Watching Rattle and Hum, you really appreciate Larry's drumming... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Larry's drumming on Bass Trap --

Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

I think the majority here, and I agree, have said he has gotten "less interesting", not "worse"
Yes well, less interesting = worse in these forums.

Can't wait for Larrs Ulrich to get out.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Lars Ulrich?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Lars Ulrich?

Lars Ulrich vs Larry Mullen Jr.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM

but what has lars ulrich got to do with this thread?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:52 AM
I don't blame Larry.

U2 is no longer a post-punk rock band and no longer requires abrasive drumming to propel their songs. Considering Larry did some marshal-style drumming before U2, that's what bled through to those early records before he refined his sound. You could say he's grown to be a more well-rounded drummer and no longer needs to rely on the snare to kick a song into gear.

As far as the whole showiness vs. playing for the song argument - it's a load of bullshit. Listen to Keith Moon on most Who tracks, or Bonham on early Zeppelin like the debut album. It's completely possible to play for the song while having the chops to add some flair to an intro or a gap before the chorus.

"Playing for the song" is a very justifiable mantra for leaving a solo out of the album version of WOWY, but it is too often used as an excuse to justify Edge resting on his laurels for the last 8 years with the same old sound.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I don't blame Larry.

U2 is no longer a post-punk rock band and no longer requires abrasive drumming to propel their songs. Considering Larry did some marshal-style drumming before U2, that's what bled through to those early records before he refined his sound. You could say he's grown to be a more well-rounded drummer and no longer needs to rely on the snare to kick a song into gear.

As far as the whole showiness vs. playing for the song argument - it's a load of bullshit. Listen to Keith Moon on most Who tracks, or Bonham on early Zeppelin like the debut album. It's completely possible to play for the song while having the chops to add some flair to an intro or a gap before the chorus.

"Playing for the song" is a very justifiable mantra for leaving a solo out of the album version of WOWY, but it is too often used as an excuse to justify Edge resting on his laurels for the last 8 years with the same old sound.
Those are two great examples but I would argue that those songs/bands/arrangments demanded that kind of playing not unlike what Larry brings to U2. Eitehr way, I'll take great songs over great musicians any day of the week. When you can get two for one (the who, led zep etc.), even better. As a matter of preference, I'll take a band like Echo & The Bunnymen (talk about interesting drumming, check the first four albums) over a band like Yes (or even Tool for you young folks) every time.

And (this isn't necessarily directed at your post) he still has chops. He ripped it up on Electric Co. early on in the tour when they were playing a lot of songs off of Boy.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by skott100

And (this isn't necessarily directed at your post) he still has chops. He ripped it up on Electric Co. early on in the tour when they were playing a lot of songs off of Boy.
I really liked his reworking of the drum part for The Fly this tour. He was playing it really showy with lots of flourish instead of the usual booming stuff on the toms from ZooTV and it really gave the song new legs.