Was Window in the Skies a "hit"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
Dear Canadians:

It was a South Park reference, not a challenge to your general wonderfulness.

:tsk: There's too much nation-bashing going on today. Why can't we just hold hands and sing Kumbaya like common hippes?

I'm pretty sure it didn't chart in the U.S. When they started playing it on the radio (October-November I think) I heard it like three times in one week and then never again.

LyricalDrug said:

Heheh. I know what you mean, but he actually said Window in the Skies "might be our best song." Now, he ALWAYS says that jive about albums, but the only time I've ever heard him say it about another song was for "Stay."

Who was it that talked up "Electrical Storm" like that? Edge right? Not that it's that big of a stretch, personally one of my favorites.

As for WITS, it was a pretty big radio hit, at least when compared to the latter singles off of the Bomb, but I think it may have done better more separated from Saints.

hillers said:
I'm pretty sure it didn't chart in the U.S. When they started playing it on the radio (October-November I think) I heard it like three times in one week and then never again.

Hillers, it wasn't "officially" a radio single until January 1st, it did leak and play a bit on the radio prior to that obviously.

I think 'Window In The Skies' is great, overall -- certainly great melody (one of their best ever), great vocals, cool arrangement, and you can't beat that big, shiny chorus. The only complaint I would make it that, lyrically, it's a plate of platitudes on a McDonalds tray.

'Electrical Storm' is one of my favorites, too. Basically, I love everything they've ever done, with a few rare exceptions. When you've been around as long as they have, I don't start playing the "it's-too-overproduced/commercialized-and-it's-not-experimental-and-genre-busting-anymore" kind of game.

Actually it is a very nice tune – along with "Saints" – it was a nice addition to the otherwise for die-hards not that interesting "U2 18" and I still do hope, U2 will play this tune on their next tour live more often than in 2006.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What would be the other three?

My other worst 3 u2 songs would be (which means my least favorites)............Red Light, When I look at the world and Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl

gman said:

My other worst 3 u2 songs would be (which means my least favorites)............Red Light, When I look at the world and Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl

Interesting list... Windows isn't one of my favorites by any means, I just find it hard to believe it's one of their worse. But oh well...

I can't honestly figure out what defines a "hit" in the US these days. With fewer and fewer singles and more congestion than ever in the Top 40, how someone gets a hit is beyond me. U2 seems to have nailed their own coffin shut when they stopped releasing States-side singles. Sure, "BD" was a hit, but that was seven years ago. "Vertigo" was a hit mostly because of the iPod ads.

Just another pop song for more money... The only U2 song with Beautiful Day I hear on the radio, so I can say it was a hit.

Window in the Skies is 5/4 time!
My mother in-law died from a heart attack around the time it was a radio hit & it will always remind me of her.

It was a hit I suppose but nowhere near their real big hit single, Not bad by their 2000's standards but not one of the highpoints of their career as a whole.
I didn't think the video was as great as people said either, one of their better efforts of this decade but that's not saying a lot.

In AUstralia, and by U2's lofty standards, Windows IN The Sky was not a hit at all. U2 hits in Australia include Beautiful Day, Sweetest Thing, All I Want Is You, One, With or Without You, Numb, Lemon and even Discotheque (which debuted at 3 I think and went on to spend about 2 months in the top 20, which is quite astonishing for the lead single from such an unfashionable and unfortunately forgotten part of the U2 canon - it think it might have charted better than Beautiful Day and most certainly charted better than Vertigo)

I don't think the Australian mainstream commercial popular music climate was all that accommodating towards a song like Windows In The Sky top be honest. It just wasn't what the people were craving, They want Missy Higgins and Pete Murray instead.

socceroo said:
My mother in-law died from a heart attack around the time it was a radio hit & it will always remind me of her.

Isn't it 6/8?
1,2,3 / 1,2,3 / 1,2,3 / 1,2,3

I don't think Larry or the fans could handle 5/4!

/dorkspeak

socceroo said:

sorry about your mother-in-law...

hope the song sweetens the memories of that time.

WITS is absolutely not in 5/4 time. In fact, no U2 is. Outside of Soundgarden, you don't really hear 5/4 on the radio. The theme music from Halloween, oddly enough, is in 5/4 time (some utterly useless trivia for you there!)

Anyway, for whatever its worth, as someone who's played drums for more than 20 years (and the last 5 years have been in a U2 tribute band) here are the U2 songs that are in 6/8:

Streets (intro/outro)
Trip Through Your Wires
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Windows In The Skies

And that's it. Everything else is 4/4.

skott100 said:
WITS is absolutely not in 5/4 time. In fact, no U2 is. Outside of Soundgarden, you don't really hear 5/4 on the radio. The theme music from Halloween, oddly enough, is in 5/4 time (some utterly useless trivia for you there!)

Anyway, for whatever its worth, as someone who's played drums for more than 20 years (and the last 5 years have been in a U2 tribute band) here are the U2 songs that are in 6/8:

Streets (intro/outro)
Trip Through Your Wires
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Windows In The Skies

And that's it. Everything else is 4/4.

Window in the Skies, Acrobat, Drowning Man, Love Is Blindness, J. Swallow, Slow Dancing (IGWSHA one), Race Against Time, Streets (intro) and Trip Through Your Wires, for being more precise :wink:

Well done! J Swallow!? Oh my God way to dig deep, but you're absolutely right. Same with Race and Slow Dancing too. Nice!

Drowning Man is SO weird... It's such an odd arrangment that to this day I can only guess where the downbeat is. We recently started playing it live and I've been counting it in 4/4.

skott100 said:

Drowning Man is SO weird... It's such an odd arrangment that to this day I can only guess where the downbeat is. We recently started playing it live and I've been counting it in 4/4.

Yeah, this song is more complex than it seems

Yeah it's tricky. It took us a while to get our heads around it but eventually it ended up sounding really good. I think maybe it's in 4/4 but Adam is playing in 37/12 or some crazy thing that made sense to him at the age of 24. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom