Wave of Sorrow on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

From the video, I got the impression it was written back in 1986 but a vocal track was only properly done now. But like you, I can't be bothered watching the video again to confirm that impression.

I agree with this knowing how the band has worked in the past. They probably came up with this song at the last minute but didn't have the time to finish it properly. Bono and Eno have said as much about some of the b-sides of the period.

I think it is unlikely to be released as a single given how close we are the (US) release date, though it would make a decent alternative Christmas record for those who don't like X-Factor/American Idol et al.

At first I wasn't sure that hearing old song with new vocals would impress me but it seemed pretty cool. Seems much more modern than 1986/7 - I kept thinking that the song could be adapted a bit and put onto an R&B/Rap record... you know the type with someone rapping over it with a few more beats.

Anyway it is good, and you get to hear the song pretty well despite Bono's talking over it and since it is free there is no reason no to listen unless you don't like spoilers.

Another thing which occurred to be is that maybe this is U2 trying to do "viral advertising" to appeal to people. I've not seen this kind of thing by U2 before and this "hey look I'm a megastar with a shaky cam just doing my thing" is an unusual step (though there was the Day In The Life of The Edge). Either way it is good to hear new (old) music :)

thelaj said:

Seems much more modern than 1986/7

To me, much of U2's music is timeless, they have that unusual gift of creating music that is so enduring.

If Bono says they're still looking for feedback, I get the impression that maybe it's still not quite "finished."

I really liked the song...and wonder what it would've sounded like using 1987 Bono vocals:scratch: :scratch: and while I enjoyed his "live" performance, I would've liked to hear more of the recorded version in the background without Bono singing and then maybe some of it with him singing. I imagine he's just like us though, when a U2 song comes on, he just wants to sing it.

To be honest I'm more interested in hearing the classic JT tracklisting remastered than the outtakes.

^ Definitely same here... I had never been able to afford the Gold edition JT and always wanted it. I love JT but some of it is so hard to listen to.

I only have a poor mp3 copy of Luminous Times, Walk to the Water, and Race Against Time and am looking forward to those songs remastered too!

I liked this a lot. The images were a lot more evocative than what he's been writing this decade, the knees/soul/heart shout-outs notwithstanding (a sign of the cliche-ridden future). He's come full circle in a way, though he's much more involved now, yet isn't able to write about it as poetically.

What's strange is that if you told me this was leaked new material I'd believe it. It sounds more African than most of what I've heard from the band before, far from the America-influenced sound of The Joshua Tree (where I don't think it would have fit at all).

Even with Bono singing over most of it, I'd say it sounds about 10x better than tripe like Window in the Skies or Hands That Built America.

I have to say I didn't really like it. Thought it was bland:| I feel like people are getting excited about it because its from the Joshua Tree demos. If they did it today people wouldn't really like it as much.

From the video I am taking it that the song, including lyrics were written during the Joshua Tree sessions. Bono says something about the lyrics being about his and Ali's time in Africa and I'm assuming by that he means the time before the Joshua Tree sessions.

What's probably happened is that the vocal track for the Wave of Sorrow 'demo' was never finished off properly during the JT sessions and for the band to feel it worth being included, Bono has gone in the studio and finished it off now.

I'd say it's likely that there are not many unheard/unfinished demos left from the Joshua Tree sessions that have either not been heard before or have not developed into something else and what is being included on the deluxe box set version is pretty much everything that is left from that time.

I don't think you can get much out of the video clip on U2.com to be honest so I'll reserve my judgement for the song after I've heard it in full, loudly, through my stereo. Seeing the Joshua Tree era is my favorite, I'm really looking forward to this deluxe box set.

Beatiful song, as good as the Joshua Tree we know now!!! 11/20 can't come any sooner!!!

I had the feeling that this was being trumped up to be released as a single, and I wouldn't doubt if it is released to radio sometime soon. It certainly wouldn't do any worse than WITS.

Interesting song...:yes:

I liked it alot. I like the mood and the melody and Bono's lyrics. Usually it takes me a few listens to get new/unheard U2 material but with this song it struck me right away. Can't wait to hear the studio version without Bono's commentary lol.

gherman said:
I have to say I didn't really like it. Thought it was bland:| I feel like people are getting excited about it because its from the Joshua Tree demos. If they did it today people wouldn't really like it as much.

Personally I could care less where it came from. It's "new" material we haven't heard before so whatever relationship it has to any previous album has no bearing as far as I'm concerend. Achtung Baby is my favorite U2 album so would I be more excited about this if it were an Achtung Baby demo? Not a chance. I'm excited about quality music not whether a song has ties to a cetain era or album.

gherman said:

what??

You're thinking too much into it...people don't like a song simply because of its origin...If someone doesn't like it, they aren't going to force themselves to like it because it's tied to JT in some way..you either like the way it sounds and it grows on you in some way or you don't like it..

and for the most part it is a new song!

Rock legend Bono reveals a new U2 song - on Facebook.

The U2 frontman is seen sitting in a living room and recorded on a CAMERA PHONE as he sings along to new track ‘Wave of Sorrow’.

And even though he had only finished recording it two days previously, he amazingly forgets most of the words and is seen mumbling along for large sections of the song.

Bono then agreed for the track to posted on iLike on Facebook, asking fans to leave feedback onto whether it is up to scratch or needs more work.

It gives fans an amazingly intimate insight into the legendary rock star.

Hadi Partovi, co-founder of iLike, said: “It means a lot to me and I think it’s a little bit of rock’n'roll history.”

Bono is also seen discussing the track, which he first started writing for 1987’s Joshua Tree album but is only being finished now ready for the remastered release to celebrate the landmark album’s 20th anniversary.

Hadi added: “On a personal note, I was in the room when this video was filmed.

My brother recorded it on his cameraphone. Now that’s a memory to treasure!”

Even more amazingly, the track went out to iLike users before the rest of the band even got to hear it.

“The band played on it but they haven’t heard the final [track],” Bono explains, saying that he never finished the vocal in 1987.

“I got a message from The Edge last night, I posted it to him, and he said I had a future in the music business.”

Bono also described what inspired the religious sounding track.

“It’s a song that’s trying to describe the experiences I had when myself and Ali, my missus, were working in Ethiopia, we worked in Ethiopia during the famine.

“We saw all these sights that you shouldn’t see.

“People were walking all through the night to this feeding station and laying their children down, sometimes they would be dead.

“It looked like a concentration camp, but the barbed wire was to keep people out, not in, which is f****d up.”

Hadi believes that the clip could inspire other artists to follow U2’s lead.

“Since we started iLike a year ago, our vision has been to bring people together through music.

“As others follow U2’s lead, this could transform how artists connect with fans.”

Interesting, JC, thanks!

Some interesting and also funny quotes in there.

And I wouldn't say he had forgotten most of the words, he was doing fine in the beginning, but got a little shakey in the end ... but he, it's Bono! And wanting to talk and sing at the same time just has to be confusing.

Nice that he's looking for feedback from the public before he's presenting the song to the band. I wonder what they think of that.

Back
Top Bottom