Wave of Sorrow on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:
That's what I like about these lyrics: they show both sides of the country, the good and the bad. It's not moralizing, just telling various aspects of the country's story.

The lyrics have Bono's personal experience in it, as well as historical metaphors. It's quite a story to tell, I like it. And the lyrics were written back then, so that was Bono's way of expressing what he experienced in Ethiopia. I find it very honest, yet poetic.

Are you sure the lyrics were written back then and not just written now? If he'd already written the lyrics, it wouldn't have been that hard to sing them, no? It sounds so much like a new Bono song. Then again, it could just be the way he sings it.

I DO remember liking American Prayer, though, just not the kids at the end, but they should maybe work on that.

Were the lyrics written back in 86 and never laid down to music before, or are they new lyrics?

The way he talks about the song suggests he wrote it some time ago, but the way everyone is carrying on i can't be totally certain, and i can't be bothered re-watching the video.

To me, it sounds like he wrote the song for JT, but they never finished it, he just laid down the vocals now. He said: I never got to sing it to them (the band), so I guess the lyrics are older. But for all we know, he could have re-worked the lyrics now as well.

coolian2 said:
Were the lyrics written back in 86 and never laid down to music before, or are they new lyrics?

The way he talks about the song suggests he wrote it some time ago, but the way everyone is carrying on i can't be totally certain, and i can't be bothered re-watching the video.

From the video, I got the impression it was written back in 1986 but a vocal track was only properly done now. But like you, I can't be bothered watching the video again to confirm that impression.

Axver said:

From the video, I got the impression it was written back in 1986 but a vocal track was only properly done now. But like you, I can't be bothered watching the video again to confirm that impression.

I can't be bothered to watch it...full stop.

Given the mp3 of that, and u2.com's reports, he did new vocals. I never saw anything posted about him writing new lyrics.

Aardvark747 said:
I can't be bothered to watch it...full stop.

:lol:

You aren't missing too much as I don't think you get a good impression at all of the track's musical qualities.

So could this song make the new album or is it simply a B-side on the new Joshua Tree deluxe edition that may get released as a single? Pretty good song by the way.

Laughing Gas. said:
a B-side on the new Joshua Tree deluxe edition that may get released as a single?

:yes:

This is not new U2 material.

edit: I don't know - would they release a 20 year old song as a single ? It would be one way to explain the new vocals...

Last edited:
Maybe that's why Bono added new vocals and his 2007 voice so it can be released and packaged as a new song like WITS :hmm:

[/possiblystatingtheobvious] :lol: :reject:

Is anyone thinking this song is also gonna be released as a single? I don't think so. It would be really strange to release a single that actually is a demo from a 20-years old album.

But it would make it a lot easier for the band to fill the next Best Of. :wink:

wow...the cynicism of some on this board astounds me.....I remember a time when over half of the commentary wasn't disparaging of the band....oh the glory days....

regarding the song- I suspect that the music and most of the lyrics were written back in the 80's. However, there may have been some changes and additions when bono laid down new vocals for the track. Personally, I think that most of the lyrics are powerful--though there is a line that felt a little crowded. I actually like the biblical references regarding Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. One needs to remember that for Bono, his concern for the continent and his spiritual beliefs are closely tied...and to me...this song is an attempt to reconcile 2 things-
the overwhelming poverty he saw on his trip/the material abundance of Christians in the west 2. the former majesty of the Continent/the current tragedy of its impoverishment

I like it alot, from what I can hear in the clip it sounds really great.

And for those who say they cant be bothered to watch a video clip of a new u2 song again, what is that all about? Are you sure Britney Spears isnt more your thing? lol

wow this realy cool. I like the idea of Bono revisiting his old stuff and redoing it. I got the feeling the lyrics were mostly writen now they sound like it at least and knowing Bono even if the lyrics were writen in 86 he would have changed them.

But I wish I could hear it clearler without him talking and singing over it wich is still kind of cool u can tell he is excited about it and is really into it.

For me though the most important thing about this is from what I could hear in the new vocals is that B's voice sounds excellent, very strong on the song - that is good news for the new album seeing how he suposidly just did these vocals for the song.

the part at the end with the waaAAAAVE is pretty sweet. I like the historical base of the song, pretty awesome, also the neat revisiting of the Beatitudes.

Uh, folks, if there were going to be a promo single, don't you think we'd already not just know about it, but have our copies by now? The remaster itself is due out in barely a week.

Bean Skidds said:
And for those who say they cant be bothered to watch a video clip of a new u2 song again, what is that all about? Are you sure Britney Spears isnt more your thing? lol

Oh, funny man you are.

No, it's more because the audio quality isn't good at all and I'm much more keen to hear the song itself than Bono simply singing over the top of a faintly distinguishable song. Plus, going to the effort of visiting a website as horrible as U2.com just doesn't seem worth it.

It's cool to have the little preview of the song, and it was interesting having Bono talk about it, but yeah - it's a tiny little screen and it's hard to really hear the song beneath it.

It did get me more excited for the 20th, though! I did like what I heard.

i'm really impressed by it; and am more excited for the release because of it.

off the top of my head, I can't think of him enfolding so much concrete historical content into a song before this; he does it very well.

uteotw comes to mind, but those lyrics are more emotional and relational- some of these lyrics are like storytelling, lyrics that painting images of a distant time and place, as well as the same time in the present (give or take 20 years).

a few clunky lines, but overall very good.

the music reminds me of "Because the Night" or something off the "In the Name of the Father" soundtrack

Musically it doesn't grab me as something great, but it's a solid b-side. I really like the lyrics, the melody, and just Bono's voice on it...basically I think Bono pretty much owns this song. The rest of the band is aight on it. reminds me of Luminious Times, which of course makes sense given the era. I'll be able to judge better once we have a good quality copy.

Nice to hear "new" U2 and I love watching/hearing Bono talk about it. So cute :cute:

sue4u2 said:
Can it be viewed even if you're not a member?

I CAN be bothered, even enough to go to another computer - but not 40 (or whatever) bucks worth. :wink:

I was able to see it, and I've never given them $40.

sue4u2 said:
Can it be viewed even if you're not a member?

I CAN be bothered, even enough to go to another computer - but not 40 (or whatever) bucks worth. :wink:

No, it's also available for non-subscribers (like me), just follow the direct link .... or watch it on you tube.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave :drool:

Wow! That was high...

Im glad that they didnt use some of the old vocal from 86/87 on this song. WhY? Well, a JT outtake song that is released for the first time as a studio version with Bono's new voice. :drool:

The songs sounds very good also.

Back
Top Bottom