"We Almost Lost A Brother Last Night."-Popmart Mexico City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Bono said this during the intro to ISHFWILF. Who was Bono referring to?

If you know, you get a prize!(well, actually you get nothing, but your help would be much appreciated)

Thanks.

I think I remember hearing that it was in reference to the bodyguard who was beaten up the night before, who goes by the name of Jerry Meltzer

...I think....therefore I am...
smile.gif

I think I remember what happened- the President of Mexico's son? someone Imporant's son wanted to go backstage and see the band. and obviously the U2 bodyguards were like, no way. and this guys' bodyguards started to fight with them, and I think they busted up Jerry's knees or something awful. So he was in the hospital because of that- and I heard the band was pretty pissed about the incident and wanted an apology but wouldn't get one. I think that's the story.

------------------
Well you can bump and grind If it's good for your mind
Well you can twist and shout Let it all hang out
But you won't fool the children of the revolution

U2 Take Me Higher

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
I think I remember what happened- the President of Mexico's son? someone Imporant's son wanted to go backstage and see the band. and obviously the U2 bodyguards were like, no way. and this guys' bodyguards started to fight with them, and I think they busted up Jerry's knees or something awful. So he was in the hospital because of that- and I heard the band was pretty pissed about the incident and wanted an apology but wouldn't get one. I think that's the story.

Okay, I'm getting confused.

I heard the same reason -- but when they came back stage, they were setting up and one of the techs pushed the president's son over because of a falling spotlight, and then the president's son got mad at the tech and refused to apologize, even though the tech saved that stupid fool's life.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I guess Olive pretty much summed it up but from what I've read it wasn't that they weren't allowed to see the band but they were passing an area with skylifts with cameras and construction stuff and Jerry told them not to enter, out of their own security, they never allow any "outsider" in those areas. And then they started to fight with him.

I think it went as far as U2 sueing them for this event. Haven't heard how it ended though.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

I met president Zedillo a couple years ago, through my job, and oddly enough, this incident is all I could think of the whole time. I still find it pretty amusing that U2 was foremost in my mind even when meeting the president of mexico.
smile.gif

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
You may refer to my sis as dudette, or as we affectionately call her around here...Sula!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Chris

Whoa! Totally excellent!

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
I met president Zedillo a couple years ago, through my job, and oddly enough, this incident is all I could think of the whole time. I still find it pretty amusing that U2 was foremost in my mind even when meeting the president of mexico.
smile.gif

DO you work with "The Body?"

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Isn't this why U2 won't tour Mexico anymore??? Because they wouldn't apologize??

that's foreseeable but what i had read the published reason is that they had been ripped off by some promoter(i think during popmart) in mexico and would not go back through them.

?i dunno?

I was at that concert, what happened was that, this stupid guy ( the son of, thankfully EX-president of Mexico) wanted a better view to the show, so he went to a spot that could be dangerous since it could get in the path of one of the camera cranes. He was asked to leave, but he refused, so Jerry Meale tryed to take him out, Jerry put him in the floor, and then was when one of this guy bodyguards hitted Jerry meale in the head, causing him wounds that I believe still don't allow him to work, obviously U2 was really pissed, this happened the first night, for the second show the following night (that is the show that was broadcasted and taped) they didn't want to go on stage, Ernesto Zedillo invited them to have a breakfast in the President house and APOLOGIZED to them, Zedillo promised to pay all the expenses of Jerry Meale, and pay him and indemnization, thus U2 went on stage that night, that is the show we all know.
Unfortunatelly as many politicians Zedillo didn't fullfill his promise of paying an indemnization to Jerry Meale.
Bono and Zedillo were in the same panel in the last NY OCDE meeting, I wonder if the talked about the subject.
Speaking about they not comming to Mexico for that incident, I think is easy to say that is reason, but I find that would be dumb to think that cuz of one fan they will not come to a place where they have sell out every show after minutes the tickets have gone on sale, even for Popmart, when for instance, they had to play to half filled stadiums in the USA.
Bono have talked about that incident many times to Mexico media, and he has always made clear that this is not a reason for not comming, and I believe him. Maybe the only way to make this incident pass is that Jerry Meale get his compensation, and that U2 comes back.
Mexico U2 fan clubs have made campaign even asking Zedillo to pay what he promissed, needless to say is that Zedillo was the last president from a ruling party that was 71 years in power, we had our frist "totally free" election in 2000, and this party (PRI) lost the elections, things don't change as easy but I think our country is moving in the right direction.
No ones dislike more this incident that we mexicans, it's a shame that your country name is tarnished by this kind of people.
So... I just hope U2 come back one day to our country.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Thanks for posting that, raffie. That is a shame. I hope U2 returns to Mexico someday.
frown.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by rafmed:
Speaking about they not comming to Mexico for that incident, I think is easy to say that is reason, but I find that would be dumb to think that cuz of one fan they will not come to a place where they have sell out every show after minutes the tickets have gone on sale, even for Popmart, when for instance, they had to play to half filled stadiums in the USA.

I agree. And now that you mention it I remember hearing Bono talk about it too. I'm sure they will be back - I hope so...

Back
Top Bottom