we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Um, no. Way to fucking miss the point. It means I don't listen to shitty eighties ballads that ten year old girls poured their hearts out to. I know thousands of them exist. So do you!

Fair enough. It's your opinion and I'm fine with it. I love One too much to simply dismiss it as a sentimental 80s ballad.

Although... I'm not fine with your bat shit insane opinion that Ultraviolet sounds like a boy band. :coocoo: :wink:

No spoken words said:
Disagree with the 2nd. Every U2 show I go to, I look around and watch people listen to One, since I'm a bit tired of it. People love it.

... just like they love other hits. Look around during Beautiful Day, WOWY, ISHFWILF, Desire, SBS, NYD, AIWIY, etc. U2 have so many hits that One would not be seriously missed and no U2 show would be weaker for its omission. Remember back in 1992 how Bono responded when the fact they weren't playing their pre-UF classics was raised? His message was that a U2 show isn't dependent on the performance of any one classic. U2 don't need fans who are dependent on one song for their enjoyment of a concert. Are U2 still bold enough to not rely on a song every night? Do they still have that faith in themselves? I hope so.

by Axver

One fucking sucks blah blah blah

Axver, YOU fucking suck. :lol: I'd like to see you write anything that comes remotely even close to the beauty of One.

hey guess what One haters? YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED, by far. Not only in the in the world in general, but in the very thread created to hate on it. Get over it. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
Fair enough. It's your opinion and I'm fine with it. I love One too much to simply dismiss it as a sentimental 80s ballad.

It's just overwrought, like it's desperately grasping for meaning, hence my comparison. I can just see some 15 year old girl shedding a tear and belting out "we're one but we're not the saaaaame!"

Way to be a walking, talking, singing cliche, Bono.

Axver said:

Here's a tip: read for a fucking change.

Because I'm not going to spam the thread like some of you have been doing, I'll re-post this just once. Hopefully the bold text of the quote will help you to get it this time.

Wow, such anger! :drool: ;)

Um... I did read your post there... the first time! You were talking about the frequency of live versions. I was talking about the lameness of the live version. I was thinking that the lameness of the live version is perhaps influencing your hatred towards the studio version. But if not, then go ahead and continue hating the studio version. I'll step out of the way!

I was going to respond to NSW about fans enjoying it during the show, but Axver pretty much beat me to the punch.

Yeah, they love it during the show, but would a lot of them leave the concert saying "Man, I wish they'd played One"? Some, sure - but I think its loss would be felt less than if they took WOWY or Pride out of the setlist.

gabrielvox said:
Axver, YOU fucking suck. :lol: I'd like to see you write anything that comes remotely even close to the beauty of One.

Well, One has no beauty, so that can't be hard.

hey guess what One haters? YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED, by far.

OH NOES.

You want a tyranny of majority opinions, eh?

Some of us have different tastes to you. GET THE FUCK OVER IT. One reason for this thread is because so often, those of us who don't toe the line and like One get outright dismissed. We shouldn't be. We have reasons for disliking the song, and maybe some of you ultra-passionate defenders should shut up for a second and listen, rather than covering your ears and saying "YOU fucking suck" and "YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED" like you're a child and only hold an opinion if other people agree with you.

Zootlesque said:
I was talking about the lameness of the live version. I was thinking that the lameness of the live version is perhaps influencing your hatred towards the studio version. But if not, then go ahead and continue hating the studio version. I'll step out of the way!

Righto.

I should state for the record, both to clarify my position and to dispel the "you hate One because of the live version" argument once and for all, that the ONLY version of One that I think has any merit is, wait for it, a live version. 23 September 1997, Sarajevo. That has the meaning and significance that the studio version and all other live versions have been incapable of achieving.

Axver said:

than covering your ears and saying "YOU fucking suck" and "YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED" like you're a child and only hold an opinion if other people agree with you.

Holy fuck, talk about irony. I'm playing on your bombast, Axver. I'm not the one who initiated the claims of the majority of anyones, that was you. See other thread.

As in the other thread, somehow you've deluded yourself to believe that you and your minority, much less almost anyone on this entire forum, is a 'casual / average U2 fan'. Fact is, we're not. WE'RE the minority, and the MAJORITY of U2 fans out there who get to see one show per tour, if they are lucky, absolutely love the song.

The Modena version with strings is by far my favorite live version of it. But even that one is a bit too weepy for me. Just doesn't capture the classic timeless spirit of the album version. :shrug:

Plus the ending falsetto is soooooooo much better on the album version compared to the live versions. I'll stop now since this is a One hate thread. :happy:

corianderstem said:
I was going to respond to NSW about fans enjoying it during the show, but Axver pretty much beat me to the punch.

Yeah, they love it during the show, but would a lot of them leave the concert saying "Man, I wish they'd played One"? Some, sure - but I think its loss would be felt less than if they took WOWY or Pride out of the setlist.

I did not say that such a thing was just cause for playing it over and over. I did mention being sick of it. But to say that fans will not miss it that much is false. I actually think more people would miss it than people that would miss Pride.

No spoken words said:
I actually think more people would miss it than people that would miss Pride.

Interesting, grasshopper.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could take a survey after a concert and ask people what songs they really wanted to hear, or if they were bummed that a certain song wasn't played?

(And yes, by cool I mean "totally geeky and awesome.")

gabrielvox said:
As in the other thread, somehow you've deluded yourself to believe that you and your minority, much less almost anyone on this entire forum, is a 'casual / average U2 fan'.

What the hell are you even talking about? I believe that I'm a casual fan? Oh, yeah, casual fans totally run U2 setlist databases.

Please at least TRY to make sense.

Fact is, we're not. WE'RE the minority, and the MAJORITY of U2 fans out there who get to see one show per tour, if they are lucky, absolutely love the song.

Just like they love IWF, SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, AIWIY, EBTTRT, MW, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc. What is your point? U2 are overflowing with classics the casual fans love. That doesn't mean they have to play every single one of them live.

I also find your attitude towards casual fans insulting. That they are so small minded that they won't enjoy a show as much if they don't get certain specific requests, and that they are oblivious to all but the biggest hits. That's completely not true and you know it. All the casual fans I have taken to concerts have identified other songs as highlights - The Electric Co., Party Girl, One Tree Hill. In fact, one casual fan I took, indeed a person who when she was ten sung along to My Heart Will Go On and loves U2's radio hits, said that One was boring and that she thought Streets, COBL, and An Cat Dubh were much better. So much for your stereotypes of casual fans.

corianderstem said:

Wouldn't it be cool if we could take a survey after a concert and ask people what songs they really wanted to hear, or if they were bummed that a certain song wasn't played?

It would be cool, yes. As you define cool, of course. :)

Pride is another song where I take a look around and watch people watch the band. I even did it during U23D for One and Pride.

corianderstem said:
I love lamp.

I :heart:

porcupine.jpg
winter_tree.jpg

Zootlesque said:
Studio version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Live version (including "do you hear us coming lord" verse)

False. The studio version is very average. It has a horrible outro. The "do you hear us coming Lord" verse gives it an outro. Hence:

Zoo TV and Popmart >>>>>>>>>>>>> Studio >>>>>>>>>>>>> Vertigo >>>>> Elevation

nathan1977 said:
Um, mods? Is this thing closeable yet?

Let's hope not. It'd be nice if the rabid One supporters, especially Mr gabrielvox, would avoid turning this into a flame war so that those of who don't like the song can actually have a thread rather than being jumped on at every single bloody instance. People such as the tourist and liamcool haven't even had a chance to chime in yet.

nathan1977 said:
Um, mods? Is this thing closeable yet?

Aw c'mon! Just because they hate One doesn't mean the thread has to be closed. They're entitled to their opinion however wrong it may be... just kidding. :wink:

I did enjoy hearing both One and Pride in the U23D flick. They felt almost new, and that made me be all "yay!"

corianderstem said:

My guess would be most people (the majority of people at a concert being casual fans) would be very happy if they played all their hits and nothing else.

The rabid fans would be horrified by this of course.

Zootlesque said:
lol. good one. :hi5:

Are you serious? You can't tell me that the outro of the album version doesn't lack epicness, as I said on page three. The songs lacks a peak.

indra said:
My guess would be most people (the majority of people at a concert being casual fans) would be very happy if they played all their hits and nothing else.

Ha! True. Amazing, when you stop to think about it. U2's had such a long and prosperous career, they COULD fill two hours with nothing but their hits.

indra said:

I agree, and this is no insult to casual fans at all.

If I went and saw a band and I only knew their hits, a few deep cuts might be nice, but I have to admit, I'd want to hear the songs I knew.

But, there are certain hits I always want to hear, most notably New Year's Day and Streets. Every rabid fan has a few "hits" they'd not soon part with, and that's what makes threads like this so circular.

phillyfan26 said:
Are you serious? You can't tell me that the outro of the album version doesn't lack epicness, as I said on page three. The songs lacks a peak.

Agree to disagree, pfan! Agree to disagree! You cannot convince me that the album version is in any way inferior to the live version. It's not possible. :wink:

indra said:

You were the last person who I expected would assume casual fans are that vapid.

From my own experience, I know they're not. My favourite example is the extremely casual fan I took to Vertigo Brisbane who simply couldn't believe U2 didn't play Silver And Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom