Was POP that bad???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fritz

The Fly
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what everyone thought, was POP that bad of an album?? Yes, alot of people did not like Discotheque (I did:macdevil: ) or Do You Feel Loved, even MOFO. But the album had many great songs. What do you think.

fritz

POP seemed to go over like a fart in church with a lot of people, but I thought it was a great album. Granted, it has it's lower points, but lyrically and vocally, it's one of Bono's best performances album-wise. "Please" is one of my favorite songs, and POP gets dissed way too much!!!:yes:

No it's not a bad album...Pop made me discover U2. My favorite songs on it are DYFL, Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Gone, Miami and Please. Like Achtung Zooropa said it was very misunderstood when it came out and fans didn't really give it a chance which is a shame...

Bad?? :confused:
It's one of U2's best IMHO. It's in my opinion one hell of an album, because of the innovation, because the guys were not afraid to push the limits, because most of the songs are unbelievably well rounded off, because it is visceral, because the lyrics are brilliant.

In particular I feel a deep empathy with what Bono is trying to say on Pop that's why this album touches my soul. :heart:
I find it conveys so well the torment of having to come to terms with oneself and the spiritual quest. The counterbalance between the content of some lyrics, intensely personal, intimate and delving into the intricacies of the soul with the fury (MofO) and density (Gone/Please) they are shot at us, or the light disguises under which they are delivered (Staring at the Sun) is absolutely glorious Then there are the W O N D E R F U L Miami and Velvet (on different aspects, obviously).

On another aspect I loved the irony that it had to be guys on the verge of their 40s (my generation) to show the world how to make new music, to sow the seeds for the reinvention of rock'n'roll (or whatever it is), to light the way (thank you UV) towards the future of music. It's comforting to see that our generation has still a lot to show for before we're kicked aside as a pile of junk, or exposed as living museum stock, as The Rolling Stones or the Men who Came Back from Hell (Steve Tyler's gang). :cool:

At first I was so disappointed, I hated it. I listened to it all the way through twice, and then put it away. I couldn't believe U2 could make such an awful record. Then, I started getting Wake Up Dead Man stuck in my head all the time, so I broke down and started listening to that every once in awhile. Then, I started listening to the whole album. I really liked Miami next. Then the Playboy Mansion. (still one of my very favourites) Then I started liking the entire album. ;) It took me a few months, but now I absolutely love every single track. It's my second favourite U2 album.

The album that also introduced me to U2. I just could not believe the sound that the album created. This huge fucking noise that was unlike anything I'd ever come across. It will always remain one of my favorites albums and collection of songs by U2.

- z -

First, let me just say that I'm so glad to see that this is not another anti-POP thread. I love that album! I became a fan during the Popmart Tour. It is brilliant from Discotheque to Wake up Dead Man.

I was one of those long-time U2 fans who hated Pop - at least when it first came out. After listening to it for the first time I wanted to throw it across the room, that's how disappointed I was. But now, five years later, I have really begun to appreciate Staring at the Sun, Please, Gone, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, If God Will Send His Angels. Pop is still a long, long ways from being my favorite U2 album, but I no longer believe it was a disaster or a mistake.

I really love POP.

I don't know why it's so under-rated. It's far better as an album as a whole then "War" (which, granted has two great tracks).

Brilliant lyrically, "Please", "Wake Up Dead Man" and "Last Night On Earth" are as good as any U2!

If anyone wants to start a petition to vindicate POP then I will gladly sign it!

POP started it all for me , it was one of the first cd's that i bought , excellent work , pretty dark though .

For me, Pop is a great essay in school, but not a good set of tunes, in the most basic sense.

I love the way the tunes on ATYCLB as well as AB and JT just HAVE to get stuck in your head and you just HAVE to tap your foot along to the groove. I don't think that happens on Pop, at least for me.

I believe that is why the public didn't like the album too much and why it's U2's "ugly duckling."

A great album !

If I remember correctly Discotheque began getting heavy rotation on the radio in early January but Staring At The Sun came out like in late April or May. Whether they used STATS or Gone as the second single I believe they ought to have released the second single around the time of the album release in March. Discotheque is a great rock song but it seems that a lot of people had a problem with the video. An earlier second single and a less of full throttle satire / irony video along with it could have done some ?damage control.?

Most importantly the experimentation with the music (techno ? trip hop ? trance ?etc.) and the setting of a dance club or a rave serves a symbol for Pop Culture. It?s escapism ? distraction ? superficiality ? consumerism ? hedonism ? etc. I was pleased with their new musical experimentation. Instead of thinking of a dance club one could think of a shopping mall or satellite television or the internet. I wonder if they ever thought of releasing it as a double album. The lyrics are very heavy dealing with the experience of Pop Culture and its effects on one?s self / conscience ? one?s relationship with one?s spouse or lover ? and one?s relationship with God. I see the main character of POP in a struggle ? a crisis ? trying to break free from its slavery and addictions.

The last 4 songs are quite slow. I remember reading Bono describing it as starting off with party then its turns into a hangover. I don?t mind that but if it was a double album they could have had room for some more experimentation and a couple harder songs. An opportunity to further expand upon the story. A time to totally let loose and go-for-it type of thing. The third album of the second trilogy was kind like this. It was almost a true double album. I would have been further impressed if they left the live covers of their own songs ? Still Haven?t Found ? Silver And Gold ? Pride ? Bullet and included other R&H type of material or live covers of other artists songs. They were going to be negatively criticized by some for exploring and paying tribute to roots of rock anyway. I believe the same thing applies to the third album of the third trilogy ? POP. They were going to be negatively criticized by some anyway.

There are recent rumours about them remixing POP. I can?t see them radically altering every song but I could see them giving a major overhaul to Playboy Mansion and tweaking STATS. With 2 singles and Part 1 and Part 2 for each from the Best Of The 90s they have plenty of room to release these remixed POP songs and lots of other stuff.

FRIDAY NIGHT

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
MOFO

SATURDAY DAYTIME

Staring At The Sun (the finished version that Larry said that could been as big as WOWY and One)
North And South Of The River
I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)

SATURDAY NIGHT

Heaven In Your Heart (the Howie B Hairy B Mix of Discotheque - a Hip Hop Techno song)
First Night In Hell (A Instrumental Mix of LNOE though it has nothing in common with it ? a heavy hard techno song)
Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)

SUNDAY DAYTIME

Miami
Playboy Mansion (it could really use a reworking ? either experiment with it like Heaven In Your Heart or Miami or make it more of a rock song like LNOE or Gone)
Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
Gone

SUNDAY NIGHT

If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please (Single Version)
Wake Up Dead Man

I am thoroughly convinced that it was the marketing of the album and not the songs that resulted in POP's scarred reputation. The videos and the POPMart tour were ill conceived and here's why--They had already committed to tour dates before the album was done. Therefore, I feel, they rushed the Tour concept. What they ended uo with was something that was really (IMO) an extension of ZOO TV and an attempt to " TOP" ZOO TV. This was the first time that U2 did NOT go in a different direction after a previous success. If you look at the reviews of POP before all the videos and the tour began--they were ALL stellar (NY TImes, Spin, RS, etc) This was definitley a case where perception became reality.

Bono's American Wife said:

Me too. I don't see the purpose in anyone continually having to defend liking it or hating it.

The reason people feel the need to defend their opinion about Pop is because the overall attitude towards the album is indifferent. Therefore, people are always trying to justify why it's great or why it's not so great. I think you'll notice there are not TOO MANY similar debates about AB, JT or ATYCLB.

My feelings about POP. Some good songs like SATS, Gone and Please. Too many mediocre songs like Miami, Mansion, MOFO.

Lyrically one of Bono's Weakest. Examples.
"The Blind Leading the Blond"
"If Coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson...History"
"a Big Mac bigger than you think"

How anyone can consider these lyrics strong, is beyond me.

Not a super bad album, but by U2 standards, it is bad.

Alot of people on these boards adore this album because it's how they got introduced to U2 or because they love anything associated with the Character "U" and the letter "2"

Atleast thats my opinion.

I like the album, its pretty great in a lot of places, the only let-downs for me are Miami and Playboy Mansion.

On the subject of Pop,were all the singles re-done versions? I've only just heard the "Please" single and its quite different to the album. What about the others? And is there anywhere I can download them?:yes:

Thanks in advance. :) :) :)

Pop was the last U2 album I bought because of it's bad rap, and I fully expected to hate it The three I'd bought before that were Boy, October, and JT and I was hugely disappointed with them (how I learned to love them is a different story). So I said to meself, "Self, you have every single U2 album but Pop so you might as well just buy it."
I was at work for four hours that day and I absolutely adored it, I listened to it for the entire four hours. To me a song doesn't have to be lyrical genius to love, or a musical masterpiece.. often times I like some random relatively unimportant thing in the background and go from there.
Call me shallow :shrug:

Pop is not bad.

I love the alblum. If anyone thinks that the lyrics are not good then you should go through wake up dead man or IGWSHA. This album is haunting and has some of U2's finest work. Wake up dead man is such a great song it gives me chills whenever i hear it.

I love this album to death. THis is a different U2 and i like them. It was a rocking album. Much better then soft ATYCLB.

wertsie said:
First, let me just say that I'm so glad to see that this is not another anti-POP thread.

I think it's obvious that was what he was after, trying to stir shit and start a popfight. He must be bored :yawn: :rolleyes: That's why no one took the bait! :D

The only thing I'm going to say is, I just don't want anyone to keep trying to make me like it like 'green eggs and ham' because I still don't, but don't worry I'm not going to :rant:

Me= :censored: :silent:

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:

The only thing I'm going to say is, I just don't want anyone to keep trying to make me like it like 'green eggs and ham' because I still don't, but don't worry I'm not going to :rant:

You have a right to your own opinion, just as much as everyone else. It's all good. :up:

ugh, he wasn't trying to stir anything.

If you guys had been around before PoP was released, all these conversations in places like Wire were about Zooropa.
Im sure atyclb will get its turn soon enough.

pop has always been my get me in the mood to go out and party record, however i always make sure i turn it off before i get to please.

GypsyHeartgirl said:

I think it's obvious that was what he was after, trying to stir shit and start a popfight. He must be bored :yawn: :rolleyes: That's why no one took the bait! :D

Me= :censored: :silent:

I am not board. All I wanted to do is see if the true U2 fans liked POP as much as i do. POP is one of my favorit albums and I wanted to know if other people loved it to. thats all

fritz:mac:

Back
Top Bottom