooropa - Some Days..., Babyface

POP - Miami, Playboy Mansion, Velvet Dress

ATYCLB - sometimes When I Look at the World

HTDAAB - sometimes Yahweh

It's amazing how everyone talks about how underrated "Heartland" is, but whenever someone says they don't like it...OH MY GOD, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU NOT LIKE "HEARTLAND," THAT'S UNHEARD OF.

About half of Boy and October

UF - 4th of July

JT -With or Without You :ohmy: (on R&H and Slane performance I listen only to "we shine like stars..." part) , Running To Stand Still (the live version, especially from ZooTV, is so much better), Trip Through Your Wires

R&H - ALL live stuff (Bullet became great live on ZooTV, IMO not before), Van Diemens Land (sorry, I like Edge's voice, but only on Numb, Miracle Drug and as a background for Bono :p), Love Rescue Me (never liked this song)

AB - So Cruel (happens to listen, but rare)

Zooropa - The Wanderer (don't like the Johnny Cash vocals and the style of the song)

Pop - If You Were That Velvet Dress (possibly the worst production of a U2 song, but it was great live after Discotheque)

ATYCLB - Wild Honey, When I Look At The World, Grace

HTDAAB - A Man and a Woman (I don't think it will grown on me)

What's with everyone skipping So Cruel?? This is one of the best songs ever. It has the most bitter lyric I think Bono has ever written, matching the dark music perfectly. So Cruel is in my top 10 U2 songs of all time.

4th of july
EP & America
Indian summer sky
2nd half of ATYCLB
Like a song
Yahweh
Some days are better than others

not in any order but Bono and co deserve to be shot for concocting these stains on their otherwise awesome back catalogue.

The original post asked for "weak album tracks" so I think a more thoughtful explanation on why it is weak is more appropriate. I don't think a song is weak just because "it just doesn't do it for me" or "I don't like it." We should try to explain WHY we don't like it.

Here are some of mine:

1. Mofo (from POP) - weak lyrics, and not representative of U2 sound since many of the sound elements are not reproducable live (and one of the reasons why Mofo was one of the worst live songs ever of U2)

2. New York (from ATYCLB) - plods along at the start with its spoken word style and the chorus melody just doesn't remind you of the the real New York (unlike Miami which really did sound like you were in Miami)

3. Love And Peace Or Else (from HTDAAB) - a budget/economy version of Sunday Bloody Sunday; the song takes you to sleep before it gains momentum, and when it does gain momentun it is nothing but a Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus" ripoff; lyrics are predictable and shallow

It's quite hard to find a weak track in Achtung or Joshua Tree. And I don't really have time to discuss the other albums so I'll just deal with the three most recent. Other weak U2 tracks that did not feature in any album or only featured in a compiltion album include Electrical Storm and Stateless -both lifeless songs.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom