We Almost Made It This Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
Anyone else love this (almost) song from U2, heard/seen from the R&H Outtakes? After over 16 years, U2 still has not released this or anything originally evolving from this beginnings of a song.

I thought it was definitely the better of the two (the other being Blow Your House Down) outtakes. It had such raw emotion emanating from Bono's voice as he tried to find a matching melody for the guitar.

The chords are easy enough that I will steal this song if it doesn't get put out in another, say, 5 years. :|

Yes, I really like We Almost Made It This Time / Prisoner Of Love also.

I'm probably wrong (as always :wink: ) but I have a feeling it might have eventually developed into Love Rescue Me.

I bet there are hundreds of songs in the vaults of that kind of calibre, probably unfinished and unmixed etc., but nonetheless the beginnings of potentially great songs.

That Beach Hut session is great, a really good, albeit very short, insight into their songwriting process.

I love the bit where Bono gets a little adgitated by Edge who gets sidetracked for a minute or two with another song. Classic stuff :)

Last edited:
The chords are a bit different on Love Rescue Me, but the feel is there. That reminds me, I love the part when Bono was dictating to The Edge how to play the chords. Edge keeps messing it up (or at least playing it to Bono's dissatisfaction). Edge finally says, "here you show me."

Bono takes the guitar and sings the song, making the appropriate chord changes. The Edge finally concedes and says, "Oh, right." Such a classic moment where Bono is actually correcting The Edge on a guitar-related dispute. :uhoh:

Bonogirl, there's a four-tape (prob can find it in DVD now) bootleg of Rattle and Hum Outtakes that was leaked in the early 90's. Maybe someone can take bits and pieces and distribute them here.

Any takers?

I have the outtakes on both VHS and DVD.

The DVD set spans four discs, and as I understand was transferred from the Master VHS. The outtakes cover numerous different things from the second half of 1987, including soundchecks, out-takes from several live shows, limousine rides, Harlem Baptist Church with the New Voices Of Freedom, Edge & Bono on Long Island, visit to Graceland etc.

I think the DVD's are missing some of the footage that is on the videos. I'm sure I have more stuff on video from these outtakes than on DVD. Will have to check some time.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants a copy of the discs mail me privately, and maybe we can arrange a trade or b&p.

Back
Top Bottom