we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Only if you destroy 1,000 copies of the One single.

Some of you may be surprised to know I own a mint copy of the One single. It's mint for a reason though.

«Wow, I am so important in this forum that everybody needs to know that even after almost cutting my wrists on this thread to prove that "One" sucks... in the end I have a copy of the single.»

"It's mint though"?!... Cum on!...:|

Aygo said:
Well, it's too bad that even you, Sicy cooperate to a mate of yours - Khanada. It's a shame that both allowed opening this thread (it's even more shameful that Khanada opened it) after its previous context and kept it opened.

I really dont like the tone you have towards the moderators / administrators here.

Yeh, I hate Eno too.....what? oh....'One'....sorry...

I'm gonna start a new thread "We fucking hate this thread, and here's why".

Sorry guys, but this is school kid stuff.

(and I realise the irony of posting in a thread that I think is childish....na naaaa na naaa naaaa)

:madspit:

Axver said:

Continued inflammatory personal attacks such as the above are why, with the exception of this solitary sentence, I have continued to fail to respond to you.

Get over yourself. Your critique was rife with vulgar statements and displayed a lack of any real insight. I'm not attacking you personally, I'm opinin g on your comments. I'm not the only one who thought so. :shrug:

Maybe it could be that One's just good, not great, and that there ARE better U2 songs out there (including on Achtung Baby). Maybe I have given specific reasons I don't like One. Maybe the vehement defenders of One aren't big fans of, you know reading.

I think my list earlier was:
- Uninteresting rhythm section.
- Lack of a decent outro.
- No peak / no epic factor.

phillyfan26 said:

I think my list earlier was:
- Uninteresting rhythm section.
- Lack of a decent outro.
- No peak / no epic factor.

I spoke to your list, I think it's off a bit, especially on the last two counts There is a peak / epic factor, that's my opinion and some other songwriters / music critics that I think know a bit more than you and I, but hey.

pfan try not to be hypocritical with the jabs, huh? I think we're moving past that now.

gabrielvox said:
Nice try, but not a pass. I gave your thoughts on the song some consideration, but I haven't heard anything except some vulgar rantings, and musings that to me clearly indicate a complete lack of understanding of both the song and what it takes to write a great piece of music.

On the other hand, many other posters have outlined in very specific terms why the song is a great one.

You continue to make posts like this, though. I made that list (which you admit you read) pages and pages ago.

Dude, I wasn't addressing you, cmon now. I already responded to your list. That was not a response to your list, you know that.

I'll be honest, I find the premise flattering, but I think you sometimes hold me to a higher standard of 'conduct' or posting etiquette than others here. I'm not inflaming anyone. I think it's a tad naive to believe that one can come on a U2 fan forum and post page after page of negativity in the manner done and not be told at some point "hey - dude - stop talking crap". I'm just as much for free speech on this forum as anyone else, but when you exercise your right, you do open yourself up, as I've experienced personally many times. Works both ways bro. :shrug:

Last edited:
Sicy said:

I really dont like the tone you have towards the moderators / administrators here.

I am sorry Sicy, but I'm not gonna stop saying the things just because they affect you and because they're true. You're aware (and I repit that) that this thread was an error, considering the context it was created (see the other thread connected to this one). I condemn the fact that was created by a moderator (a member that has extra responsabilities on the forum) and I condemn too the fact that you supported it. Again, this is my opinion, and I'm not gonna stop from saying it whether is directed to Axver (which seems to be more important than mods hierarchycally) or to the Mods - I am entitled to have it. I'm not offending anyone with this and I'm writting it, even if my english is not very good and has errors (as someone on the forum accused me in the lack of arguments a few months ago... I didn't check the old files, but I remember who said that, don't worry).

When you say, "many posters have outlined how 'One' is great," it makes it seem like you're talking about all the One detractors first, and all the One defenders second.

My logic in believing you to be addressing everyone who made arguments against One was simply based on assuming the consistency of your subject.

If that was just towards Axver, fair enough. Well, not fair enough, but I will stop defending my list, anyway.

Aygo said:
I am sorry Sicy, but I'm not gonna stop saying the things just because they affect you and because they're true. You're aware (and I repit that) that this thread was an error, considering the context it was created (see the other thread connected to this one). I condemn the fact that was created by a moderator (a member that has extra responsabilities on the forum) and I condemn too the fact that you supported it. Again, this is my opinion, and I'm not gonna stop from saying it whether is directed to Axver (which seems to be more important than mods hierarchycally) or to the Mods - I am entitled to have it. I'm not offending anyone with this and I'm writting it, even if my english is not very good and has errors (as someone on the forum accused me in the lack of arguments a few months ago... I didn't check the old files, but I remember who said that, don't worry).

The thread was not a personal attack on a member or on the band, just a critique of one of the band's songs. What's the problem here?

I think the only problem has been generalizing by the most vehement detractors and defenders of the song.

phillyfan26 said:
When you say, "many posters have outlined how 'One' is great," it makes it seem like you're talking about all the One detractors first, and all the One defenders second.

My logic in believing you to be addressing everyone who made arguments against One was simply based on assuming the consistency of your subject.

If that was just towards Axver, fair enough. Well, not fair enough, but I will stop defending my list, anyway.

I'd like to concede the point, but I gotta remind you that I was directly addressing a quoted post. And "many posters have..." was in a separate paragraph.

I probably should have made honorable mention of your list in the first paragraph, you're right.

getalong2.jpg

phillyfan26 said:

The thread was not a personal attack on a member or on the band, just a critique of one of the band's songs.

Well there's always the spin-off thread rule, and I think it could be argued that the initiation of the thread ie the title could be seen as deliberately inciteful? One way of looking at it I suppose...

I would say that I feel, and perhaps I'm just too sensitive about the song (it means a hell of alot to me) that the first criticisms did come off as being fairly derisive of those who would like the song. Perhaps I completely misread that.

The spin-off thread rule is a rule for threads the have closed.

Wouldn't a thread titled, "Thread of People Who Hate One" mean the exact same thing? I don't think just because she used the word "fuck" that people should be crying for closing this thread. Fuck is like the third most common used phrase on this board, behind U2 and LOL.

phillyfan26 said:

Wouldn't a thread titled, "Thread of People Who Hate One" mean the exact same thing? I don't think just because she used the word "fuck" that people should be crying for closing this thread. Fuck is like the third most common used phrase on this board, behind U2 and LOL.

Is this confirmed?

phillyfan26 said:

The thread was not a personal attack on a member or on the band, just a critique of one of the band's songs. What's the problem here?

I think the only problem has been generalizing by the most vehement detractors and defenders of the song.

I didn't talk about personal attacks, philly. That came a few pages after the opening of the thread.
But I seem to consider two things: the CONTEXT this thread was opened (that means, see the other one); the context that "One" exists (doesn't matter if we - diehards - like it or not): most people seem not to get it.

Aygo said:
I didn't talk about personal attacks, philly. That came a few pages after the opening of the thread.
But I seem to consider two things: the CONTEXT this thread was opened (that means, see the other one); the context that "One" exists (doesn't matter if we - diehards - like it or not): most people seem not to get it.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

phillyfan26 said:

In a the most literal interpretation of the rule, yes. I think the principle is applied before threads are closed, however, when the mods merge threads.

My favorite phrases are the ones that use U2 and fuck in the same sentence...especially in IO..LOL.. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

Depends: do we have to go powerjuice to get it confirmed?

We have to go political first, but, yeah, we're gonna have to go powerjuice eventually.

People:

Is it getting better
Or do you feel the same
Will it make it easier on you now
You got someone to blame
You say...

One love
One life
When it's one need
In the night
One love
We get to share it
Leaves you baby if you
Don't care for it

Did I disappoint you
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without
Well it's...

Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One...

Have you come here for forgiveness
Have you come to raise the dead
Have you come here to play Jesus
To the lepers in your head

Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

One...life

Hug it out.

liamcool said:
That's right.

One's guitar tone sounds like a bull being raped by a four wheel drive, and all the instruments that are meant to be in the background are in the front and centre of the mix.

Sounds like the vast majority of Achtung Baby then.

Don't get me started on the atrocity that is the mixing on WGRYWH and Love Is Blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom