Was Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me wasted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
picture1tq8.png

I sometimes think this song was too good for a soundtrack. For a band that often gets flack from the general music listening public for 'not rocking enough', this song would've been gold.

With a world-crushing riff that would make Vertigo's 'monster riff' cower in a corner wishing its mommy was there, dark, cynical lyrics, arguably Bono's most devilish vocal performance ever, and an overall attitude of 'fuck you', HMTMKMKM had it all to be huge in the rock music landscape of the mid-late 90s.

I just think, if it had been put on Zooropa or preferably Pop(it's on every custom Pop playlist I make) and released as a single with heavy u2-style promotion instead of just being put on a soundtrack and released as a single with little fanfare, it would've absolutely been one of U2's hugest singles ever.

What do you think? Was HMTMKMKM too good for a soundtrack?

They deemed Until the End of the World as too good for its soundtrack, so I think it was indeed an oversight to leave this off Pop.

I don't know if it was too good for the soundtrack. It also had Seal's Kiss From A Rose which I like. Haven't really heard any of the other songs on that album.

But the song itself is solid! It's sometimes a Top 10 U2 song for me. Amazing on every front, music, lyrics, video... :rockon:

Zootlesque said:
I don't know if it was too good for the soundtrack. It also had Seal's Kiss From A Rose which I like. Haven't really heard any of the other songs on that album.

But the song itself is solid! It's sometimes a Top 10 U2 song for me. Amazing on every front, music, lyrics, video... :rockon:

Well...I didn't just mean too good for the soundtrack it was on...I mean too good for ANY soundtrack.

namkcuR said:
I just think, if it had been put on Zooropa or preferably Pop(it's on every custom Pop playlist I make) and released as a single with heavy u2-style promotion instead of just being put on a soundtrack and released as a single with little fanfare, it would've absolutely been one of U2's hugest singles ever.

Well, Pop didn't come out until 2 years after the release of this single and who knows what would've happened to this song if they sat on it for another 2 years? It doesn't really fit on that album in its current (brilliantly rocking) form.
And this song was one of U2's hugest singles. It was one of THE summer hits in Europe. You heard it everywhere and the video was on high rotation on MTV. They even won a MTV award for Best Band (for what it's worth) only based on that single.

So I don't see it as being 'wasted' on a soundtrack.

namkcuR said:

I sometimes think this song was too good for a soundtrack. For a band that often gets flack from the general music listening public for 'not rocking enough', this song would've been gold.

The only flack I hear of U2 not "rocking" out enough is from Shaun, I've never heard the general public complain.

That being said, this song got more airplay than anything off Pop and did very well for a soundtrack song, if anything this song helped U2 quite a bit.

I kinda stopped listening to this when I noticed the similarities between it and Children of the Revolution.

Plus, I really listened to it to death, so I am kinda sick of it. =p

I don't think it fitted on pop, it's a complete different song from what's on that album.... and as a soundtrack it got way more attention and radio play... it was a sucessful single

its a great song and i think it should have been recognized more. although i am glad it was on batman forever because the movie came out when i was 5 or 6 ((and i was obsessed)) so i was able to hear U2! :wink:

we're talking about u2 here, They are well known for leaving the great songs out and releasing mediocre ones instead...see walk to the water, north and south of the river, two shots..., a celebration etc

In a way it was wasted, as good as POP was it would have been been that much better with this in the tracklisting.

it's :drool:

I like the fact that it wasn't on any U2 album. One of the coolest things about the Beatles is that as well as releasing about 9 pretty damn good albums in 7 years they had a load of singles that didnt feature on their albums eg Strawberry fields, Paperback writer etc. It's something I wish u2 would do more often.
I don't know why it hasn't been played live since Popmart, it was a big success then.

Yep one of their best songs on that tour. It could have fit very well this tour but he maybe next time, with some more POP songs as well. :drool:

namkcuR said:

With a world-crushing riff that would make Vertigo's 'monster riff' cower in a corner wishing its mommy was there

I'm sorry but I disagree...Vertigo riff > HMTMKMKM riff

in fact I think I like Vertigo better as a song :shrug: at least i sure listen to it more...crazy i know

was it wasted on a soundtrack? no, it did quite well. I don't think it would have done any better on an album...and I don't think it would have fit Zooropa or Pop, really. well, maybe Pop... but I'm fine with it not being on an album :shrug:

HMTMKMKM wasn`t wasted I think , it did very well.
I don`t think it would fit so good on POP.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. They should play HMTMKMKM on the next tour again.
It was The Electric Co of the Popmart tour.
Can you imagine both got played next tour that would be:drool:

I think it's more of a waste that they don't play it anymore. It fit so perfectly in Popmart.

In some ways I feel like the fact that it was on a soundtrack helped it, because a lot of people who wouldn't necessarily buy U2 albums heard it. Those of us who were already fans knew where to track it down, but it also might've exposed some people to the band.

I don't think it was wasted. It really was successful when it came out.

I don't think it really matters what context it was released..

Back
Top Bottom